Caronavirus & Tokyo 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is really true that often leaders and experts give information that is not right, or partly right and partly wrong. Sometimes this impacts your health when you have a condition.

Here, with this coronavirus, because the largest issue is actually how it spreads, how people are catching it, the basic instructions about things like social distancing, self isolation and precautions to wash hands, face and sanitize as often as possible, are simple, and may or may not be effective but are probably more effective than not doing any of them. And the evidence from China and South Korea seems to indicate that as soon as people's movements were restricted, the actual number of new case began to slow.

So, regardless of anything else, for each of us, doing our best not to get it, and, if we get it, not to give it to others, would seem a top priority to make it so that the hospitals don't get overloaded all at once. I would say, that is about all I can really glean from everything I have read and heard thus far.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
So, regardless of anything else, for each of us, doing our best not to get it, and, if we get it, not to give it to others, would seem a top priority to make it so that the hospitals don't get overloaded all at once. I would say, that is about all I can really glean from everything I have read and heard thus far.

Brilliantly put

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Herd immunity? I wish all of you in the UK the best of luck.

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/eur...-coronavirus-herd-immunity-plan-deadly-gamble
“The ultimate aim of herd immunity is to stop disease spread and protect the most vulnerable in society,” the British Society of Immunologists said in a statement.

“However, this strategy only works to reduce serious disease if, when building that immunity, vulnerable individuals are protected from becoming ill, for example through social distancing. If not, the consequences could be severe.”

Radio talk show with expert Yuen Kwok Yung last Sunday:
https://www.facebook.com/881903com/videos/vb.8723358875/1491007187720390/?type=2&theater
@36:59
Remember, if we can delay the entire pandemic until summer, there will be several benefits
First, we'll know so much more about the virus
Second, some of our protective equipment will probably have arrived in Hong Kong
Third, when summer comes, we know the virus in that environment
The period it can survive is a lot shorter
So even if you catch it, the amount of virus you get will be lower, and the condition will be milder
Also in the summer, the body immune response...the inflammation is usually less severe
Not the case in winter
That's why most elderly people die in winter
Not just because of the seasonal flu
but also because the response in winter is really different from that of summer
So that's why we try our best to do everything now, including a lot of tests
To keep the pandemic in Hong Kong under control, until summer comes
We'll be better off then
I'm not saying the virus will disappear in summer, no, it'll stick around
But the pandemic usually tapers off in the summer
So only then do we get a natural infection, and get a natural immunity
That'd be better than if it happened during the winter
Our healthcare system will not be paralyzed because of it
So I think our own approach in Hong Kong
Compared to some countries where they take a gamble
To take the risk, continuously, not taking any action...
Within the next 8 weeks, pray that the public will become immune, naturally
This is a big gamble
As it could paralyze the healthcare system
And many elderly people will die within a short period of time

@38:40
This is the approach put forward by British Prime Minister Johnson
Telling people to do home isolation
See how it goes
Or make consultation over the phone
As for testing, that's not feasible for the time being
Alas, this is exactly the measure taken by the UK
In the last week, we found out a few confirmed patients who've been to London
But right now, the government says for those from Europe, 20 countries of the Schengen Area, and even Hokkaido of Japan, South Korea, etc
Forced quarantine upon arrival, whether home isolation or quarantine centers
However, it does not include the UK, and also the US
Your opinion, professor?
I think it’s necessary to respond to the situation. All of them have to go through home isolation
Because they(UK and US) aren't taking any action
You don’t know the actual number either
So when you reach a certain point, a certain time, when more and more imported cases are from the UK and the US, you've got to consider it
But if they don’t do anything, the number of infections will be like what we call a "rocket-style ascent"
Which will happen within the next 4-8 weeks
We can't just sit around and do nothing
There must be some measures to reduce the impact on Hong Kong

@54:27
As we can see, the leaders in Europe and the US don't wear masks
Those who do even get discriminated
For Hong Kong, I've consulted Professor Leung last time, and that we might have to continue until August
What's your opinion?
I believe everyone must understand that there's a cultural difference
Foreigners feel that wearing a mask is a sign that you are ill or the weak
But for us Chinese, that's not the case
We think you're sick, so you wear a mask, or that you wear as a precaution, or that it's the norm for everyone to wear one
So we can't change this cultural difference, and not change it at will
But we also understand that Hong Kong is different from other places
We are the most densely populated place in the world
Our pandemic could spiral out of control
It could spread very rapidly in a short time
And we're in the middle of winter
On top of that, our homes and workplaces are also very cramped
So if we didn't use the masks to increase the social distance
We'd essentially be creating a disaster for ourselves
Therefore, how they read the situation and how they deal with it are totally different from us
We think some folks in foreign countries are pretending to be experts here
Have they gone through SARS, honestly?
No, they haven't
Do they know about coronavirus?
They're in fact clueless
Yet, they tell you you have to listen to them and not others
I remember the bird flu outbreak in '97
The experts from abroad...we thought everything they said had to be right
But in fact, they had never encountered the bird flu
How could they know?
So I think we have to think through it ourselves
What're the circumstances in Hong Kong?
We make the best decision for ourselves based on our circumstances

