2024 WTT Champions Incheon 03.27-03.31 Korea

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
After Xu Xin and Niwa retire, I was rooting for Gauzy. Dam he hit way too hard on his BH. He was so so close......

Disappointing that he lost
Gauzy may not have any major titles, but he might just own the rally of the year for two consecutive years (last year with Felix and two contenders for this year in just one match with LJK). Guy is a showman through and through and is definitely one of the most entertaining players at the moment. If his winning percentage were just a little bit better, he'd probably a bigger fan favorite.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think this’ll be a regular thing from now on. Ma Long the pioneer in his 30’s
Many amateurs and pros already do this once they have different rubbers on both sides, twiddling with inverted is already a thing, the problem is that most players don't have technique that they can use to take advantage of it during a rally, and it will often make them play worse. But it is more common for players to play the same rubber exactly on both sides or to have a bigger contrast that would require significant training to disrupt the opponent so I suspect it will not be that common unless like ML, it is the same rubber in different sponge hardness.

I'm not sure why Harimoto is even attempting to serve fast down the line to the FH sweet spot of right handed BH dominant players. Or even half long. That is precisely the most dangerous spot to place it. If he was putting reverse sidespin to make the angle wider against someone who is pivoting frequently, maybe it can be justifiable. But his opponents are not even pivoting lol. Imo just really bad tactics and cost him some crucial points in a tight match.

The correct place to serve for FH pendulum is FH short, BH short very wide, and long to elbow + deep BH.
I don't understand many services from some players. Tactical blunders already from their service. Well, then try to create a point in a slightly or somewhat easy way.

This user has no status.
Many amateurs and pros already do this once they have different rubbers on both sides, twiddling with inverted is already a thing, the problem is that most players don't have technique that they can use to take advantage of it during a rally, and it will often make them play worse. But it is more common for players to play the same rubber exactly on both sides or to have a bigger contrast that would require significant training to disrupt the opponent so I suspect it will not be that common unless like ML, it is the same rubber in different sponge hardness.
People like Ma Long and Chen Meng who play similar rubbers on both sides can try doing this, I can’t imagine players do this who use tacky on one side and Tenergy/dignics (except 09c) on the other. But I’ve never seen any pro player do this at such a prestigious international tournament.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I don't understand many services from some players. Tactical blunders already from their service. Well, then try to create a point in a slightly or somewhat easy way.
It's a result of two things - one is desperation and a desire to get into a rally quickly. But the more critical thing is having practice partners on the level of the opponent to make you realize this is a huge mistake. Harimoto can do what he did against 99% of players and get decent results blocking and countering. The four or five player that he can do it against and not get good results under pressure all come from one country that he almost never gets to train against.

Look at Liang Jingkun and imagine you are Harimoto or LYJ - how are you going to practice against that backhand variation, often off the bounce, using hard sponge Tacky rubber on both sides? I sometimes feel sorry for the opponents.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
People like Ma Long and Chen Meng who play similar rubbers on both sides can try doing this, I can’t imagine players do this who use tacky on one side and Tenergy/dignics (except 09c) on the other. But I’ve never seen any pro player do this at such a prestigious international tournament.
I have seen people do it for service (twiddle to H3 to serve even if they use inverted on both sides), and obviously for smashing. But it would take a lot for it to become a meaningful advantage for rallying and blocking. I do remember that LJK did turn over his racket for a whole tournament in China to take advantage of blue sponge on backhand, but that is not quite the same thing as we are discussing here.

That said, I am now curious about whether I should be using 38 or 37 degree sponge on backhand. Will give it a test some time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
But they wouldn't really send LJK to the Olympics, would they?
They could make him an injury reserve for sure. As for playing singles over FZD, FZD is probably still fixable. A lot will depend on whether Hugo beat LJK tomorrow or not. If LJK wins, then pressure will be on FZD to dominate for the rest of pre-Olympic year.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Comments over at Yahoo Japan for those who live in bubbles. After 14 losses (13 in this Olympic cycle, FFS), even the folks in Japan are starting to face reality.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/7cb4f0563a4e455da854598decabb8349d344dc8/comments
ken********9時間前
左の早田選手はシングルス2点より寧ろダブルスで1勝を取りに行くのが良いと思う。そしてダブルスの1人のCとZは第3試合シングルスで対戦するので相手は孫穎莎ではない。ここで1勝できればあとは平野の爆発力で3勝目。これしかない。
I think lefty Hayata should go for one win in doubles rather than two in singles. And since C and Z, 1 of the doubles players, will be playing against each other in the 3rd singles match, their opponent will not be Sun Yingsha. If they can get 1 win one there, Hirano's explosiveness will allow them to get the 3rd win. This is the only way.

