Ball dispensers at pro events

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Why don't they put ball dispensers at pro events? It would be a whole lot easier if the assistant umpires didn't have to toss the ball to the server every serve. All they need to do is install a tube or metal rails that hold 10 balls on each side and players would just take the next ball when they serve. If they run out during a long game then the assistant can have a few extra on hand.

I've seen some umpires who are terrible at tossing and the player has to run down the ball or worse. Ball boys/girls would just load them up after each game during the break and off you go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Why don't they put ball dispensers at pro events? It would be a whole lot easier if the assistant umpires didn't have to toss the ball to the server every serve. All they need to do is install a tube or metal rails that hold 10 balls on each side and players would just take the next ball when they serve. If they run out during a long game then the assistant can have a few extra on hand.

I've seen some umpires who are terrible at tossing and the player has to run down the ball or worse. Ball boys/girls would just load them up after each game during the break and off you go.
I think the only answer is that you are too advance for them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I think the only answer is that you are too advance for them.
I have used ball dispensers at some events. They are ok, but a) have a tendency to choke at the worst possible moment, b) puts the ball at the same place on the table most of the time (not where the player is), and c) from time to time gives the ball a totally different speed and trajectory... They are good when they work. Personally I prefer to be able to throw the ball in the hand, short, or long bounce if the player is on the far side. The whole reason for multiball is to speed the game up - so you need to be flexible and put the ball where the player is - not just a random place in the playing hall

This user has no status.
I have used ball dispensers at some events. They are ok, but a) have a tendency to choke at the worst possible moment, b) puts the ball at the same place on the table most of the time (not where the player is), and c) from time to time gives the ball a totally different speed and trajectory... They are good when they work. Personally I prefer to be able to throw the ball in the hand, short, or long bounce if the player is on the far side. The whole reason for multiball is to speed the game up - so you need to be flexible and put the ball where the player is - not just a random place in the playing hall

Pretty much this.

ITTF already had these in use for around 2 years i guess, and they sucked. Every game at least once they failed i.e. tossed the ball next to the table or under it or didnt work at all.
The best one was a match in which that thing didnt work and after some more tries the ball just rolled out of the tossing machine.

These occasions delayed matches and were too unreliant.

And lets be real here, that is a tt ball. An umpire should be able to toss it more consistently that this machine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I"m not talking about a machine that spits the ball out. I'm talking about just a tube larger than the diameter of a ball that just holds the balls until the end one is pulled. Then the rest of the balls just roll down. Something simple to hold balls until the player pulls it out.
yep, like one under the table for the players to reach with ease

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I"m not talking about a machine that spits the ball out. I'm talking about just a tube larger than the diameter of a ball that just holds the balls until the end one is pulled. Then the rest of the balls just roll down. Something simple to hold balls until the player pulls it out.
Why even use a tube? Why not just a bucket of balls hanging under the table?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Why even use a tube? Why not just a bucket of balls hanging under the table?
using what is not that important to be honest, with simple engineering, one could come up with something ideal.
anything will be better over the pretty silly method at the moment, especially when it is the center court where the umpires are actually quite a distance from the players
it is not like these multiballs is going to fade away any time soon...

some of these umpires/assistant are actually old too and ITTF is trying to compare them to ball boys/girls of tennis, of which the ball can bounce and the players are nearer too.

Reactions: dingyibvs