@56:18
What do you think of this outbreak in Wuhan?
From what you've seen, how has the mainland done so far?
And what can we learn from them?
I think, after the outbreak in the mainland, it's very clear they've contained it very well
They're able to deal with it from the top down, in a focused manner, and it shows that they are successful
So what can Hong Kong learn from them?
The most important thing I think is IT
They make use of IT way better than Hong Kong
We're very backward, so to speak
But Hong Kong must also pay attention to one thing, that is, it must strike a balance between the so-called human rights and privacy
But say, you stay put and go about it the same way you did for SARS 17 years ago
This is a very backward approach, not how it should be done
This time, it seems that even the police MIIDSS(Major Incident Investigation and Disaster Support System, AKA supercomputer), that tracker...that supercomputer...It seems it hasn't even been put to use...I don’t even know why
(- Yes, they've started) They have? My bad
They hadn't yet the morning before...Hopefully they have now
So I think this is one aspect
But at the same time, it indicates that
For mainland, there's a lot of room for improvement in the wildlife market, the hygiene...
If not for these, if these problems were not there to begin with, then it probably wouldn't have led to where we are today

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Aerosol is one of ways coronavirus can get transmitted, yes? So in heavily infested areas, I’d limit my walk outside even no person is close by.

Hmm. I'm not personally going to go that far. But I'm not going to criticize anyone for staying home.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Since I've been mostly saying depressing things, like the fact that it's going to get worse before it gets better, in fact it WILL get better.

I recently read that there has been no new outbreak of SARS-CoV-1 since it emerged in China in the 2000s. It's as if it ran its course and disappeared. Maybe this one will do that too, later.

Of course it would help if they canceled the Olympics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Aerosol is one of ways coronavirus can get transmitted, yes? So in heavily infested areas, I’d limit my walk outside even no person is close by.

it seems that because the virus spreads in droplets, it is considered to be safe to keep a 1,5-2m distance. Maybe I'd keep it way bigger, cause you know the wind can blow, but imho not to go outside if there is nothing outside that's super cautious...

themasterspin-1584382393534.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9v9DG3H0T3/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I feel like I am desperately looking for solution within my grasp. I remember many years ago I spent 5 days on a glass-like surfaced empty ocean with a broken boat desperately waiting for passing-by freight ships to rescue. Finally a Russian ship came by and we all knew it'd bring us back to the country we fled away, but we obediently climbed on with the only hope to be alive.
I put too much hope in this country to a point that I forgot my survival instincts I developed during the years living during the war and with the victorious commies. I'd seen how panicking people behaved at the time our nation collapsed; i.e. hoarding, stealing, robbing, raping, and even killing in front of me. It may not be such cases with this virus so I still have lot of hope. The last thing I want to do is unknowingly pass the virus to others and I hope everyone realizes that, too.

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Tropical, one of my best friends and playing partners has a personal history a bit like yours. Somehow he made it to Malaysia and from there to here. I would NEVER willingly do something that would risk transmitting something like this to him. Also he smokes, so I especially worry about him.

Here is one thing I am doing for myself. Bear in mind there no clinical evidence for this from SARS or Covid-19 (but there is for some other viruses). The RNA replicase enzyme that coronaviruses use to hijack our cells is inhibited by Zn2+. So I am taking a zinc supplement. I am skeptical that I can elevate intracellular zinc very much that way, but for sure I dont want to be deficient. Anything to help my body fight if it turns out I get exposed. I am also supplementing with Vitamin D at 1000 IU per day. Won't hurt, little bits of data here and there that it might help, most of it not very high quality, but again, we dont want to be deficient.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have a question. Not about this coronavirus.

With the common cold, a "remedy" that is often suggested in certain homeopath friendly circles, to help keep the cold away when you feel like you are coming down with something, or to make the cold get better faster when you have one, is Zinc.

Would that actually do anything? Or is that more fairy tales?

If it would do something for a common cold, is it possible it may be useful for COVID-19?

Here is one thing I am doing for myself. Bear in mind there no clinical evidence for this from SARS or Covid-19 (but there is for some other viruses). The RNA replicase enzyme that coronaviruses use to hijack our cells is inhibited by Zn2+. So I am taking a zinc supplement. I am skeptical that I can elevate intracellular zinc very much that way, but for sure I dont want to be deficient. Anything to help my body fight if it turns out I get exposed. I am also supplementing with Vitamin D at 1000 IU per day. Won't hurt, little bits of data here and there that it might help, most of it not very high quality, but again, we dont want to be deficient.