awful7時間前
ま、こんなもんでしょ。
WTTバトルでチャンピオン常連の孫に7ゲームマッチシングルスで勝って、しかも優勝したのは平野美宇選手だけ。
伊藤美誠選手が孫に勝ったことがあるとか自慢してた方が居たけどまだ孫が実力が伴っていないローカル戦の時で、そんなものは何の意味もない。
今のベスト5の中国選手にシングルスで互角に渡り合わないと世界一にはなれない。そうなるにはまだまだ何年も何年もかかると思う。中国選手は勝って実家に生活費等お金を送らないと、と言うハングリー精神が旺盛だから日本人選手が世界を制することは不可能に近いかも。
Well, it's like this.
Hirano Miu is the only player to beat Sun, a regular WTT battle champion, in a best-of-7 singles match, and even won the competition.
Some people were bragging about how Ito Mima had beaten her Sun, but this was a local match where Sun was still weak, so such things are meaningless.
Unless she can match the current top 5 Chinese players in singles, she won't be able to become number one in the world. I think it will take many, many years before that happens. Chinese players are so hungry that they need to win and send money back to their parents for living expenses, so it may be nearly impossible for Japanese players to dominate the world.

qda********9時間前
平野のストレート負けよりずっとましだが14連敗という「歴史的事実」は重い。五輪で初勝利というような都合のよい期待は出来ない。これで今大会の五輪日本代表は3人とも中国に敵わなかった。団体の組み合わせは苦労するだろう。それでも早田がエース?それとも平野の奇跡に賭ける?
It's much better than Hirano's straight losses, but the "historical fact" of 14 consecutive losses is significant. It is impossible to have convenient expectations such as winning at the Olympics for the first time. With this, all 3 members of Japan's Olympic team are no match for China. The lineup for team will be difficult. Is Hayata still the ace? Or bet on the miracle of Hirano?

nhd********7時間前
いくら早田がうまくなっても孫にはレベルの差が縮まらない。伊藤美誠もそう〜しいては日本のレベルと中国のレベルの差は大きい。平野早矢香らの時よりは縮まったが、日本が中国のレベルを越えられるのは…果たして来るのか!
No matter how good Hayata becomes, the gap between her and Sun will not close. The same goes for Ito Mima. There is a huge difference between Japan's level and China's level. Although it has shrunk since the time of Hirano Sayaka and others, will Japan ever be able to surpass China's level?

jyy********4時間前
一方的にやられたかと思うと突然勝ったりする平野選手と違い早田選手はいつも善戦していると思う。しかし、だからこその14連敗なのかも知れない。
Unlike Hirano, who seems to be defeated one-sidedly and then suddenly wins, I think Hayata always puts up a good fight. However, that may be the reason for the 14 consecutive losses.

ndi********1日前
平野しか無理なのかな今回はいきなり初戦で当たりあっさり負けてしまったけど
Hirano is the only one who can't do it, right? This time she suddenly lost easily in the first round
prn********17時間前
孫は技術力もパワーもメンタルも非の打ち所がないですね。ラリー戦でも体幹バランスが崩れないからミスしないし点とるのも難しい感じです。こんな化け物みたいな選手に平野は一度勝ってるんですね、しかも7ゲームマッチで。平野の確変力も大したもんだ。
Sun has impeccable technical, power, and mental ability. Even in rallies, she doesn't lose her body balance, so she doesn't make mistakes and it's difficult to score points. Hirano has beaten this monster-like player once, and in a best-of-7 match. Hirano's ability to increase her odds is also amazing.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Comments over at Yahoo Japan for those who live in bubbles. After 14 losses (13 in this Olympic cycle, FFS), even the folks in Japan are starting to face reality.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/7cb4f0563a4e455da854598decabb8349d344dc8/comments
ken********9時間前
左の早田選手はシングルス2点より寧ろダブルスで1勝を取りに行くのが良いと思う。そしてダブルスの1人のCとZは第3試合シングルスで対戦するので相手は孫穎莎ではない。ここで1勝できればあとは平野の爆発力で3勝目。これしかない。
I think lefty Hayata should go for one win in doubles rather than two in singles. And since C and Z, 1 of the doubles players, will be playing against each other in the 3rd singles match, their opponent will not be Sun Yingsha. If they can get 1 win one there, Hirano's explosiveness will allow them to get the 3rd win. This is the only way.

