Advantages of 1.8mm

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A rubber that has higher throw on topspin should have lower throw on chop because your racket is moving up on one stroke and down on the other.

So you tried to use some logic to give yourself a rubber that would be better for your BH since you use it differently. The thought was not bad. It just may not have the intended effect.

However, if you do very different things on FH and BH and know how you use each, it can be useful to get rubbers that specialize in what you do with each wing.

Ever thought of getting a rubber that excels at chopping for BH?

Anyway, your situation is different but it still may work out to the same scenario.

When someone does not know, specifically, what each wing needs that is different, it is often more useful to use the same for both sides.

If you know how the two wings differ and accurately assess a rubber for each side that will be useful, then that is totally different from how so many people guess or pick arbitrarily rubbers for each wing.

Since my sister does the same things with FH and BH and her BH has about the same force and power, she is better with the same for both sides.

Many people, when the BH is a little weaker would be okay with a slightly softer version of the same rubber for BH.

Like: T05 FH + T05fx BH
or
Vega Pro FH + Vega Europe BH

As two simple examples.

But if you don’t know how the two wings differ, often, players would be better off using the same rubber for both sides.

Unless you are using H3. But then the softer 37 degree sponge on the red H3 still may be what would make the most sense for BH unless you know something else that really works well for your BH.

BTW: you might try one of those red H3 37° rubbers. That may be excellent for what you do with your BH. H3 is actually pretty darn good for chopping and has great dynamics from soft touch to power loops.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
"A rubber that has higher throw on topspin should have lower throw on chop because your racket is moving up on one stroke and down on the other." -I didn't realise that
.. has the Chinese rubbers difference in softness got to do with the colour e.g. the red is softer than the black colour rubber? I'm not sure I understand it correctly ? :/ moreover can you precise which hurricane rubber you mean? There are too many of them. .

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
"A rubber that has higher throw on topspin should have lower throw on chop because your racket is moving up on one stroke and down on the other." -I didn't realise that
.. has the Chinese rubbers difference in softness got to do with the colour e.g. the red is softer than the black colour rubber? I'm not sure I understand it correctly ? :/ moreover can you precise which hurricane rubber you mean? There are too many of them. .

The good news is how adaptable we are. You have been playing with the rubber you chose without even realizing you chose it for, perhaps, the wrong reasons. I am sure your BH technique adapted to the rubber. But that is part of why you may as well use the same rubber for both sides unless you really know what would be good for each separate side. Then the adjustments you make with each side are at least towards technique that is similar and uses similar amounts of force since the rubber is pretty similar.

In red, they make an H3 that is softer, like 37-degrees for BH. Truthfully, I believe they make it in both red and black.

They also make red H3 in all the other hardnesses that they make in black. But they make a version of H3 that has a softer 37-degree hardness sponge which is better for backhand than a regular H3 because the regular H3 is a little too hard for most people's BH.

Unless you had crazy power on all your strokes on BH the regular hardnesses for H3 are too hard for most people's BH. But the version of H3 with the softer sponge will work.

These are some of the softer options.

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/dhs-hurricane-3-50.html
or
http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/dhs-hurricane-3-50-soft.html

They also have a TG3 with a softer sponge. These would be good too:

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/dhs-skyline-3-60-mid-hard.html
or
http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/dhs-skyline-3-60-soft.html

Then there are people who sell the red H3 37-degree National rubber that a few of the top Chinese players use. Probably any of the ones above would be fine. But the National one is supposed to be pretty good too. Just a lot more expensive and you need to really trust your source. There are a lot of counterfeit "National" products out there that play okay but should not cost as much as you would pay for them.

I believe Suga D knows a good source. You could ask him if you want.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
According to my source this isn't exactly accurate.
The hardest available red h3 comes (only) in 40° degrees, whereas the black ones are up to 42.5°

You may ask: now how do i know this?
Well the EJ in me couldn't resist ordering a Hurricane 3 with the tenergy sponge, but unfortunately it was only available in black, so i was forced to get a red H3 for my forehand.
[Emoji12]
I'll try to upload some pics within the next few days.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Just thinking .. what do they do with tenergy topsheet once they take out the sponge ... so are there as many tenergy topsheet + hurricane sponge rubbers out there as there are hurricane topsheet + tenergy sponge ? ... just kidding .. curious to know how it worked out for you .. keep us posted Suga D ... I for one is intrigued to know how it works ..
The hardest available red h3 comes (only) in 40° degrees, whereas the black ones are up to 42.5°

Well the EJ in me couldn't resist ordering a Hurricane 3 with the tenergy sponge, but unfortunately it was only available in black, so i was forced to get a red H3 for my forehand.
[Emoji12]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews

[Emoji12]

And the H3 topsheet + Tenergy sponge combo works well? Could you give us a review?

