Choosing between two setups

This user has no status.
Hi all,

First time poster here.

Just got back into the game this new yeara after nearly a decade off (pre plastic ball). I currently have two setups. Stiga clipper classic and yinhe pro01. Both setups have h3 neo pro FH and xiom vega europe 2.0 BH. I am a penholder.

Ive had my stiga clipper classic forever. Excellent control and more than enough power and speed. When I got back into the game I was intrigued by the viscaria setups everyone uses and opted to try the yinhe pro01 just to try out. Really enjoyed the speed and spin the pro01 produces but the feel and control was not quite there for me...

After a few months of playing with the pro01 I decided to go back to my clipper and unsurprisingly more shots were landing on the table. I could attack harder and have it land, where as with my pro 01 I felt like I had to hold back on my stroke speed if I wanted to get the ball back on the table otherwise I would over shoot and miss the table long.

It goes without saying that whoever gets the ball back on the table more wins the match. And it may seem like it should be an easy decision on which setup to go with. My question is, what to do in a situation like this? Go with the clipper setup and keep control and consistency? Or, go with the pro 01 play with more speed and hope to develop control and consistency over time?

Not looking for other blade/rubber recommendations. Just opinions on whether to go with control or speed.

says Pimples Schmimples
says Pimples Schmimples
Sep 2022
Hi all,

First time poster here.

Just got back into the game this new yeara after nearly a decade off (pre plastic ball). I currently have two setups. Stiga clipper classic and yinhe pro01. Both setups have h3 neo pro FH and xiom vega europe 2.0 BH. I am a penholder.

Ive had my stiga clipper classic forever. Excellent control and more than enough power and speed. When I got back into the game I was intrigued by the viscaria setups everyone uses and opted to try the yinhe pro01 just to try out. Really enjoyed the speed and spin the pro01 produces but the feel and control was not quite there for me...

After a few months of playing with the pro01 I decided to go back to my clipper and unsurprisingly more shots were landing on the table. I could attack harder and have it land, where as with my pro 01 I felt like I had to hold back on my stroke speed if I wanted to get the ball back on the table otherwise I would over shoot and miss the table long.

It goes without saying that whoever gets the ball back on the table more wins the match. And it may seem like it should be an easy decision on which setup to go with. My question is, what to do in a situation like this? Go with the clipper setup and keep control and consistency? Or, go with the pro 01 play with more speed and hope to develop control and consistency over time?

Not looking for other blade/rubber recommendations. Just opinions on whether to go with control or speed.
Good question!
IMO you have to know exactly what is causing your shots to miss, you have to identify the 'WHY'.
It is most likely that your technique is not strong enough to allow you to play shots of the same power through a faster, harder blade. If so then you should use your Stiga to really hone in on perfecting your strokes. It's tough as hell and you have to be regimented, critical and disciplined in your aim to improve every shot with the clipper. This is the step before the faster blades become possible to use where you get the same consistency with added speed.
I say all of the above with decent confidence because there was always a chance that you are good enough but just need a few months of dedicated practice with the Yinhe, but you say you've already given it a few mths and it wasn't working.
So you're trying to make a jump in level. And thats difficult. In my experience it only happens when you train with purpose in every session and use proven drills to improve everything with good training partners.
And eventually your timing, technique, positioning, footwork, anticipation (everything) gets to the point where you can introduce more speed in your hand without a loss in quality or consistency.
I'm interested to also hear other people's take on your question.

Reactions: ttarc
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
My reasoning says keep both in your rotation, but mainly use the one you have the most history with- you can usually land more balls on the table with the equipment you are most familiar with, which yields you a higher success rate and level of consistency

This user has no status.
I appriciate the responses. I am of the mind that control and getting the ball back is the whole point of the game so Ive been leaning towards using the clipper. Its just the pro01 is so nice and crisp.

That being said confirmation bias does wonders in influencing what we end up doing. I will keep on with my clipper until I can develop more control.

Reactions: lodro and Sims
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
My "solution" would be to look at it from a different perspective.
If your goal is long term improvement, stick to the Pro 01.
If your goal is shorter term more "winning" and playing "better", go for the Clipper.

If your goal is a mix between those 2, this would be my suggestion:

When you have some months to focus on improvement and "getting better", specifically things like technique, footwork, etc., I would say train with the Pro 01 for that time.
When the season / tournament time is about to start, I would transition back to the clipper and get used to it again.
The improvements you made on the Pro 01 will transfer to your skills on your clipper with a higher tolerance to mistakes and it will allow you to play with more confidence and you wont have to "hold back", just like you described.
You will play better and will play most shots more effortlessly and wonder why you didnt do that before.

I can say the same thing for myself, I have been training with setups that I would consider above my level of play and that of my opponents.
But I could learn technique, footwork etc. in a more "relentless" way that taught me to correct my form, or else the ball wouldnt land on the table.
Something a more controlled and slower setup wouldnt have done in such an efficient way.
Playing with more "difficult" equipment can teach you things that a more forgiving setup wont.
That means you might now win as many matches in a shorter time frame.

Overall, although not as 1-dimensional, its a matter of short vs long-term investment.
Long Term Improvement at the cost of short term level of play.
Long Term Winning vs Short Term Winning.

Its not that extreme and playing with slower setup doesnt mean that you wont improve ( which im not saying).
Still, the point stands.

Reactions: ttarc
This user has no status.
My "solution" would be to look at it from a different perspective.
If your goal is long term improvement, stick to the Pro 01.
If your goal is shorter term more "winning" and playing "better", go for the Clipper.

If your goal is a mix between those 2, this would be my suggestion:

When you have some months to focus on improvement and "getting better", specifically things like technique, footwork, etc., I would say train with the Pro 01 for that time.
When the season / tournament time is about to start, I would transition back to the clipper and get used to it again.
The improvements you made on the Pro 01 will transfer to your skills on your clipper with a higher tolerance to mistakes and it will allow you to play with more confidence and you wont have to "hold back", just like you described.
You will play better and will play most shots more effortlessly and wonder why you didnt do that before.

I can say the same thing for myself, I have been training with setups that I would consider above my level of play and that of my opponents.
But I could learn technique, footwork etc. in a more "relentless" way that taught me to correct my form, or else the ball wouldnt land on the table.
Something a more controlled and slower setup wouldnt have done in such an efficient way.
Playing with more "difficult" equipment can teach you things that a more forgiving setup wont.
That means you might now win as many matches in a shorter time frame.

Overall, although not as 1-dimensional, its a matter of short vs long-term investment.
Long Term Improvement at the cost of short term level of play.
Long Term Winning vs Short Term Winning.

Its not that extreme and playing with slower setup doesnt mean that you wont improve ( which im not saying).
Still, the point stands.
Interesting point, i think youre absolutely correct that it doesnt have to be one dimensional.

Outside of the long term and short term winning the pro01 is just such a nice and crisp feel to it!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Interesting point, i think youre absolutely correct that it doesnt have to be one dimensional.

Outside of the long term and short term winning the pro01 is just such a nice and crisp feel to it!
Yeah, for me its my Pro 05.
I just love it, although I know that the setup is too fast / hard to use for me at the moment.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
😁
I do know this trap. I got a blade that is ever so crisp, fast as a rocket ( 1600 Hz) and it is the only blade I ever managed to take game of my coach. He never saw it coming .😁
I was going to frame it and hang it on the wall for """later""" but neeee, it is for sale. 😁

Reactions: Loop Lob Smash