Can you "fake" toss a ball as long as the ball don't leave your hand?

says Not for sale, I liked it actually
says Not for sale, I liked it actually
May 2018
Afaik it's allowed but one of my clubmate say it's not allowed. so what's the rule on this? Can do a "pump fake" on serve as long as the ball doesn't leave my hand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Afaik it's allowed but one of my clubmate say it's not allowed. so what's the rule on this? Can do a "pump fake" on serve as long as the ball doesn't leave my hand?
how you going to make sure the ball doesn't leave your hand?
any method to hold the ball down would be illegal

Reactions: TIME
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
There is a written guidance by ITTF Umpires Committee about the given case to make it clear once and for all.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
2.6.1 Service shall start with the ball resting freely on the open palm of the server's
stationary free hand.
2.6.2 The server shall then project the ball near vertically upwards, without
imparting spin, so that it rises at least 16cm after leaving the palm of the free
hand and then falls without touching anything before being struck.
https://documents.ittf.sport/sites/...21-08/2021ITTFHandbook_v2_clean_version_1.pdf

Reactions: Trevize84
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
2.6.1 Service shall start with the ball resting freely on the open palm of the server's
stationary free hand.
2.6.2 The server shall then project the ball near vertically upwards, without
imparting spin, so that it rises at least 16cm after leaving the palm of the free
hand and then falls without touching anything before being struck.
https://documents.ittf.sport/sites/...21-08/2021ITTFHandbook_v2_clean_version_1.pdf
From my memory, the way joo se hyuk serves is grey line and he gets away with it
his palm is always quite high above the table,
and then he will bring it down to table height and then go upwards.
the "bring down" is not part of the rules. rules has it as "only going upwards". That is why I say it is grey line.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
9.5 of definitions in the 2023 ITTF Handbook allow a player to present the ball, hold it STATIONARY, then move to another location behind endline and present/serve.

Key word is stationary. When the Service motion is started... it is started. The accepted interpretation of when a serve begins is based on this.

It would be a serve fault to initiate the service motion and stop it without continuing the serve motion. It is interpreted that the downward movement and stop without serve is deemed to be an attempt at a serve... and of course failure to start a serve and fail to make a proper serve is a point to opponent.

ITTF umpires have a precent of allowing the serve motion to begin with a downward movement, so long as the ball stays above table (but many never call it when pros drop ball a few cm below table)

It may also be possible with what Tony describes as a violation of good sportsmanship if the umpire observes and discerns it to be this.

9.5 Thus if the ball accidentally rolls off the server’s hand before he or she starts to throw it his or her opponent does not score a point, because the ball was not in play. For the same reason a player may place the ball on his or her free hand and hold it stationary but then change his or her mind about the type of service he or she will make and move to another position to do so. Provided he or she has made no attempt to throw the ball, no point is scored