Ball and LongPips

says Looking for Frame
In our country we can only use balls with seam.
I play not at a very high level (around 1200/1250).
I used to play our matches with DHS balls. But they are not on the allowed list anymore.
So I want to buy new balls. I buy balls for the whole team but only for matches so we play with the same ball always.

I started playing with LongPips .... does it matter what ball to play for LP?
I was thinking about the Andro 3s ball as they are not that expensive.
The DHS DJ40+. and the Nitakku Premium are way more expensive.

12 Andro 3s 40+ = € 18,--
12 DHS DJ40+ = € 29,90
12 Nitakku Premium 40+ = € 31,80

In our country we can only use balls with seam.
I play not at a very high level (around 1200/1250).
I used to play our matches with DHS balls. But they are not on the allowed list anymore.
So I want to buy new balls. I buy balls for the whole team but only for matches so we play with the same ball always.

I started playing with LongPips .... does it matter what ball to play for LP?
I was thinking about the Andro 3s ball as they are not that expensive.
The DHS DJ40+. and the Nitakku Premium are way more expensive.

12 Andro 3s 40+ = € 18,--
12 DHS DJ40+ = € 29,90
12 Nitakku Premium 40+ = € 31,80
I would say it doesn’t matter, but I like to play with the best balls. DHS DJ40+ and Nittaku premium 40+ are basically impossible to tell apart.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Who can't you use seamless balls in our country?
Which DHS ball you want that is not on the allowed list? the 40mm balls?

DHS ABS balls, including the ones they make for other brands are generally very good.
Surprised the 12 ball DHS is so expensive.

For your opponent, they will want rounder, heavier/harder ball.
For you, the lighter and not so round will be in your favour

says Looking for Frame
Who can't you use seamless balls in our country?
Which DHS ball you want that is not on the allowed list? the 40mm balls?

DHS ABS balls, including the ones they make for other brands are generally very good.
Surprised the 12 ball DHS is so expensive.

For your opponent, they will want rounder, heavier/harder ball.
For you, the lighter and not so round will be in your favour

I don't know why they did. We can use any ball on the ittf list, but with seam.
I always used the dhs practise balls. The 2 star.

For now they are allowing for clubplay/competition the next 4 only. (for next season)
Gewo Training Club 40+
Kinson 40+
Three Ball P
Tibhar Basic 40+ (These are used by our club for clubballs).

I have 3 teammates and asked what they prefer ... and they only said I want a round one :D.
I will look in to the weight off the balls ...

EDIT: The decided for the seam because the quality is better and more consistant. Not sure if it's true but that it what is written on their website :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don't know why they did. We can use any ball on the ittf list, but with seam.
I always used the dhs practise balls. The 2 star.

For now they are allowing for clubplay/competition the next 4 only. (for next season)
Gewo Training Club 40+
Kinson 40+
Three Ball P
Tibhar Basic 40+ (These are used by our club for clubballs).

I have 3 teammates and asked what they prefer ... and they only said I want a round one :D.
I will look in to the weight off the balls ...

EDIT: The decided for the seam because the quality is better and more consistant. Not sure if it's true but that it what is written on their website :)
okay
you are listing practice balls with ITTF approved match balls.
Strange you are not allowed to use ITTF approved seamless match balls.
But you also can't be using training balls when ITTF approval seam balls are the requirements. So, it sounds confusing.
Seam ABS (latest generation), for exampled DHS DJ40+ is pretty good. the shell feels harder.
Maybe that is why you like the DHS 2 star, since they make the balls together and good balls are 3 star and the ones that don't pass are 2 stars. Some times the difference could be minimal.

maybe ask Mocker to quote you on the Sanwei version and see how much it will cost.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
okay
But you also can't be using training balls when ITTF approval seam balls are the requirements. So, it sounds confusing.
Seam ABS (latest generation), for exampled DHS DJ40+ is pretty good. the shell feels harder.
Maybe that is why you like the DHS 2 star, since they make the balls together and good balls are 3 star and the ones that don't pass are 2 stars. Some times the difference could be minimal.

maybe ask Mocker to quote you on the Sanwei version and see how much it will cost.
Well the shipping cost is as high as the cost for the balls, so 12 balls incl. shipping is about €23

says Looking for Frame
okay

Yeah it's a bit confusing :).
For the new season all the high level players have to use ittf apporved balls with seam.
For the lower levels (so local competitions) the have exception for the 4 practise balls as many clubs bought many for it for competition. But the season after everybody should use the 'good' balls.

