Blade and Rubber recommendations for Intermediate Offensive player?

This user has no status.
Hello NDH. I play in Division 2 of the Portsmouth League (there are 4 Divisions) Division 1 of the Gosport & Fareham League (there are 2 Divisions). I only started playing again after I retired but previously I had played in a team which won Division 2 in Portsmouth and a couple of seasons in Division 1 (at that time there were 12 Divisions!) although I struggled as there was a huge gap between Division 1 and Division 2. Where do you play?

Hey Fanz, to save Carl from looking, did you upload any video of yourself playing?

Hello NDH, I've never uploaded footage of me playing, but believe me, I can do all the strokes there. However my footwork is bad, so I cant do it with that much consistency (for 2 points drill).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hello NDH, I've never uploaded footage of me playing, but believe me, I can do all the strokes there. However my footwork is bad, so I cant do it with that much consistency (for 2 points drill).

It was my old man memory. :)

I think I was thinking of Takkyu_wa_inochi.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yeah, it's really hard to test out a lot of rubbers when the price is so high a lot of the time.

I'll be doing quite a few reviews soon - So keep your eyes posted on some more budget friendly rubbers!

That made it real glad I burned all those brain cells and learned Korean as a teenager... I made good friends with the owner of Korea's largest online TT store and I got hooked up as equipment reviewer/tester and sponsored team. That really helped me be around more equipment, that plus trying out everyone's stuff in TT clubs when I run across a new rubber or blade.

Everyone, learn Korean, swim over to Korea, and spend 6-12 months there, you will have the time of a life.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think you guys have diverted and should focus on the post

Sent from my iPhony using Gangstatalk

We go through this every year or so, Carl and Co addressed this properly. TTD doesn't want readers to make the wrong conclusion, although yeah, it is everyone's responsibility to read stuff, know who it is talking, and make own decisions.

The issue of why other rubbers are better known and more popular than Nexy Karis....a little company from Korea with absolutely no marketing, not even trying to sell their products on major outlets....well, I can see why so few people have ever even heard of Nexy Karis. But that has nothing to do with how well the rubber performs.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
True, I have been accused as President of the USA operation that I do not market well, don't try, and even endorse other "competitors" who are actually working hard to serve the sport, like Cole in Kansas from colestt.com

One could accuse the CEO of the USA operation of playing more golf than TT and not flashing Karis on Times Square NYC big screen, even if he has the finances for it.

I analyzed and decided long, long ago that trying to grow market by advertising is a lost cause, even if you win, it is only a few million USD, which is small fry for the effort and money required. It is better that I do my part to foster interest in kids and older adults in TT, that grows the overall market, even if it is helping everyone else, I don't care. It is the right way to go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Believe you as unknown is difficult the best way is showing you evidence, we're still waiting for your footage buddy.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
if ur really that desperate ill get someone to record me at british league in a few weeks time, but going around challenging everyones technique on an online forum really isn't gonna archieve anything. There were a few points in this thread where people gave u the opportunity to just leave it and u just continue to ask people for videos, as if a single video of someone playing is gonna prove anything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
if ur really that desperate ill get someone to record me at british league in a few weeks time, but going around challenging everyones technique on an online forum really isn't gonna archieve anything. There were a few points in this thread where people gave u the opportunity to just leave it and u just continue to ask people for videos, as if a single video of someone playing is gonna prove anything.
Actually the video proves the actual status the one's recorded, many people talk because the air is free or post because their have hands, but when you check your own vid you can realize about things that you may be never could correct till you see, so it's a benefit for you mainly. And gives the property to review fairly, I don't have to challenge to anyone but someone can learn from our mistakes apart of us. So there are many positive things, don't forget to upload buddy ;)

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
Results prove one's actual status as its possible to win with pretty bad technique (google gustaf ericson) and equally possible to lose with good technique. And while it helps to know what u look like when playing, getting coaching is a bit easier than analyzing every time you play as we dont all have the time to analyse every time we train and play especially if youd rather spend the time training.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Results prove one's actual status as its possible to win with pretty bad technique (google gustaf ericson) and equally possible to lose with good technique. And while it helps to know what u look like when playing, getting coaching is a bit easier than analyzing every time you play as we dont all have the time to analyse every time we train and play especially if youd rather spend the time training.

I reckon this is the most overlooked point on TT forums.

I've seen some people practice/knock up, call it what you want, and they look like world beaters.

Then when I play them in a game, they don't have the overall game management to win.

I can play a decent backhand and a decent forehand - My overall technique is good enough to win at the highest local league level in the UK - But I doubt people would watch a video of me and think "he's really good!"

Maybe I'll have to do some simple forehand to forehand videos and make myself look like Ma Long!

@EvilOctopus - Where are you playing for BL?

I've been asked to play the weekend at Draycott - But I'm not sure I can make it!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think you guys have diverted and should focus on the post

We go through this every year or so, Carl and Co addressed this properly. TTD doesn't want readers to make the wrong conclusion, although yeah, it is everyone's responsibility to read stuff, know who it is talking, and make own decisions.

One thing to note, the OP of the thread has got his answers and has ordered his equipment. He doesn't seem to mind that the subject has changed. Hopefully, realizing that someone giving equipment advice may not have known the subject that well was useful to the OP.

Another thing to note, I do think the subject of someone who doesn't know what he is talking about and clearly does not know, over and over again giving advice....there are times when that is a worthwhile discussion. And clearly that person still does not know when to stop. How many of you caught how he tried to give me tips on technique? :)

If I was that forum member, I would have stopped. But it does seem he does not know when to stop.

Everyone who is a long time forum reader will remember what we went through a few years back, Carl and NL caught it right away and TTD was very very very patient and made allowances for the individual.

If you did not know what Der is talking about, a few years ago there was this specific forum member who came on the forum and started giving these crazy critiques of people's play and equipment. So much of it sounded like the kid did not know what he was talking about. So much of it was advice no intelligent player would give. In the end, it turned out the kid was pretty much a beginner like d here and, like d here, he kept trying to give players better than him advice that he didn't even realize was just not remotely helpful.

Perhaps people can see through that. But it is worth having someone giving bad information called out. That is for the benefit of the forum.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I've seen some people practice/knock up, call it what you want, and they look like world beaters.

Then when I play them in a game, they don't have the overall game management to win.

This would be a great topic. A lot of people look great when doing drills but are shockingly bad when playing matches. Looking at someone doing a drill with a set pattern like Falkenberg doesn't say much about their skill level. Add some randomness to the drill and they will fall apart (I'm in this category).

Reactions: thomas.pong

NDH

says Spin to win!
Yep - It seems nearly all juniors are coached in the same way.

Short serve
Back hand flick return
Attack everything on both sides.

If they are on form, it's really impressive to watch - But as soon as you add a bit of variety in there, or the match gets tight - I've seen many a player fall down due to only having 1 game plan or lack of experience.

Unfortunately, there is no way to compare results across different countries, and no universal ranking system.

I think the UK has a brilliant league structure, and with TT365, the rankings are becoming easier to work out.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
feel like experience is definitely the main issue for juniors. Half the time they almost know too many shots (at least thats what i put it down to) and then cant decide when it matters.
Also TT365 is a great idea, but my local league hasn't implemented it yet afaik and the rankings dont translate onto realy rankings which is a bit of a shame.