Butterfly Michael Maze ALC vs Hurricane Long V

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Thanks Giang !
Sorry for the late reply buddy.

So just a quick comparison between the HL5 (commercial) Yellow/Grey strip on the handle, FB2 and the MM ALC:

Spec:
HL5: 160x150, thickness 6.00, 94g
FB2: 157x150, thickness 5.85 (actual thickness), 91.6g
MM ALC: 157x150, thickness 5.95-6.00 (actual thickness), 85g

Handles size: MM ALC>HL5>FB2

Speed: HL5>MM ALC>FB2

Control: FB2>HL5>MM ALC

When playing the consistency when blocking is better with the MM ALC. With the HL5/FB2 blades you have to be more active on the ball.
I feel the HL5 has more dwell when playing and that is due to the larger head size of the HL5.

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
No worries Giang, we were anyways waiting for Der_Echte to make his cross country drive back to Sac and settle down before we can get our hands on Karis ....

Thank you so much ! This really helps ... appreciate your going out of your way, testing it out and giving out the info.

So just a quick comparison between the HL5 (commercial) Yellow/Grey strip on the handle, FB2 and the MM ALC:

Spec:

When playing the consistency when blocking is better with the MM ALC. With the HL5/FB2 blades you have to be more active on the ball.
I feel the HL5 has more dwell when playing and that is due to the larger head size of the HL5.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
No worries Giang, we were anyways waiting for Der_Echte to make his cross country drive back to Sac and settle down before we can get our hands on Karis ....

Thank you so much ! This really helps ... appreciate your going out of your way, testing it out and giving out the info.

Totally fair! You might have to wait longer. Perhaps the Goon Squad management have hold him back on the east coast to debrief about his trouble making in NY.
And you are welcome. If you have any other questions just ask. :)

Just of curiosity, what is the next test for her?

BTW me going to SF will not be an option atm. I am not working for the company anymore who was sending me to SF. :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thats too bad , we were hoping to see more of you!!

Now she will have to decide which blade she wants , she told me that this thread has been very helpful and I encouraged her to join the forum. Of course the price component of Fang Bo 2 is very enticing , but I will encourage her to get something a more tried and tested like Long V or MM ... she was thinking of putting Hurricane 8 on the forehand , I told her my experience with Hurricane 3 vs 8 , that I always felt that 8 lacks a little spin and power on the top end , and told her that if she wants I can always boost an H3 for her , now that I know how to do it , that is till she learns to do it herself ....

We did another drilling session and we were already doing better . She was a little late on her backhand blocks but I think it will get sorted out with time and more practice ... I don't think she has had too much structured practice to learn the blocking part of the game , her coach is not getting any younger and I don't think he loops that much and forces her to learn blocking, as a friend I can try to supplement that part of the training , from my experience I have always felt that learning to block is one of the most overlooked part of the training ..

Totally fair! You might have to wait longer. Perhaps the Goon Squad management have hold him back on the east coast to debrief about his trouble making in NY.
And you are welcome. If you have any other questions just ask. :)

Just of curiosity, what is the next test for her?

BTW me going to SF will not be an option atm. I am not working for the company anymore who was sending me to SF. :(

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Thats too bad , we were hoping to see more of you!!

Now she will have to decide which blade she wants , she told me that this thread has been very helpful and I encouraged her to join the forum. Of course the price component of Fang Bo 2 is very enticing , but I will encourage her to get something a more tried and tested like Long V or MM ... she was thinking of putting Hurricane 8 on the forehand , I told her my experience with Hurricane 3 vs 8 , that I always felt that 8 lacks a little spin and power on the top end , and told her that if she wants I can always boost an H3 for her , now that I know how to do it , that is till she learns to do it herself ....

We did another drilling session and we were already doing better . She was a little late on her backhand blocks but I think it will get sorted out with time and more practice ... I don't think she has had too much structured practice to learn the blocking part of the game , her coach is not getting any younger and I don't think he loops that much and forces her to learn blocking, as a friend I can try to supplement that part of the training , from my experience I have always felt that learning to block is one of the most overlooked part of the training ..

Yeah it is sad I won't be in SF in the near future, but I believe it was the right decision to leave the company.

She would more than welcome to join the forum. Sounds interesting and it won't hurt her to do exercises related to her weak points. Great you are there to help her out! I just remembered that DHS recently released the Power G5 blade which is similar composition as the HL5, but very cheap compared to the signature blades. I saw somewhere is was 28USD.

Power G5.JPG

http://www.dhs-sports.com/malong/be4356ec-2633-422d-7ed2-5454ed3a58b9.shtml

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Wow ! thanks ! 28 dollars for an ALC blade ! just tells you how much profit these guys are making ...
Yeah it is sad I won't be in SF in the near future, but I believe it was the right decision to leave the company.

She would more than welcome to join the forum. Sounds interesting and it won't hurt her to do exercises related to her weak points. Great you are there to help her out! I just remembered that DHS recently released the Power G5 blade which is similar composition as the HL5, but very cheap compared to the signature blades. I saw somewhere is was 28USD.

