BREAKING: Ma Long & Fan Zhendong boycott CHINA OPEN!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
http://www.ittf.com/2017/06/24/chengdu-3-timeline-events/
June 20

Chinese Table Tennis Association (CTTA) announce coaching restructure of national team. Head Coach Liu Guoliang is promoted to Vice President of CTTA.
June 22

Day 1 of the Seamaster 2017 China Open in Chengdu.
June 23

14:40 Men’s Doubles matches commence on Day 2 of China Open. Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin compete and win their quarter-final doubles match.
16:00 Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin compete and lose their semi-final match in the Men’s Doubles.
19:00 Players and coaches from China’s men’s team post to their Weibo accounts: “At this moment we have no desire to fight……all because we miss you Liu Guoliang!”
19:40 Ma Long does not show for his second round Men’s Singles match. No contact can be made with Ma Long to determine his whereabouts. The crowd at the China Open begin chanting Liu Guoliang’s name.
20:25 Fan Zhendong does not show for his second round Men’s Singles match.
21:10 Xu Xin does not show for his second round Men’s Singles match. Ma Long, Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin can not be contacted via their phones and have left the official hotel.
22:00 Liu Guoliang is the top trending sport’s hashtag on Chinese social media.
22:30 All social media posts by players and coaches deleted, and all relevant media posts successively removed inside China.
23:00 Chinese Sports Administration release a statement condemning the actions of the athletes and coaches, calling upon CTTA to investigate and deal with the incident severely.
June 24

09:00 All players involved remain unreachable.

Reactions: BeGo and eyepop
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
What injustice happened?

IMHO this doesn't really fit here, 'cause their case of injustice was on a whole different level, so i'll make it short:
The three athletes Tommy Smith, John Carlos and Peter Norman were protesting against (institutionalised) racism and got treated very bad for that in the aftermath.
But as i said, i don't think this is comparable.
If your interested in this, then look here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute

Back to topic,
I really hope the best for our protesters and hope all goes well for them

Reactions: BeGo and ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I'm watching female single quarter final now, Zhu Yuling VS Chen Meng. So, no impact on female players.

This user has no status.
c185e3f4d27a61c0a1274f168eae1de8.jpg

CNT practising in their new environment

This user has no status.
Ok we get it, u r japanese and happy about the whole situation. These players however are the ppl champs..

no I'm not happy, but I'm amused. Actually I like very much both MA Long, and FAN Zhendong. XU Xin i cannot stand him, but i like his style as well.

btw i'm not Japanese, I'm French. I thought French had more sense of humour... LOL

Relax guys.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
IMHO this doesn't really fit here, 'cause their case of injustice was on a whole different level, so i'll make it short:
The three athletes Tommy Smith, John Carlos and Peter Norman were protesting against (institutionalised) racism and got treated very bad for that in the aftermath.
But as i said, i don't think this is comparable.
If your interested in this, then look here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute

Back to topic,
I really hope the best for our protesters and hope all goes well for them

I was referring to a symbolic protest, instead of the whole boycott which might result in damaging the protesters' future career. A symbolic gesture (a love symbol showing love for LGL as an example) from these players during the award ceremony may deliver the message to government-owned organization more effective without challenging its power.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
ZJK's new post on his Sina Weibo has nothing related to CNT. Just a proof that he can access his phone and Weibo.
YA told his fans on Weibo group that he is safe but said nothing about CNT.
ML/FZD/XX have not logged on Sina Weibo today.

did he post an update?!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
The latest Chinese analysis shows two causes of the mass protest:
1-LGL was informed just a day befire his dismissal with NO EXPLANATION.
2-The new position great gives LGL no real coaching or control over CNT.

In Chinese there's a term called 明昇暗降,means a promotion on the surface, but a downgrade in reality.

So far, Ma Lin, Wang Hao, Ma Long, Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin have protested. These are five big names. I am very eager (also nervous) to see what's coming.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
ZJK's post is a reblog about the earthquake in Sichuan. He wrote (rough translation): Natural disasters are ruthless, but people are warm/loving. Hope that more people survive, pray for safety/peace.
Some people are reading this as a message about the protest situation as well, but idk

Reactions: eyepop
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
ZJK's new post on his Sina Weibo has nothing related to CNT. Just a proof that he can access his phone and Weibo.
YA told his fans on Weibo group that he is safe but said nothing about CNT.
ML/FZD/XX have not logged on Sina Weibo today.
ma long should give a sign ....
after i saw your comment i checked his weibo . his post is about rescuing some people in sichuan province due to mountain collapse and want people to pray .it seems a post with full of meaning and secrets rainneverever . actually he wants people to pray for his brothers :cool::D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
He is taking his side. Very smart. Poor LGL.

ZJK's post is a reblog about the earthquake in Sichuan. He wrote (rough translation): Natural disasters are ruthless, but people are warm/loving. Hope that more people survive, pray for safety/peace.
Some people are reading this as a message about the protest situation as well, but idk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
No idea why I wrote earthquake, sorry, I meant landslide.

This user has no status.
Huge story, indeed. I can't judge the players right or wrong as I don't know the background or the goal of their protest. We all love the players and we tend to think low of officials and bureaucrats but that doesn't necessarily make their actions right. Did LGL need to be punished? Did he need to be removed and what are the reasons? Did the players want to just show their love and support or really defy the whole GAS function and the scheduled CNT structure? Players need to talk and explain. The only thing I know for sure is that they made a very brave move and I admire and respect them for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: sanavasaraja