I do like the DHS. But I started using LongPips so I wondered if that makes any difference.
As said above, the softer should be better for LP.

says Looking for Frame
It's not to us to use any ball we want as long as we agree.
We have to follow our nttb rules. If I don't play leage I can do whatever I want.
If I practise and play with the same ball we might have an advantage during home matches and tournements.
Same goes for tables. We have slow tables according to some apponents ... they bounce higher.
But I play and practise always on these tables so i am used to it and know how the ball reacts.

That's what I want to do with the ball as well. I play in 2 leages, so 2 matches a week. Every match I play 3 or 4 individual matches. We play 50% home and 50% away. Away is at 5 different locations. Everny opponent once at home, and once in their home.

says Looking for Frame
I'm not at a high level. I need 2 more championships to go to the national leages :).
That's not what I will manage :). This is already high level for me.

At other venues (thx, didn't come up with the correct word) they use their own ball.
But often if you ask to play with the 'better' ball they agree.
But if not, I still have the advantage when playing home.

There are 56 different venues so I can't check them all :D.
I can write down the brand with my notes from the venue/opponent.

But I'll do a search on hardness/weight on the balls and make a choice.

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
But I'll do a search on hardness/weight on the balls and make a choice.
This is by playing, you can feel if the ball is hard or not.
not really a google search, or maybe someone already shared it.

Butterfly balls to me is on the soft side for example
Nittaku Premium, DHS DJ40+ is on the hard side (more enjoyable to play)

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
... DHS DJ40+ is pretty good. the shell feels harder.

YES. The newer gen D40+ from DHS are significantly better balls than in their past... and the DJ40+ balls have legit QC... which is something DHS never really liked to spell before.

Maybe that is why you like the DHS 2 star, since they make the balls together and good balls are 3 star and the ones that don't pass are 2 stars. Some times the difference could be minimal...
The Nexy 2 star and Joola 3 star training balls are exactly in this description... a very nice feeling heavy solid ball with a decent bounce... surprisingly good for a training ball, actually way better than their previous gen MATCH BALL.

I think these are DHS made 2 piece balls with pretty much the same specs given by both outfits to DHS to manufacture.

I weighed 10 balls of each... both came out exact same weight - 27.4 grams for 10 balls if I remember right. Both feel solid and heavy at impact... the newer Joola balls after one week of use have a rougher texture than the nexy balls that are 4-12 months older from usage.

In the Russian Church, we got three full 200-250 ball baskets full of these balls and everyone uses those to train and do matches. Everyone happy with those... and the Joola 3 star training balls run $20 USD per box of 120... an outstanding value for what you are getting.

Don't anyone get fooled by a 3 star description, we are still talking practice/training balls.., but these practice balls are good enough bounce and consistency most of the time for who we are and what we do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
YES. The newer gen D40+ from DHS are significantly better balls than in their past... and the DJ40+ balls have legit QC... which is something DHS never really liked to spell before.

The Nexy 2 star and Joola 3 star training balls are exactly in this description... a very nice feeling heavy solid ball with a decent bounce... surprisingly good for a training ball, actually way better than their previous gen MATCH BALL.

I think these are DHS made 2 piece balls with pretty much the same specs given by both outfits to DHS to manufacture.

I weighed 10 balls of each... both came out exact same weight - 27.4 grams for 10 balls if I remember right. Both feel solid and heavy at impact... the newer Joola balls after one week of use have a rougher texture than the nexy balls that are 4-12 months older from usage.

In the Russian Church, we got three full 200-250 ball baskets full of these balls and everyone uses those to train and do matches. Everyone happy with those... and the Joola 3 star training balls run $20 USD per box of 120... an outstanding value for what you are getting.

Don't anyone get fooled by a 3 star description, we are still talking practice/training balls.., but these practice balls are good enough bounce and consistency most of the time for who we are and what we do.
yeah, I agree

my Tony's TT ball was spec by Stiga, and to me it feels the same spec as the DHS 2 star too.

says Looking for Frame
This is by playing, you can feel if the ball is hard or not.
not really a google search, or maybe someone already shared it.

Butterfly balls to me is on the soft side for example
Nittaku Premium, DHS DJ40+ is on the hard side (more enjoyable to play)
So for me as a LP player I best can use the softer Butterfly Balls.
Or are the differences 2 small for and intermediate player to notice?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
So for me as a LP player I best can use the softer Butterfly Balls.
Or are the differences 2 small for and intermediate player to notice?
Basically poorer quality balls are lighter or wobble during high spin play.
These would be dream come trues for LP players, as that adds a much higher difficulty for the opponent.

I would normally push for higher quality balls, so it is more fair.
But to answer you, lower quality or lighter balls, would give you some what of an extra advantage