View attachment 13833

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Exactly ... 190 + dollars vis-a-vis 40 dollars and 18 dollars , puts even the mythical national versions to shame ! . atleast butterfly is consistent in lying ... DHS is surely not doing a great job of avoiding product cannibalization ..
How do you want Ma Long to become rich?

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Spec:

View attachment 13831

View attachment 13832

Your measurement about speed and control are relative for each person right ?
I mean every person will have a different feel for each blade. Isn't it ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Your measurement about speed and control are relative for each person right ?
I mean every person will have a different feel for each blade. Isn't it ?

No, he is not saying that. He is telling you what he feels will be true for anyone. If you have a different opinion, that is fine too and feel free to share. But when I say that a Viscaria is a faster than a Grubba Pro, I don't mean it is true just for myself. A Maze vs HL5 is less clear, but blades are made of wood and are inconsistent in weight, so it can vary for that reason as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
+1 , Did not want to start an argument and let the thread get hijacked so chose not to respond :) .... yes individual technique and feeling might change the degree but the reason he chose to express the measurements in a relative fashion is because it would be the same for anyone ... now if somebody's technique is not good enough or feeling is refined enough to understand the difference between what is flex doing to the feeling and mistake that for less power in the blade would be just misleading perception .... Giangt is an accomplished table tennis player so when he says something I can understand what he is saying ..
No, he is not saying that. He is telling you what he feels will be true for anyone. If you have a different opinion, that is fine too and feel free to share. But when I say that a Viscaria is a faster than a Grubba Pro, I don't mean it is true just for myself. A Maze vs HL5 is less clear, but blades are made of wood and are inconsistent in weight, so it can vary for that reason as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hi Giang,

I'm looking for blades on ttnpp right now. I think the "Power.G 5" may be too new to be here (but available in the Chinese merchant link you provided). From ttnpp, I see,

http://ttnpp.com/store/24-dhs?orderby=quantity&orderway=desc

Any recommendations between the DHS "Power.G 13", "Power.G 8", "Power.G 7", or a Fang Bo blade? For Fang Bo I see both "BO B2" and "BO B." If the best recommendation is "Power.G 5" by far, then I can try and make my way through the Chinese site with a colleague.

Thanks!

View attachment 13833

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
The PG-5 and Fang Bo 2 (sometimes called Hurricane Bo 2) are the same basic blade (same composition) as the Hurricane Long 5. The Fang Bo is a pure wood blade; unrelated. There are also the H 301 and N301, both of which are versions of the Long 5, BUT MAY have koto face ply instead of limba (not sure). The PG-7 is a clipper clone, more like the HL3. the others are different.

I have a Fang Bo 2, and it is a very good blade for the money. Have not seen a PG-5, but it is reasonable to expect that finish and consistency may not be the same. My current favourite is the H301, which is similarly priced to the FB2, but has a grey (dye?) face, which may indicate not limba. Again, it is a very new blade, but is available via Aliexpress. The big plus over the FB2 for me is that the handle is slightly fatter. Oh, and I prefer the look.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Welcome to the forum Sandy ! @Der_Echte : Finally got Sandy to join the forum ! :)
Hi Giang,

I'm looking for blades on ttnpp right now. I think the "Power.G 5" may be too new to be here (but available in the Chinese merchant link you provided). From ttnpp, I see,

http://ttnpp.com/store/24-dhs?orderby=quantity&orderway=desc

Any recommendations between the DHS "Power.G 13", "Power.G 8", "Power.G 7", or a Fang Bo blade? For Fang Bo I see both "BO B2" and "BO B." If the best recommendation is "Power.G 5" by far, then I can try and make my way through the Chinese site with a colleague.

Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
We are table tennis nerds, "going with BO2 " , is too short for us :p , it could be even be considered rude in certain elite EJ circles ..... please say , Going with DHS Hurricane Bo 2 as blade , with DHS Hurricane 3 Provincial version 39 degrees on the forehand and Karis M on the backhand ... :) , that might just keep the Goon Squad from issuing a contract on you .... LOL
Going with bo 2, thanks everyone :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
So here is the rubber approx. 60 hours after the 2nd coat ... it did dome a little further before it started flattenning out ... when I checked with my finger pressing on the sponge I didn't see any sticky residue oozing out of the sponge ... still wondering whether to go ahead and start gluing to the blade or let it flatten out further ... from my first experience with boosting if I do rush it there is the risk of the rubber starting to peel off from sides of the blade due to the dome ... so thinking of waiting it out for a few more days ..

IMG_1944.jpgIMG_1941.jpg

So I have started building this for Sandy .. here is the the picture of Hurricane 3 provincial 39 degrees red sponge doming after two layers of Falco Tempo Long....

View attachment 13953

and ... I have received the Karis M's from Nexy USA ... also a big bottle of Hairspray is ready to seal the blade before slapping the rubbers on with rubber cement , it might boost the speed a little too much but it stays like that for 24 hours or so , so it should not matter that much ... stay tuned for more pictures :) .... and feel free to advise ...

Last edited: