butterfly flextra

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Is butterfly flextra decent for a begginer player trying to learn the basics and how to loop properly?
does it have decent spin?
I have a allround style and like to move the ball around teh table with blocks and then smash it when it goes high.
im a 14 year old

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep Flextra and Roundel are for throwing in the garbage. If you are going to get something inexpensive you may as well get an inexpensive Chinese rubber like Dawei 2008XP which only costs $8.00 and plays at least as well as either of the over priced Butterfly rubbers mentioned.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

Last edited:
Reactions: WingTT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
LKT Pro XP or XT. Only $14. Dawes IQUL is $16. Air Illumina is $18 I think. What I like about IQUL and Illumina is that they come in different thickness and hardnesses so there are many options.
Then move to the DHS Neos for $22. They are a little tacky.
These rubbers are affordable and play well.
I like a DHS Neo on my FH and IQUL 1,8mm on my BH.

Reactions: Topspinslinger
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
LKT Pro XP or XT. Only $14. Dawes IQUL is $16. Air Illumina is $18 I think. What I like about IQUL and Illumina is that they come in different thickness and hardnesses so there are many options.
Then move to the DHS Neos for $22. They are a little tacky.
These rubbers are affordable and play well.
I like a DHS Neo on my FH and IQUL 1,8mm on my BH.

There you go. Nice post.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Flextra is slow. Fallacy! Urban Myth!

Being using it for a month now exclusively. It is not slow at all.

But but but did I get a lemon product coz not sure why, FH topspin curve like banana towards the left. Ball does not go straight ahead.

p/s 100% Completely sober when doing FH topspin.

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Isn't Flextra the Butterfly version of Donic Vario, Tibhar Vari Spin, etc.?

I'd say any of these is perfectly suited for someone learning the basics. Plus, it will probably be well worn out by the time you're ready for a step up in rubbers.
just in time.

Rozena & Tenergies are alll waiting in my drawer patiently for my return.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyce
Flextra is slow. Fallacy! Urban Myth!

Being using it for a month now exclusively. It is not slow at all.

But but but did I get a lemon product coz not sure why, FH topspin curve like banana towards the left. Ball does not go straight ahead.

p/s 100% Completely sober when doing FH topspin.
Speed, it’s probably your blade.
You are hitting the ball on the side like a hook that’s why it curves.

My training partner and I sometimes gets into “duels” where we hook the ball further and further into the FH corner until we’re almost playing perpendicular. It’s lots of fun actually…

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
My first custom setup was with Flextra on BH on a 5ply all wood blade when I was a beginner. It was as slow as the unboosted, non-NEO, tacky Hurricanes on my premade DHS bat. Fine for solidifying basic fundamentals, but I changed to 'faster' rubbers (TG3Neo and Nittaku Zalt/Mark V) once I started looping.

Probably wouldn't recommend Flextra these days with how many decent, cheap control-orientated rubbers there are from China now!

says 40+ age in the 40+ age
says 40+ age in the 40+ age
Jan 2024
Well as for recommending, I think there's multiple aspects here.
1. if your environment (coach, training partners etc. especially those you want guidance from) knows what Flextra is and doesn't know much about other rubbers - going for what they know can help in making comparisons with other's materials, or selecting new material when you're ready to go up a step.
2. if you already *have* the Flextra and it's working decently well, I would recommend staying with it.
3. if neither of the above apply, it gets harder to recommend due to its price point and the offerings of the competition. It's still not going to be a bad choice for a developing player as long as you don't feel like you've hit the limits of the rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I know a pretty strong player (2000+) who uses Flextra on both sides. It is extremely difficult to hit the ball past him, he uses flextra to block and counter topspins very consistently and the lack of power and spin on his shots also causes errors for opponents. A lot of equipment comes down to playing style, if you are playing at a level where the power/speed demands are as important if not more so than consistency, there is still a reasonable case (if not fun or Gozo case) for Flextra.

Reactions: Ttvet86
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Yep Flextra and Roundel are for throwing in the garbage. If you are going to get something inexpensive you may as well get an inexpensive Chinese rubber like Dawei 2008XP which only costs $8.00 and plays at least as well as either of the over priced Butterfly rubbers mentioned.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone
2008xp is out of production. 729 super fx is much better.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
2008xp is out of production. 729 super fx is much better.

Yeah, If you look at the date stamp on the post you are quoting, it is 2015 so almost a decade ago. :)

Until Gozo woke this thread up (post #8) all the posts were from Oct 2015.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Gozo just discovered an ancient artifact that goes well with his Avenger Mark I.

Now going through the beta testing phase and will be unleashed upon my opponents once test are completed and results are satisactory.

At the moment, trials results are promising...
IMG_8542.jpeg

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Damn, why revive the thread then?
Because Gozo just discovered the joy and delight of using ol'skool non-tensor classic rubber of days gone by.

Retro baby! Yeah, baby yeah!!!
IMG_8544.gif

P/S: Those who says these ol'skool non-tensor rubbers are slow are LIAR! LIAR! PANTS ON FIRE!

Last edited: