Advantages of 1.8mm

And yes -I've messed the subs79 answer with Gjayesh. Thought it was an answer to my question about his set up.
Because his set up is really important to answer his question. And this set up is somewhat strange to me. Is it a personal choise, or a coach advice?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have MXP on the FH & FXS on the BH

You responded to this from suds with this post:

Ok, /it would be good to update your set up info/, then I think going to 1.8 for FXS will not be the best idea.
Maybe consider MXP 1.8 + FXS 2.0 or MXP 2.0 + FXS 2.2
Discuss with your coach.

Which makes it sound an awful lot like you are telling suds he should update his setup info and he should consider using thinner rubber.

No, of course, I just mean what I meant. Its just my position. All my posts are towerds Gjayesh.

And it looks like suds has what he is using listed properly to me.

So, am I missing something or were you being dyslexic?

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Guys thanx for wonderful comments
I use goiabao5 yasaka blade now
Fh mxp 1.8 and bh 802 1.7mm.short pips.
Yasaka a-1.2 is very hard rubber and i couldnt find soft sponge to bottom out in china cheaper so dropped it.

The reason my coach suggested to use thin rubbers is that max rubbers catapult way too far
My skill n stroke uses lots of body power by default being ethnic asian whereas other players use little power n get more from their equipment
Hence they use fast carbon blades n max thickness rubbers.
My coach gave me 1.8mm to try few days and it did magic to my game.
Suddenly all my power topspins touched the table n swooshed away and bh punches were inevitable.
Spin n speed of rubbers at max and 1.8mm is similar
As it depends on blade and thrust of power u land with it .
Any more suggestions comments and advise are welcome [emoji1317]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
If everything is working fine , why do you need more advise ? ... does not make any sense to me ...
Guys thanx for wonderful comments
I use goiabao5 yasaka blade now
Fh mxp 1.8 and bh 802 1.7mm.short pips.
Yasaka a-1.2 is very hard rubber and i couldnt find soft sponge to bottom out in china cheaper so dropped it.

The reason my coach suggested to use thin rubbers is that max rubbers catapult way too far
My skill n stroke uses lots of body power by default being ethnic asian whereas other players use little power n get more from their equipment
Hence they use fast carbon blades n max thickness rubbers.
My coach gave me 1.8mm to try few days and it did magic to my game.
Suddenly all my power topspins touched the table n swooshed away and bh punches were inevitable.
Spin n speed of rubbers at max and 1.8mm is similar
As it depends on blade and thrust of power u land with it .
Any more suggestions comments and advise are welcome [emoji1317]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Is he teaching you Tantric Table tennis ? Just don't get into the Human sacrifice part ... the rest is okay I guess as long as you leave us out on your experiences ... as your chakras rise and you achieve your moksha ...
Hi Ball according to coach, we ethnic asians indians have more uncontrolled body power which generates unintentionally, we cannot control the werewolf desires :D

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi Ball according to coach, we ethnic asians indians have more uncontrolled body power which generates unintentionally, we cannot control the werewolf desires :D

I would love to see video footage of you playing to see your technique.

But Baal has a point here. Use of hips is not something that happens as a result of race. It happens as a result of technique.

And if "uncontrolled body power" was something that allowed Asians to generate power "unintentionally" in racket sports, I suspect there would be a lot of great Asian tennis players. In tennis you need that kind of power from the hips at least as much as in table tennis. Baseball too. There might be lots of Asian home run hitters in baseball as a result. That is where the power comes from in any racket sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I have no clue man , I am a mere mortal picking up pebbles on the sea shores of the great ocean of table tennis ... from your graphic description it looked like you have found yourself a guru that is causing your chakra's rise with uncontrollable energy ... hope to see you in action soon ....
not yet i still cant close my eyes to play tt has to be wide open so cant attain moksha maybe u can teach me:D

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Is he teaching you Tantric Table tennis ? Just don't get into the Human sacrifice part ... the rest is okay I guess as long as you leave us out on your experiences ... as your chakras rise and you achieve your moksha ...

I have no clue man , I am a mere mortal picking up pebbles on the sea shores of the great ocean of table tennis ... from your graphic description it looked like you have found yourself a guru that is causing your chakra's rise with uncontrollable energy ... hope to see you in action soon ....

I love the references. :)

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
My Tips:
- If you are young kids (who doesn't have much power), use 1.8mm
- If you are an adult, normal players, start with 2.0mm (1.8mm is too thin).
- Always remember: Prefer hard but thin (2.0mm) rubber than soft but thick.
- Rubber for forehand: Always choose harder than 47 degree. (ESN Scale)
- Rubber for backhand: Always choose harder than 42 degree. (ESN Scale)

This user has no status.
I recently ordered tenergy 80 1.7mm. I've played with a practice partner for months and we're pretty familiar with each other's game. Recently he tried tenergy 80 1.7mm and as his partner all I can say is that his spin is significantly greater. Far more difficult for me to return his open up and his loop. No technique change just a changed his rubber thickness.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I seriously consider reassign all rounder thickness to 2.0 mm, and set the minimum thickness to 1.5 mm, all assuming medium sponge and 2017 plastic balls.

I cant loop at all with 1.5 mm Donic Slice CD yesterday. The ball just too heavy that I have no time to spin the ball before bottoming out.

Note.

Sorry for repeat posting Pals. :)

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk