Being "vocal" during a game - your thoughts

This user has no status.
After my league match last night, something started to get me thinking: Talking to yourself/saying stuff between points. We all see it during the pro games, where a "CHO" is usually shouted after a winning point. When someone watches for the first time, it can be weird to see the "cheering" at themselves. Back when I was young, I used to be quite loud, both negative and positive (no swearing, I knew the limits) and it did get some people annoyed, I even had people laugh at me. I guess when you get competitive, it can't be helped. As I get older (25 is still old you know), I've toned it down, but you still "fire" yourself up every now and then. That happened in the event last night, the guy wasn't popular with our team and the game I was in position to win was to secure the match win for the team, while I felt guilty of being loud and firing my self up, it helped and put my opponent off

But its an interesting point to bring up and ask. In tennis you don't get it a lot (the only noise you get is during the shouts [Sharapova and her grunts anyone?), but for table tennis, is the noise after a point helpful to the game? Is it good to be going "CHO" and all that after each winning point? Would it be better if we saw those "outbursts" during bigger points?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
Only last night my coach was telling us to do this. He said be silent on points you lose and forget about it (which is not easy, I went through a spree when I was extremely guilty of it) and fire ourselves up when we win a point. I couldn't fire myself up deliberately, it had to be natural but it does work I went from 5-7 down to 11-8 winning. A psychologist once said the same thing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
I recently saw an interview with feng tianwei and was surprised she said her coach forced her to cho her points and would punish her if she didn't.
personally I don't think I ever choed a point in my life.
it just doesn't come naturally to me.

also it seems like you do it a little to disturb your opponent.
I never think of disturbing my opponent when playing a game.
I only think of playing the best way I can.
if the other guy is better then I'm happy for him and will gladly concede victory.

Reactions: Reaper
This user has no status.
I recently saw an interview with feng tianwei and was surprised she said her coach forced her to cho her points and would punish her if she didn't.
personally I don't think I ever choed a point in my life.
it just doesn't come naturally to me.

also it seems like you do it a little to disturb your opponent.
I never think of disturbing my opponent when playing a game.
I only think of playing the best way I can.
if the other guy is better then I'm happy for him and will gladly concede victory.

I find it interesting that its something a coach is instructing people to do, its weird but as its in the rules, its fine. I've never thought about it as putting my opponent off while in the game, but after a game you understand what you have done. I had a game once against a guy who was getting so annoyed at me cho-ing, he thought he could do it louder to get to me, funny enough it didn't work, next point I went even louder. It actually got his pissed off to the point he called my win over him "lucky"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
I find it interesting that its something a coach is instructing people to do, its weird but as its in the rules, its fine. I've never thought about it as putting my opponent off while in the game, but after a game you understand what you have done. I had a game once against a guy who was getting so annoyed at me cho-ing, he thought he could do it louder to get to me, funny enough it didn't work, next point I went even louder. It actually got his pissed off to the point he called my win over him "lucky"

here's the interview
it's pretty interesting, I always loved feng's style for how calm she looks.

as for you not realizing it puts your opponent off, you can say that the first time, but after you've been told once you already know so you can't give that excuse anymore :-D

Reactions: Skully
This user has no status.
I Choo (in my own language) when i win great looking or very important point. And when i lose a point, i instruct myself (i like to think) like Liu Shiwen when she figures what went wrong in a point and then nods with the head when she has figured the solution :) unless i'm having worst "luck", this is everything.
But over here, in our wild amateur league, everything goes. From silent types, to very very loud curse-screaming, in one or two cases rackets flying through the air, haha, man o man :)
Comrades are comrades, and i personaly like PASSION about sport, that's why i loved Zhang Jikes "King Kong" destruction, when adrenaline took over :)

This user has no status.
For me it really releases a lot of the build up tension from my body. Not all tension, that would be kinda bad, but enough to help me be absolutely focused on the next point. Usually I take longer to return to the table after losing a point, because I will reflect on how I lost the point.
I think there was a similar topic to this some time ago and I wrote about the same as above. ;)