Books you'd recommend

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
As an avid reader and a person who loves to research a subject I'm looking for any recommendations you may have
I am interested in the history of the game (worldwide) as well as historically important people (coaches, pioneers, players)
any recommendations greatly appreciated

This user has no status.
As an avid reader and a person who loves to research a subject I'm looking for any recommendations you may have
I am interested in the history of the game (worldwide) as well as historically important people (coaches, pioneers, players)
any recommendations greatly appreciated
Revelations of a ping pong champion- Dan Seemiller
Bounce- Matthew Syed

Reactions: Darren Maudling
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Most TT books are of the 'How to play' variety, but if you're interested in the history of the game and players, there are several books you should seek out. I'm a TT historian and have read many books on the game, so these are my top choices:

First and foremost - ITTF 1926-2001 Table Tennis Legends by Zdenko Uzorinac, published by the ITTF in 2001 (in English). A huge hardback (495 pp) which contains essays/stats on all the great players (and more) from the earliest days, and hundreds of photos. Essential and totally engrossing, but pretty difficult to find now, I should think. https://books.google.co.uk/books/ab...nnis_Legends.html?id=C3p3PAAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Others which are just great reading:-

The Money Player - Marty Reisman. Fascinating and hugely enjoyable autobiography of the USA's leading ping-pong hustler.

Sizzling chops and devilish spins - Jerome Charyn. Reflections on lots of aspects of the game; one of the best pieces of TT literature.

Twenty-One Up - Richard Bergmann. 4-time world champion Bergmann's autobiography; encapsulates the whole pre- and immediate post-war era of the game.

Ogi - Mitsuru Jojima. Superb biography of Japan's greatest TT figure - world champion, visionary coach and ultimately ITTF President.

When the feeling decides-Jens Fellke. The biography of Jan-Ove Waldner (up to c. 2001). Indispensable story of one of TT's geniuses.

History of US TT - Tim Boggan. Boggan has got as far as Volume 18 in this massive survey of American TT - but it's much more than that, and Boggan is a richly provocative and readble author. You can read it online, here - http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/History/History-of-USATT

Zdenko Uzorinac - ‘Od Sarajevo do Novog Sad’. Uzorinac wrote several TT history books, mostly in Croatian, but this one is also in English and covers the World Championships between 1973 and 1979 - and is a great read.

Jens Fellke’s ‘TT-Point of no return’ - which is about the whole issue surrounding the glue ban a few years ago, but also covers the career of Jorgen Persson and the great Swedish team of the 80s/90s.

Nicolas Griffin - Ping-Pong Diplomacy, which is all about the history of Table Tennis, especially in developing China; the colourful history of Ivor Montagu, the first President of the ITTF - and President for 41 years; and the Ping-Pong diplomacy years around the early 70s. A few of his facts are questionable but it's an enthralling story.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Most TT books are of the 'How to play' variety, but if you're interested in the history of the game and players, there are several books you should seek out. I'm a TT historian and have read many books on the game, so these are my top choices:

First and foremost - ITTF 1926-2001 Table Tennis Legends by Zdenko Uzorinac, published by the ITTF in 2001 (in English). A huge hardback (495 pp) which contains essays/stats on all the great players (and more) from the earliest days, and hundreds of photos. Essential and totally engrossing, but pretty difficult to find now, I should think. https://books.google.co.uk/books/ab...nnis_Legends.html?id=C3p3PAAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Others which are just great reading:-

The Money Player - Marty Reisman. Fascinating and hugely enjoyable autobiography of the USA's leading ping-pong hustler.

Sizzling chops and devilish spins - Jerome Charyn. Reflections on lots of aspects of the game; one of the best pieces of TT literature.

Twenty-One Up - Richard Bergmann. 4-time world champion Bergmann's autobiography; encapsulates the whole pre- and immediate post-war era of the game.

Ogi - Mitsuru Jojima. Superb biography of Japan's greatest TT figure - world champion, visionary coach and ultimately ITTF President.

When the feeling decides-Jens Fellke. The biography of Jan-Ove Waldner (up to c. 2001). Indispensable story of one of TT's geniuses.

History of US TT - Tim Boggan. Boggan has got as far as Volume 18 in this massive survey of American TT - but it's much more than that, and Boggan is a richly provocative and readble author. You can read it online, here - http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/History/History-of-USATT

Zdenko Uzorinac - ‘Od Sarajevo do Novog Sad’. Uzorinac wrote several TT history books, mostly in Croatian, but this one is also in English and covers the World Championships between 1973 and 1979 - and is a great read.

Jens Fellke’s ‘TT-Point of no return’ - which is about the whole issue surrounding the glue ban a few years ago, but also covers the career of Jorgen Persson and the great Swedish team of the 80s/90s.

Nicolas Griffin - Ping-Pong Diplomacy, which is all about the history of Table Tennis, especially in developing China; the colourful history of Ivor Montagu, the first President of the ITTF - and President for 41 years; and the Ping-Pong diplomacy years around the early 70s. A few of his facts are questionable but it's an enthralling story.

Good knowledge! Will google some of this.

Reactions: Darren Maudling