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

[Emoji12]

Thanks Suga D. I knew I did not have all the info. Glad you came and provided a little more. Plus that extra stuff that only a true EJ could appreciate like the Tenergy Sponge with H3 Topsheet. I think we may have to arrange for Monster to try that. :)

And as far as the TT companies, it is always interesting to see and realize how they have closer ties than most of us realize. Like seeing Nittaku H3, or Avalox blades with a Nittaku label. Butterfly blade with Stiga handle where both companies have to know how that happened. Stiga Clipper with DHS handle. Tenergy sponge with H3 topsheet. The list goes on. :)

I think Ma Lin used to use a Sriver topsheet on a Bryce sponge for his RPB BH. :)

I am pretty sure Stiga Makes the Joola Viva for Joola because it is also a Clipper. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Fun fact for EJ's out there before Der_Echte forgets , it seems Stellan Bennengston provided the concept and specs of Clipper to Stiga ... Der told me this time around ..
Thanks Suga D. I knew I did not have all the info. Glad you came and provided a little more. Plus that extra stuff that only a true EJ could appreciate like the Tenergy Sponge with H3 Topsheet. I think we may have to arrange for Monster to try that. :)

And as far as the TT companies, it is always interesting to see and realize how they have closer ties than most of us realize. Like seeing Nittaku H3, or Avalox blades with a Nittaku label. Butterfly blade with Stiga handle where both companies have to know how that happened. Stiga Clipper with DHS handle. Tenergy sponge with H3 topsheet. The list goes on. :)

I think Ma Lin used to use a Sriver topsheet on a Bryce sponge for his RPB BH. :)

I am pretty sure Stiga Makes the Joola Viva for Joola because it is also a Clipper. :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
No one asked me to drop a dime, or add my 2 cents, but what the heck, I have said pretty much the same thing throughout many threads.

Things like use an ALL or ALL+ speed bat and use very thin sponged control rubbers are at the very core of OLD SCHOOL PUNDITS way of approaching TT.

Der_Echte strongly believes, but will not offer any science or fantastic miracle demonstrations, or even show pics of the ladies used for the honey trap to lure in the Goon Squad when they try to chase you down for unlawful possession of Pro or National gear... Der Echte believes the ways of the old school pundits are founded in their tradition... and have worked for them... they see results with their way.

Many Old School Pundits believe their way is the only way. To be fair, many schools of though feel their way is the only way or at the least, the best way.

Der_Echte believes there is more than one way. Kim Jung Hoon repeatedly says in his vids, just about every time he is filmed teaching an amature player that there is No One Correct Answer in TT.

I believe in several ways for different situations and goals. Even though I am a wannabe offensive powerhouse player, I goof off and chop or play defense... and enjoy it.

Old School Pundits got their ways and I got mine, I am usually at the very opposite end of any argument concerning their philosophies.

Still, I can acknowledge that a good deal of their ways are sound and I use some of them... like not being the Macho Man Crush Kill dude trying to play Big Boy BONECRUSHER shots every shot like I am the main character in a Ma Long fantasy video game.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Having said that, when my main bat is out of service, I often play TT in those times with an All or ALL+ 5 ply wood blade with control rubbers (Nexy LISSOM and Karis rubbers) I just stay in more points with that setup, ditto with my main blade.

So anyone thinks I am hypocrite can bend over, do the hamstring stretch standing, and attempt to clean their stanky toe jam by natural means. I will not offer suggestions on where to stick what, how deep to stick it in, the orientation of it, what other things one can stick up there because there is ample room, how to read between lines, which horse can go there too, what boat it came in on, etc, etc, etc.

Get the Grumpy on Y'all.

Where the heck did NL go to ??? He could run circles around me on a thread like this. He knows how to speak his mind, heck so does Baal, and he is more wry than myself... and myself is damned wry.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, you even TRY t do that to make, I will take that paddle you suggest and spank Ur Behind loudly LIVE on Facebook Live. I might even let the Goon Squad have a few free licks.

