Blade handles

I've used most FL, but I got a blade with AN handle and it's great for almost everything (my hands are big), but FL gives a little bit more malleability to my BH.

I don't like ST at all, I get the feel the blade will fly away from my hand anytime. It actually never happens, but I like the way the AN grip feels tight and secure, just great for my FH loops and smashes and firm on the BH.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I find a big difference between round ST and square ST. I prefer the round ST. To me they are as different as with FL.

Reactions: BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have heard lots of things. I have heard things like, driving is better with a straight handle and spin is better with a flare. But then you look at Timo Boll and he uses straight and not many people get as much spin as he does.

My thought on the Anatomic handles is, this: When I used to grab with my fingers and hold the handle more tightly, I used to like anatomic handles. When I started holding the blade face with my index finger and thumb, started leaving the other fingers relaxed, I started liking the thinner center of the handle of a flare. I have hands that hands that are on the small side. But when I wanted to hold onto the handle, an anatomic handle felt much better to me. Now that I want my hand and wrist really relaxed, I appreciate the flair more and feel like I my wrist is more mobile with a flare.

For someone with large hands, I notice, often, an anatomic handle will feel better than a flare. And so will a straight handle for a lot of guys with bigger hands. But is really is just down to personal preference.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: BeGo
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
One thing I think is clear for me at least, if you use big grip changes between BH and FH, a round ST handle makes it a lot easier.

I have long fingers (commonly called 'piano hands') and at first I bought ST handles. Thought they were great. Then as my strokes improved, I've switched to FL. As USD Carl mentioned, it's how you hold the handle. And if that (hold) really matters to you. And note that not all handles are the same.

For instance the new KTL instinct has a longer and wider handle than the DHS brand. I like the performance on my DHS PG7 ST, only the handle is like a pencil.

Suggest the next time you're at you club ask to hold the handles of as many blades as possible. Then formulate you own opinion.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Got me a couple of "L-size" PG7 ST... Here are comparison with regular one:

05c0e3e1a2503e232deab7821e42e8bd.jpg

fa26feb0122970201140071879ad47de.jpg

42d9493e5f1bbddd29cdbaf5591d35e9.jpg

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I have found that ST handles make really fast transitions between forehand and backhand easier than FL. That's just my experience (and something I discovered after playing for decades with FL handles). I prefer round ST handles to Square ST handles. If the handle has distinct edges, I prefer FL. So the ST handles on some Btfly blades are not good for me. The ST handle on my Donic True Carbon is very comfortable.

I never really gave it much thought, just always used FL handles, literally since I was a kid. But I noticed that some of my favorite players have preferred ST handles, so I tried it. I have not gone back. The first couple of times I had the impression the blade would go flying out of my hand but it never does, and that feeling passes.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I used to feel that way when I started playing with ST. After years though, it seems more ordinary for me and changing between FL and ST is fine for me. Every now and then got me AN blades and I like them as well...

And btw, I'm going to get the DTC in October based on your review.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
One of the first bats that I've played, a Donic Appelgren 500; I bought a pair of them, being one for me and the other for my brother...

Both were FL, but mine had a square and thick handle that was amazing for me... My brother's handle was round and thinner, and even though they were the same bat, I played way better by that time with my bat, mostly because of the confortable feel and grip that I had with that handle... It also had the AVS (Anti-Vibration System - http://www.donic-schildkroet.com/en/features/technolgies.html), that made that handle a spectacle. Really miss that handle in my current blade hahahahaha