Blade and Rubber Recommendations Wanted For An Upgrade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
I’ll start with a lot of background to hopefully set the scene with experience, current level and style and learning curve. Sorry if this is long winded but I figure more information will hopefully lead to more accurate recommendations. I played a lot of table tennis as a kid but mainly just played my dad on a table at home so wasn’t exposed to a lot of different playing styles and had a very mediocre bat. After I left home, I didn’t play for 25 or so years but have recently got back into it and played in my first league last season and am now playing in my second season. I should also say that I play tennis to a decent competitive level so even though I had a long break from table tennis, I have always played some form of racket sport competitively.

I bought a bat last year from Custom Table Tennis which was called Classic Offensive and came with Xiom Vega Intro rubbers on both sides. I get on pretty well with the bat but have recently felt it’s starting to hold me back as I feel I could control the ball if the bat set up was faster, added to this a couple of people at my club have commented that it makes a really odd sound and looked at it and said “yeah the rubbers are ok but the blade is cheap and ****”. So, I’m after advice on what blade to get and also which rubbers will suit me, I don’t want too much of a drastic change, just something that will help me progress further.

In terms of standard, I’m improving quickly but still have a lot to learn and I’m focussing a lot on getting the basics right to cement a good foundation My goal is to try and get into the premier league either next season or season after. I’m playing in my local league’s 1st division, last year was my first time in a league and I had a win % of 57%, this season I’m on 90% and I’ve only dropped 3 games against a couple of players that are usually in the premier division. I’ve been told that I’m a mix of a chopper and a counter-attacker, it’s mainly lack of experience & confidence I think that is making me play this way at the moment, I tend to play reasonably safely, mixing up short & long chops until I get an opportunity to do FH or BH drive. However, when playing some of the prem players who have a lot more topspin, I seem to do ok being more offensive by initiating deep top spins and countering their drives - on our club night last night for example I played against one of the premier players who I’d not seen before and got 2 games off him and the others were close losses, in that I was attacking a lot and coped pretty well with a lot more spin than I’m used to.

I’m told my serves are pretty solid, usually mixing up fast/long, short/spinny and tomahawks both normal and reverse. I’m working on playing a more attacking style and to initiate the attack more but it’ll take time for this to feel normal. I recently had a 2 hour lesson with a top coach to work on a more offensive style and he reckoned 6 months of practice needed to get my drives and topspins part of muscle memory.

From the research I’ve done I’m looking at Xiom Offensive S blade, and starting with the Xiom Vega Euro DF rubbers on both sides at 2mm thickness. However, it’s a significant investment so I’m after advice if there’s something out there that may suit me better. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

This user has no status.
It's hard to believe that with the intensity of your training you would even choose a blaed like Xiom Offensive S, too soft for the big ball nowadays bordering on a kid's starter option. If you don't feel tough enough with OC, then a 7-ply like CLCR is recommended. more support, strong spin, and makes you more versatile both offensively and defensively. And it's not expensive.
很难相信,以你的训练强度,你甚至会选择像 Xiom Offensive S 这样的 blaed,对于现在的大球来说太软了,几乎是孩子的首发选择。如果您觉得 OC 不够坚韧,那么建议使用像 CLCR 这样的 7 层。更多的支持,强大的旋转,让你在进攻和防守上都更加多才多艺。而且它并不贵。
1704187721082.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
I assume your blade Classic Offensive is the Stiga Offensive Classic. If so it’s still an excellent blade. It’s a 5-ply blade with insane amount of accuracy and spin.

Try not to upgrade rubber and blade at the same time.

You can try Xiom Vega Pro/X on FH and Vega Europe on BH.
The blade is made by Custom Table Tennis themselves, so is a cheaper option vs a named brand.

Reactions: Lazer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
It's hard to believe that with the intensity of your training you would even choose a blaed like Xiom Offensive S, too soft for the big ball nowadays bordering on a kid's starter option. If you don't feel tough enough with OC, then a 7-ply like CLCR is recommended. more support, strong spin, and makes you more versatile both offensively and defensively. And it's not expensive.
很难相信,以你的训练强度,你甚至会选择像 Xiom Offensive S 这样的 blaed,对于现在的大球来说太软了,几乎是孩子的首发选择。如果您觉得 OC 不够坚韧,那么建议使用像 CLCR 这样的 7 层。更多的支持,强大的旋转,让你在进攻和防守上都更加多才多艺。而且它并不贵。
View attachment 27927
I've read up on the CR and really like the recommendation, so thank you. I just weighed my bat and it's 160g, so it's going to be a step up in weight which will be interesting to try. Do you think that the Xiom Europe DF will pair well with it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
I disagree with Stella. Considering your first real custom bat was some lousy no name brand blade of unknown speed and with intro rubbers, the step up to great blade like Xiom Offensive S with modern tensors should be a big step. Especially if you consider that you just started coaching. I vote for an offensive 5 ply blade (like Offensive S) instead of a 7 ply like the clipper. It’s a lot harder to spin and create great arc with a thick 7 ply like the Clipper.

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I agree with SamTheMan here. Go for a 5-ply offensive all wood blade and put the Vega Intro rubbers on that one first, to see how these play together. Then it will be easier to know what you lack in the rubbers, if you do.

Like SFF_lib, I think that you should do minor changes if you have something that's working for you, so you don't get lost and have to rebuild your technique because your new setup is really different.

This user has no status.
Yasaka Sweden Extra is a good and cheap blade worth every cent. If you liked Xiom, the Vega Europe is just great. Usually FH tends to privilege harder sponge, BH privileges softer sponges. So I would suggest Vega Pro (or Vega X) on FH and Vega Europe on BH. If you wait for the right discount, you can get such a bat, glued and shipped for free at about 90 euros from TT11 or Dandoy. 2.0mm is the way to go.

This user has no status.
I've read up on the CR and really like the recommendation, so thank you. I just weighed my bat and it's 160g, so it's going to be a step up in weight which will be interesting to try. Do you think that the Xiom Europe DF will pair well with it?
The one piece of good news is that CL is compatible with almost all hitters and rubbers.
If you think the CLCR is too fast, then use the uncoated classic version of the CL.
如果您认为 CLCR 速度太快,请使用 CL 的无涂层经典版本。
Today is different, it's true that CL is less likely to create spin for previous balls, but man, ABS balls can be 40mm+ these days!
今天不同,确实 CL 不太可能为以前的球创造旋转,但伙计,现在 ABS 球可以达到 40mm+!
1704244753795.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
The blade is made by Custom Table Tennis themselves, so is a cheaper option vs a named brand.

It's still no harm to stay with your original blade so you make incremental changes. If you really want to change the entire setup, you can change your blade to any soft 5-ply blade made by reputable manufacturers.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
Yasaka Sweden Extra is a good and cheap blade worth every cent. If you liked Xiom, the Vega Europe is just great. Usually FH tends to privilege harder sponge, BH privileges softer sponges. So I would suggest Vega Pro (or Vega X) on FH and Vega Europe on BH. If you wait for the right discount, you can get such a bat, glued and shipped for free at about 90 euros from TT11 or Dandoy. 2.0mm is the way to go.
Thanks Trevize84.
With the Vega Europe I see that there's a newer version called Euro DF, listed as about the same speed but greater spin. Are you suggesting I just get the regular Euro or the DF? Dandoy have discounts on some Xiom rubbers at the moment so it looks like a good time to buy

Reactions: Trevize84
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Thanks Trevize84.
With the Vega Europe I see that there's a newer version called Euro DF, listed as about the same speed but greater spin. Are you suggesting I just get the regular Euro or the DF? Dandoy have discounts on some Xiom rubbers at the moment so it looks like a good time to buy

The DF version is meant to give you more grip with the new ball. It’s safer to use the DF version.

Bear in mind in general, the Europe rubber is designed for all-rounded play.

Reactions: AdamTT
This user has no status.
Thanks Trevize84.
I didn't try the DF version. I do use Vega Europe (classic version) on a Yasaka Sweden Extra and it feels just right. Control is sweet and being a softer sponge glued on Anigre ply allows for that extra kick from the blade that produces a nice cracking sound when you hit correctly. I love that feedback. You need few hours of play before it starts to feel like that. Vega Pro is a different story, but it's the most commonly paired with Europe. I tried Pro for very short time, but I used to have Vega X on my old Bfly Primorac blade (I went from Mark V to Vega X that was quite a jump into the unknown). I must say it took months to me to get used with Vega X, eventually I was very happy of the choice, because the effort to learn how to use such a rubber actually improved my game. Disclaimer here is to have coaching. Check this out for more info: https://www.xiom.eu/vega

This user has no status.
I checked out Euro DF on the link in my previous post. It's 37.5° hard. Honestly I learned that anything below 42° is too soft and is not beneficial for learning. To be thorough I have to mention that topsheet hardness also plays a role, hence one should not judge a rubber exclusively from sponge hardness. However, without any information I would avoid anything below 42° and make a safe purchase (I made a couple of these mistakes in the past). This also tells me Europe and Euro DF are very different rubbers, perhaps they feels similar but who knows.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
I checked out Euro DF on the link in my previous post. It's 37.5° hard. Onestly I learned that anything below 42° is too soft and is not beneficial for learning. To be thorough I have to mention that topsheet hardness also plays a role, hence one should not judge a rubber exclusively from sponge hardness. However, without any information I would avoid anything below 42° and make a safe purchase (I made a couple of these mistakes in the past). This also tells me Europe and Euro DF are very different rubbers, perhaps they feels similar but who knows.
Thanks. I actually placed and order about an hour ago, I did go for the DF on the backhand. I'll see how I get on. I saw several reviews from people much preferring it to the non-DF Euro so fingers crossed. I went for the Vega Pro on forehand and based on majority of advice in this thread opted for the Offensive S blade. I've got lots of time to get used to the bat, as we've only got 2 league games left this season against people I know I can beat pretty easily and then onto the handicap!

This user has no status.
37.5° Is surprisingly soft, my guess is the topsheet is very hard and that would also make sense considering it's made for ABS balls. I think you won't be disappointed, Vega Europe is one of the most appreciated products from Xiom. Using the Europe/Euro name on a disappointing product would be an epic marketing failure. Offensive S has a quite common and classic composition and that is another safe bet.

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
The offensive classic is one of the most popular blades of all time. Whoever looked at it and said it was cheap and whatnot, he didn't know what he was talking about.

OC has good control and enough speed for even intermediate players, hell, Garth uses one with t05 on both sides. Vega Europe would work perfectly on it, maybe even the pro on the forehand side.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
The offensive classic is one of the most popular blades of all time. Whoever looked at it and said it was cheap and whatnot, he didn't know what he was talking about.

OC has good control and enough speed for even intermediate players, hell, Garth uses one with t05 on both sides. Vega Europe would work perfectly on it, maybe even the pro on the forehand side.
you need to read the posts, its not a Stiga offensive classic, read #10