Stiga Earthquake plus T64 1.7 coming up. :)

Wait, has this thread officially been hijacked? :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl is really trying hard to get me to publically tell him all the details of what, how, when, why, where and other choice words.

Hahahahaha. I have seen that live and in person already. So, why not. :)

Remember how you ran interference so Abe and I could escape from the goon squad way back when?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
That was different.

The Goonies didn't know who I waz, so I played the part of crazy city fool. It worked.

The Goonies were about to bust through the front door, but I jumped off the top of the door to land in front of them, whipped out my equipment, pointed it in their direction and demanded $30 USD for parking RIGHT NOW or on the count of THREE I waz gunna douse them with sum piss and vinegar something fierce.

The Goonies had to dig through their wallets and cough up the dough. It would take too long to run around the other end of the street.. as tough as the Goon Squad is, they had no desire to operate wearing hot, wet, piss-stanky clothes.

Those extra seconds I gave Carl and Abe made a difference.

For some reason, after that, Carl thought I could accurately piss long distance.

Look man, in the military, I won my share of pissing contests (actually, that is an argument, not real pissing) but man Carl, you are giving me way too much credit.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That was different.

The Goonies didn't know who I waz, so I played the part of crazy city fool. It worked.

The Goonies were about to bust through the front door, but I jumped off the top of the door to land in front of them, whipped out my equipment, pointed it in their direction and demanded $30 USD for parking RIGHT NOW or on the count of THREE I waz gunna douse them with sum piss and vinegar something fierce.

The Goonies had to dig through their wallets and cough up the dough. It would take too long to run around the other end of the street.. as tough as the Goon Squad is, they had no desire to operate wearing hot, wet, piss-stanky clothes.

Those extra seconds I gave Carl and Abe made a difference.

For some reason, after that, Carl thought I could accurately piss long distance.

Look man, in the military, I won my share of pissing contests (actually, that is an argument, not real pissing) but man Carl, you are giving me way too much credit.

It seems to me you just pissed all the way from the Cali Bay region right to Park Slope Krooklyn with enough accuracy to douse the goon squad as they were just about to catch up to me.

And after that incident you recalled, I do believe we ended up at Robert Chen’s club and had yet another crazy adventure.

But I also recall you trying my Stiga Allround Evolution thinking it was going to be an earthquake blade, and liking it enough to get one for your self. That blade is the very one that launched the infamous “Rebuilding the Beast” thread. [emoji2]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Because of you guys I really regret I'm not a native speaker of English since I don't understand half of what you wrote. .maybe it's good I won't be viewed as a nosy guy. Carl which one of the two first rubbers was the one about 40°? I understand that the red one only counts? We have official shop in Poland which sells dhs products. What I like about Chinese rubbers is the price :) I was afraid of using them because of the heavy waight. But the ones you proposed seem to be lighter/more like European :) thank you

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Pawel , it has nothing to do with you being not a native speaker , these guys are talking in gibberish only they understand :D :D .... and some a little more than others ..
Because of you guys I really regret I'm not a native speaker of English since I don't understand half of what you wrote. .maybe it's good I won't be viewed as a nosy guy. Carl which one of the two first rubbers was the one about 40°? I understand that the red one only counts? We have official shop in Poland which sells dhs products. What I like about Chinese rubbers is the price :) I was afraid of using them because of the heavy waight. But the ones you proposed seem to be lighter/more like European :) thank you

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Because of you guys I really regret I'm not a native speaker of English since I don't understand half of what you wrote. .maybe it's good I won't be viewed as a nosy guy. Carl which one of the two first rubbers was the one about 40°? I understand that the red one only counts? We have official shop in Poland which sells dhs products. What I like about Chinese rubbers is the price [emoji4] I was afraid of using them because of the heavy waight. But the ones you proposed seem to be lighter/more like European [emoji4] thank you

First off, sorry that Der and I hijacked the thread and spoke in code. [emoji2]

Now let’s see if I understood your question properly:

The links to the DHS rubbers that were softer would all be good. There were 2 H3 links. The second one is softer. And two TG3 (Skyline) links. There the second link is to the softer one.

Any of those would be good for your BH. And Suga D may know of a way of getting a rubber that is H3 with a 37° sponge that is several notches better than the ones I linked to.

Did I answer the right question or were you asking something different?

Last edited: