Ask William Henzell!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Good afternoon Sir,

I would like to ask if your training schedule involves hitting the gym for how many hours? How do you prepare for a match during the day before and that day? What is the diet for a proffesional table tennis player? How do you overcome nerves during the match? Thank you.:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Hey William,

Thank you for your response. I definitely find it interesting how just like you, Schlager, in his interview that is posted on youtube, also said that despite Wang Hao being having good skill, and the advantage of the rpb, Schlager still felt that in terms of technical skills Ma Lin had the best of any player he has ever met, or at least among the Chinese players. Perhaps a lot of non-Chinese players feel this way about Ma Lin because his more traditional penhold style is just so foreign to them. Have you ever played Ryu Sueng Minh by any chance? If so, was there a big difference between him and Ma Lin?

I hope this isn't too much of a burden on your time, but I also had a follow up question after you responded. Being only a beginner/intermediate player, I never quite had a thorough understanding of how one, as you described it, varies their play enormously. I hear the Chinese announcers always saying that players like Ma Lin have a lot of "bian hua" which is variation in their game. Could you have a general overview of what type of variations they/you are talking about and how to make such variations and how to become better are making those variations. Is it mostly just where you aim your hit to land? It seems to me, and I am probably wrong since I don't have the necessary skills, that due to the incredible amount of spin and speed of professional play, you only have a very small margin of error in which you can hit the ball along its arc to return the ball correctly. Therefore it would seem to be hard to really vary the spin all that much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
@scylla24 - I'm pleased you asked this! I just finished making this video of a match between Timo Boll and Ma Lin and uploaded to youtube:

I'm commentating, replaying key sequences and explaining some of the tactics, technique and variations that are being used. I've got 6 of these vids on ttEDGE.com and am working on more. Have a look and feel free to ask questions about the play.

I played Ryu in 2007 at the World Cup. I didn't play so well that match, and despite there being some 11-9s, lost the match 4-0. I didn't think he played so well that match either to be honest but just did what he needed to take a comfortable 4-0 win. For a start Ryu serves more sidespin variations in his serve whereas Ma Lin uses mainly backspin / nospin variations. Ryu does not have much of a backhand whereas Ma has a decent one (nothing like Wang Hao though who has a brilliant backhand).

@ttlarry - mostly 3 areas. Strength and balanced for my legs. Strength / injury prevention for my shoulder (mainly rotator cuff exercises) and balance / injury prevention for my lower back, trunk and abs. I don't get to the gym as often as I'd like but I try at least once per week.

@lgreggs - sure, might be a bit of a drive for you...

@rahul - Your shots wil need to be completely different yes. A player I know who uses medium pips well on her backhad is Miao Miao.