You have just given the answer I was hoping to get when I posted the above post (#259 in this thread).

That is nice to know that it may actually help. I have been taking Zinc for a while.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You have just given the answer I was hoping to get when I posted the above post (#259 in this thread).

That is nice to know that it may actually help. I have been taking Zinc for a while.

Also, Baal, how about Echinacea? Would that do anything useful?

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
This is from a large Cochrane Review. Those are good meta-analyses.

We reviewed 24 controlled clinical trials with 4631 participants investigating the effectiveness of several different Echinacea preparations for preventing and treating common colds or induced rhinovirus infections. Our review shows that a variety of products prepared from different Echinacea species, different plant parts and in a different form have been compared to placebo in randomized trials. Due to the significant differences in the preparations tested, it was difficult to draw strong conclusions. Five trials were rated as having a low risk of bias in all five categories of the Cochrane 'Risk of bias' tool. Five more trials were rated as low risk of bias, having an unclear risk of bias in only one category. Eight trials were rated as having a high risk of bias in at least one category and the remaining six as having an unclear risk of bias.
The majority of trials investigated whether taking Echinacea preparations after the onset of cold symptoms shortens the duration, compared with placebo. Although it seems possible that some Echinacea products are more effective than a placebo for treating colds, the overall evidence for clinically relevant treatment effects is weak. In general, trials investigating Echinacea for preventing colds did not show statistically significant reductions in illness occurrence. However, nearly all prevention trials pointed in the direction of small preventive effects. The number of patients dropping out or reporting adverse effects did not differ significantly between treatment and control groups in prevention and treatment trials. However, in prevention trials there was a trend towards a larger number of patients dropping out due to adverse events in the treatment groups.

So all in all, not encouraging. Rhinoviruses of course are not coronaviruses.

I also found a warning from NIH that some of the stuff sold has been found to be contaminated with arsenic, lead and selenium. Yikes!

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Your Zinc mineralization is good move - zinc does a lot of good maintenance stuff for you and immune system.

Ensuring you have enough Vit D is an even better move I believe. (so would magnesium) Majority of Americans are deficient in D... and D is so important for a lot of stuff of body function and immune system. Low D is bad news for immune system.

The commonly available in just about any store Magnesium I take comes with calcium, zinc, and Vit D... mainly to deal with prevention of cramps. I get depleted of magnesium. I think this product is good maintenance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
it seems that because the virus spreads in droplets, it is considered to be safe to keep a 1,5-2m distance. Maybe I'd keep it way bigger, cause you know the wind can blow, but imho not to go outside if there is nothing outside that's super cautious...

Hmm. I'm not personally going to go that far. But I'm not going to criticize anyone for staying home.

Coronavirus aerosol transmitions were confirmed weeks ago by Chinese medical officials. I’d take extreme care if sharing the same building with central heating/AC with people from suspected countries.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is from a large Cochrane Review. Those are good meta-analyses.

We reviewed 24 controlled clinical trials with 4631 participants investigating the effectiveness of several different Echinacea preparations for preventing and treating common colds or induced rhinovirus infections. Our review shows that a variety of products prepared from different Echinacea species, different plant parts and in a different form have been compared to placebo in randomized trials. Due to the significant differences in the preparations tested, it was difficult to draw strong conclusions. Five trials were rated as having a low risk of bias in all five categories of the Cochrane 'Risk of bias' tool. Five more trials were rated as low risk of bias, having an unclear risk of bias in only one category. Eight trials were rated as having a high risk of bias in at least one category and the remaining six as having an unclear risk of bias.
The majority of trials investigated whether taking Echinacea preparations after the onset of cold symptoms shortens the duration, compared with placebo. Although it seems possible that some Echinacea products are more effective than a placebo for treating colds, the overall evidence for clinically relevant treatment effects is weak. In general, trials investigating Echinacea for preventing colds did not show statistically significant reductions in illness occurrence. However, nearly all prevention trials pointed in the direction of small preventive effects. The number of patients dropping out or reporting adverse effects did not differ significantly between treatment and control groups in prevention and treatment trials. However, in prevention trials there was a trend towards a larger number of patients dropping out due to adverse events in the treatment groups.

So all in all, not encouraging. Rhinoviruses of course are not coronaviruses.

I also found a warning from NIH that some of the stuff sold has been found to be contaminated with arsenic, lead and selenium. Yikes!

Thanks Baal.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Coronavirus aerosol transmitions were confirmed weeks ago by Chinese medical officials. I’d take extreme care if sharing the same building with central heating/AC with people from suspected countries.

All countries are suspected countries now. Certainly the US and Europe. An implication of aerosol transmission is the whole 6 foot distance thing is probably not enough. SARS transmitted as an aerosol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.