Armature FH stroke difference between Tacky and Non tacky rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
If you do the same loop with tacky rubber and the same loop with non-tacky rubber and you try to feel the differences in effect and you try to create the same effect, if you have decent technique, the adjustments will come intuitively. The tacky rubber will always require more power or thicker impact and you will feel you are rotating the ball as you feel the ball stay longer on your racket. So you can hit into the ball more. The ball coming off will be slower, but it may have other compensating qualities like spin (relative to the power input) and control (again, relative to the power input). Other than how much you are hitting into the ball, the stroke will be essentially the same. This is what the coaches are talking about - a tensor rubber will have the ball fly off if you swing into it has hard. But some of this is really about harder sponge more than about tackiness per se. Because if you have power and you want to loop hard, there is a point at which your stroke goes to the wood (bottoming out) and you can't go beyond that and get good spin. So harder sponge (which allows for more compression with boosting, all other things being equal) lets you hit harder and still get spin, but the tradeoff is that you have to put in decent effort and good contact to get good spin and speed, which someone with a softer rubber may be able to do at lower swing speed. If you have an advanced stroke with good power, the tradeoff might be worth it. But it is one variable out of many. Some would argue that closing the racket works with a tensor, some would just say it is the softer tensors that have this problem, that harder sponged tensors do not. In any case, the mind body connection with equipment is a personal thing.

You are throwing the shoulder forward because you are not hitting the ball in your golden triangle. My point is that the degree to which you are turning your arm over the ball can be reduced by stepping forward or by folding your torso so you lean over the ball more so you are hitting the ball in the right zone. Use your torso lean and elbow angle to set the stroke plane. You can play the same stroke as you do but finish more forward without turning the arm as much. It will be more direct and more powerful because you will be hitting the ball closer to your golden triangle. The kind of pronation you are doing is usually a compensation for imperfect timing, not a bad thing under pressure in matches, but not how you want to practice without pressure when you know exactly where the ball is going.

The most important thing is to feel you are hitting the ball in your golden/power triangle. That way you are turning into the ball with your hips/body and getting good quality.

Okay that makes a lot of sense to me. I do have in my training notes that I need to wait longer for the ball. So it has occured to me that I am timing the weight transfer too early, and this is making me reach out with my shoulder forward in order to make contact (I'm also probably bleeding out a lot of power from my lower body due to this as well). The additional hip rotation in the new FH technique is likely causing the racket to accelerate faster through the hitting zone as well which might exacerbate my bad timing (or might even be partly the cause of it).

Do you have any helpful cues or advice for changing the timing of my stroke? I'm thinking that one thing I can start doing immediately is to start filming my FHs from the side view instead of 3/4 behind view so that I can better see how deep the ball is getting into the hitting zone.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Okay that makes a lot of sense to me. I do have in my training notes that I need to wait longer for the ball. So it has occured to me that I am timing the weight transfer too early, and this is making me reach out with my shoulder forward in order to make contact (I'm also probably bleeding out a lot of power from my lower body due to this as well). The additional hip rotation in the new FH technique is likely causing the racket to accelerate faster through the hitting zone as well which might exacerbate my bad timing (or might even be partly the cause of it).

Do you have any helpful cues or advice for changing the timing of my stroke? I'm thinking that one thing I can start doing immediately is to start filming my FHs from the side view instead of 3/4 behind view so that I can better see how deep the ball is getting into the hitting zone.
Hit the ball somewhere in front of your chest where the two arms meet. Usually, this will involve hip rotation and a lunge that will shift this point to the side of your body. Look at the backswings in the videos that blahness posted. Anywhere in between the center of the chest and the right shoulder tends to be fine. Behind the shoulder is too late, in front of the center of the chest tends to be too early. You can move that zone forwards by adjusting your body position and of course, you can use more arm to adjust, but better to work on using your body to adjust and improving your anticipation and leave the arm for the edge cases under pressure.

