Blade to rubber combination thumbrules

says The best time to learn table tennis was 10 years ago ...
Oct 2023
I read somewhere on the forum discussing the Yasaka Sweden Extra that H3 wouldn't go well on it.. and the poster said something about the outer ply being too hard for the rubber... I remember once putting on a hard Chinese rubber on my copy of YSE and getting the same dead response.

So this got me thinking if there are some basic principles / thumbrules around what type of rubbers go on what type of blades? Like slow versus fast... wood versus hybrid... etc.

Thoughts?

rule of thumb:
1. Hard rubber / flexy blade
2. Soft rubber / stiff blade
My rule of thumb:
1. Hard rubber / soft outer layer
2. Soft rubber / harder outer layer.

The flex goes both ways, not really dependent on rubber hardness...

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Choosikick
Oct 2023
rule of thumb:
1. Hard rubber / flexy blade
2. Soft rubber / stiff blade
if you are pro, your imagination is the limitation.
Hmm, YSE is a fairly flexible blade... not at all hard by carbon comparisons, so then hard Chinese rubber such as H3/Big Dipper would go well as per your suggestion...

I've found that not to be true... I even tried the Xiom Vega X on it and it wasn't exactly the best combo, though not as bad as the Chinese rubbers. On the contrary, the Chinese rubbers go very well with hard carbon blades such as v14 Pro and Pro 01.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
The dead bounce is actually the whole point. It allows the user to put in the work on the shots. Hard tacky rubber paired with flexible blade feels fantastic on big swing, but other than that, the combination feels like, ahem, a vibrator on medium-power shots (can be alleviated at heavier weights), which requires the user to play actively.

Reactions: SamTheMan
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Hard tacky rubbers also fit well hard but flexible blades, h3 with viscaria for example. I like intensity and yeo with hurricane and skyline. Also tenergy and tenergy fx fits them. I just don't really like soft blade with soft rubber. If doesn't give confidence with stronger play.

says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
Nov 2022
It's all pretty individual. But for me the thumb rules are:
1)Hard dead rubber + medium hard, medium flexible fast blade(HL5, Viscaria)
2)Hard bouncy rubber + medium Hard, medium stiff blade(Vis,TB ALC)
3)Soft bouncy rubber + hard stiff blade, not necessarily fast(Boll Tricarbon😂, Wooden blades(Clipper)
4) Soft dead rubber + hard fast blade(Boll Tricarbon, T8s, 75 ALC)
If you don't plan to use extremely hard and extremely dead rubbers, any blade will suit the rubber. Many people say that Viscaria is the most universal offensive blade.

In fact, any rubber suit any blade, it all depends on your technique, style, feelings.
I don't follow my rules and try to test every rubber on every blade if I don't like it on the current blade.