awful7時間前
ま、こんなもんでしょ。
WTTバトルでチャンピオン常連の孫に7ゲームマッチシングルスで勝って、しかも優勝したのは平野美宇選手だけ。
伊藤美誠選手が孫に勝ったことがあるとか自慢してた方が居たけどまだ孫が実力が伴っていないローカル戦の時で、そんなものは何の意味もない。
今のベスト5の中国選手にシングルスで互角に渡り合わないと世界一にはなれない。そうなるにはまだまだ何年も何年もかかると思う。中国選手は勝って実家に生活費等お金を送らないと、と言うハングリー精神が旺盛だから日本人選手が世界を制することは不可能に近いかも。
Well, it's like this.
Hirano Miu is the only player to beat Sun, a regular WTT battle champion, in a best-of-7 singles match, and even won the competition.
Some people were bragging about how Ito Mima had beaten her Sun, but this was a local match where Sun was still weak, so such things are meaningless.
Unless she can match the current top 5 Chinese players in singles, she won't be able to become number one in the world. I think it will take many, many years before that happens. Chinese players are so hungry that they need to win and send money back to their parents for living expenses, so it may be nearly impossible for Japanese players to dominate the world.

qda********9時間前
平野のストレート負けよりずっとましだが14連敗という「歴史的事実」は重い。五輪で初勝利というような都合のよい期待は出来ない。これで今大会の五輪日本代表は3人とも中国に敵わなかった。団体の組み合わせは苦労するだろう。それでも早田がエース?それとも平野の奇跡に賭ける?
It's much better than Hirano's straight losses, but the "historical fact" of 14 consecutive losses is significant. It is impossible to have convenient expectations such as winning at the Olympics for the first time. With this, all 3 members of Japan's Olympic team are no match for China. The lineup for team will be difficult. Is Hayata still the ace? Or bet on the miracle of Hirano?

nhd********7時間前
いくら早田がうまくなっても孫にはレベルの差が縮まらない。伊藤美誠もそう〜しいては日本のレベルと中国のレベルの差は大きい。平野早矢香らの時よりは縮まったが、日本が中国のレベルを越えられるのは…果たして来るのか!
No matter how good Hayata becomes, the gap between her and Sun will not close. The same goes for Ito Mima. There is a huge difference between Japan's level and China's level. Although it has shrunk since the time of Hirano Sayaka and others, will Japan ever be able to surpass China's level?

jyy********4時間前
一方的にやられたかと思うと突然勝ったりする平野選手と違い早田選手はいつも善戦していると思う。しかし、だからこその14連敗なのかも知れない。
Unlike Hirano, who seems to be defeated one-sidedly and then suddenly wins, I think Hayata always puts up a good fight. However, that may be the reason for the 14 consecutive losses.
It's really silly reading these posts, they didn't watch the match I just watched. I am old enough to remember when Rafael Nadal thought he would never win Wimbledon and then proceeded to do it the very next year.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
She got her power from CHUN Ll
Her abandon and relentless play was a joy to watch against everyone she played, it would be good to know the back story because it was just different. This has been a really fun event to watch. Gauzy, Jeon, Calderano, Hayata, Liang, all of them brought special stories. And even supporting characters like Fan, Ma, Wangs, Harimoto, Oh Junsung - if they had a really good production team, they could put together a really special video of this tournament.

Leaving WCQ at home was a gift from the CNT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
Gauzy may not have any major titles, but he might just own the rally of the year for two consecutive years (last year with Felix and two contenders for this year in just one match with LJK). Guy is a showman through and through and is definitely one of the most entertaining players at the moment. If his winning percentage were just a little bit better, he'd probably a bigger fan favorite.
Gauzy has to be one of the most entertaining players ever. Now back to playing at peak level after looking like he was starting to slip. Changing from an all wood blade to inner carbon has something to do with it. Especially big upgrade in backhand power.

This user has no status.
Gauzy has to be one of the most entertaining players ever. Now back to playing at peak level after looking like he was starting to slip. Changing from an all wood blade to inner carbon has something to do with it. Especially big upgrade in backhand power.
He did say he had burnout and no fun playing, but he bounced back.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
He was safely the best player in France until the Lebruns showed up. Their arrival forced him to take the risks he was reluctant to take. It's often hilarious to hear people speak of improvement in a vacuum without understanding how reluctant top players are to change in the absence of competitive pressures.

Reactions: Metaxa and Dr Evil