Always finish with a salute, it just doesn't have to be at the forehead and it doesn't have to be upwards, but the upper arm should not come across the body, the lower arm might to pronate and trap the ball, but this isn't usually optimal unless you are close to the table, it is just a compensation for a certain kind of finishing stroke, not a standard habitual technical forehand. The body should do most of the work in shaping the stroke (which is what is usually meant by weight transfer), but everyone will do this differently because of athleticism and physical ability. Some might even compensate with the arm habitually, if it doesn't cause injury that is fine, but it doesn't create the power for sure.

The big thing is that you want to feel your power is sending the ball in a straight line (reality might be different).

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
Hit the ball somewhere in front of your chest where the two arms meet. Usually, this will involve hip rotation and a lunge that will shift this point to the side of your body. Look at the backswings in the videos that blahness posted. Anywhere in between the center of the chest and the right shoulder tends to be fine. Behind the shoulder is too late, in front of the center of the chest tends to be too early. You can move that zone forwards by adjusting your body position and of course, you can use more arm to adjust, but better to work on using your body to adjust and improving your anticipation and leave the arm for the edge cases under pressure.

Always finish with a salute, it just doesn't have to be at the forehead and it doesn't have to be upwards, but the upper arm should not come across the body, the lower arm might to pronate and trap the ball, but this isn't usually optimal unless you are close to the table, it is just a compensation for a certain kind of finishing stroke, not a standard habitual technical forehand. The body should do most of the work in shaping the stroke (which is what is usually meant by weight transfer), but everyone will do this differently because of athleticism and physical ability. Some might even compensate with the arm habitually, if it doesn't cause injury that is fine, but it doesn't create the power for sure.

The big thing is that you want to feel your power is sending the ball in a straight line (reality might be different).
"Hit the ball somewhere in front of your chest where the two arms meet. Usually, this will involve hip rotation and a lunge that will shift this point to the side of your body"
In the late nineties/early noughties, several coaches were teaching the technique wherby the left hand was used to line up the ball in front of the chest. The player then uses that left hand to pull the body around. I still see some older players using that technique but not the younger set. Must have been a fad.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Other thing, film the forehand a bit more often from the front as well as the side, most of us are used to seeing it from the front (as coaches or players) and can tell what is wrong more easily from the front even when it seems there is less information. The main thing one gets from the angle you use is the quality of the backswing which is important, but how you finish the stroke is important as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
"Hit the ball somewhere in front of your chest where the two arms meet. Usually, this will involve hip rotation and a lunge that will shift this point to the side of your body"
In the late nineties/early noughties, several coaches were teaching the technique wherby the left hand was used to line up the ball in front of the chest. The player then uses that left hand to pull the body around. I still see some older players using that technique but not the younger set. Must have been a fad.
Some coaches still recommend it based on Ma Long's obvious success using it, but by now everyone knows that what makes a player world class isn't completely technical. We just don't want bad technique to be a huge barrier but game reading skills and athleticism clearly play a bigger role.

This user has no status.

For me personally, the timing of the hit is not as important as actually hitting in the ideal zone (golden triangle concept) and timing your weight transfer exactly at the moment of ball contact (I'm working on it too). So for fast balls you'll be taking them earlier, slow balls you'll be taking them later.

If you want to take fast balls slow then you'll have to move backwards, if you want to take slow balls fast then you'll have to move forwards in general. This may compromise your positioning at the table, but it's a very individual choice.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Other thing, film the forehand a bit more often from the front as well as the side, most of us are used to seeing it from the front (as coaches or players) and can tell what is wrong more easily from the front even when it seems there is less information. The main thing one gets from the angle you use is the quality of the backswing which is important, but how you finish the stroke is important as well.
Hey @NextLevel

I decided to film some of my FH practice from the front and was wondering if you had a couple minutes to take a look at it? Lmk if it's not too much of a bother and I will PM you.