Coaching

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Hey, it's me again ^^
I suppose some of you already coached other people. How do you coach your player? I know there are a lot differences between each coach and so I liked to hear how it's here :)
And also if you coached boys and girls, who is easier to coach or who will do or try to do what the coach said? ^^

Personnaly I first coached some of my colleagues (boys), but none of them seem to be interested in what I was saying, they kept playing as before.
I had enough of that and went to the girls team because they searched a coach (like the boys did). And there, they listen to you and try to perform that in the game. The consequence of that was that the girl team managed to win the team event in an international youth cup near Luxembourg.

What I do when I coach is that while visualising the game, I search the weakpoints of the opponent and the weakpoints of my player.
Then, between the sets, I tell them that and also suggest some things. I also try to keep them focused and to not lose track!
If the player is demotivated, I try to consolate her or him and try to bring back the motivation (This works good for girls but rarely for boys).

Now, it's your turn :)

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Girls are easier to coach, they actually listen. Boys think they know everything and just want to hit the ball as hard as they can to win points. I do my final assessment for my ittf level 1 coaching certificate next month and I coach a squad of young junior players where i live. It's always important to focus on tactical advice during the match as opposed to technical changes for relatively decent players, a player should be competent enough to maintain this in training. In a match a coach should give tactical advice it's up to the player to use that and execute it, players should be focused on the game and strategy and adjusting their technique themselves. It is also important to ensure the player is in a good mental state, if a player is in a negative zone it is important not to clutter them with advice, sometimes a player knows what to do to win but their mood is stopping them. A coach is there to support the player so stabilising their focus and mood are the most key things to do.

In terms of younger players coaching needs to have variation and it needs to be fun as opposed to routine. They don't want to turn up to the same thing every session, there are plenty of fun games you can bring in and competitions just to keep things fresh.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Agree with PPP, you should not coach on technique for the majority of players. It makes them think about their technique during the rally, which hardly ever leads to a good shot. The goal of coaching is to get the maximum result with the current technique and skills of the player. So that is mental support and tactical tips.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Read 5 reviews
Coaching totally depends on the player who is being coached.
I always try to focus on the positive's first and then turn to the aspects that need improving and tactics last so they dont forget them (as I always did whenever I was told them first thing)
I feel motivation is always key and is needed throughout the whole match rather than just at the change of ends

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Girls are easier to coach, they actually listen. Boys think they know everything and just want to hit the ball as hard as they can to win points. I do my final assessment for my ittf level 1 coaching certificate next month and I coach a squad of young junior players where i live. It's always important to focus on tactical advice during the match as opposed to technical changes for relatively decent players, a player should be competent enough to maintain this in training. In a match a coach should give tactical advice it's up to the player to use that and execute it, players should be focused on the game and strategy and adjusting their technique themselves. It is also important to ensure the player is in a good mental state, if a player is in a negative zone it is important not to clutter them with advice, sometimes a player knows what to do to win but their mood is stopping them. A coach is there to support the player so stabilising their focus and mood are the most key things to do.

In terms of younger players coaching needs to have variation and it needs to be fun as opposed to routine. They don't want to turn up to the same thing every session, there are plenty of fun games you can bring in and competitions just to keep things fresh.

I completely agree with you!
Wow, you're doing an ittf coaching certificate? How can I do that too? Never heard of that.. I would really like to do it!!

Agree with PPP, you should not coach on technique for the majority of players. It makes them think about their technique during the rally, which hardly ever leads to a good shot. The goal of coaching is to get the maximum result with the current technique and skills of the player. So that is mental support and tactical tips.

Of course, you should try to coach the technique but try to do the best with the player's technique! Then, when they pratice, you can do some exercises that they will need in games or so.

I usually try to appeal to one's self-esteem and own qualities
Especially keeping up the tension is something I repeat nearly every set^^
In some cases tactical coaching is needed, too
Right, that's important for player's mentality if you tell them that they should build their game on their strengths, as far as possible. if both players are nearly at the same level, then tactical coaching is an advantage, espacially if the other one doesn't have one ;)

Coaching totally depends on the player who is being coached.
I always try to focus on the positive's first and then turn to the aspects that need improving and tactics last so they dont forget them (as I always did whenever I was told them first thing)
I feel motivation is always key and is needed throughout the whole match rather than just at the change of ends
Yes, it's the same that I do, I tell them the positive things first and tactical points and then I go to the negative things, but I don't tell much because they would feel bad or something like that! I know a coach that tells his players only the things they did wrong, nothing more. I wouldn't do that...
Also motivation is important, especially if the set got lost or when your player doesn't know how to play against the opponent!

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Contact the national body for table tennis in Luxembourg and ask if there will be any ITTF Level 1 coaching courses organised and if you can get details. If you are unable to get info try neighbouring countries like Germany and see if you can do it there. The bulk of your coaching experience will be your own group coaching signoffs but you will need to do an assessment at the end. I'm not sure if the course is run exactly the same in Europe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I have a few general observations about coaching. No disrespect to anyone on this site, but it seems to me there are too many players, ready to give advice to new comers. I am tired of older players, big fish who stay in little ponds - with too many words of advice after their wins. I bet a fair few of you know what i'm talking about. They readily offer advice to new players, and juniors without being asked. These players have found their level and aspire only to beating their local rivals, which is fine, but to suggest that new comers be more conservative is nonsense.

My second problem is with coaches. I read earlier this year about a european coach taking the best juniors away for a coaching camp. He was was impressed with the intensity of the young players during practice, and their attitude to their sport. When the players returned home to clubs and training, not one of the juniors regular coaches contacted him to ask how the players had performed. This attitude is reflected in my local area. Esteemed coaches, respected men and women loose patience with each other over differences of opinion, and fail to coordinate their efforts to progress table tennis at grass roots level. I feel that coaches should work together, and inspire youngsters without letting egos get in the way.

All players should know that it's easy to get advice about their game, and there are many who will give it. How to take advice and who to listen to is open. What's most important is that players find their own style, and set their own goals that come from internal resources and not other players and coaches.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Question: in the thread, are you talking about the aspect of coaching that involves working with a player to improve his/her skill, hitting with the player, having the player go through a series of drills, work on basic skills etc? Or are you talking about being at a match in a tournament with a player or group of players, and helping the player in between games with strategy and things that will help them deal with the opponent and the outcome of the match? Or are you asking about both?

It sounds like you are asking mostly about game strategy, but in an ideal circumstance it would be about both, right? So perhaps that is what you are talking about.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Yes Carl, you're right.
At the beginning I was just talking about match strategy and so on. And then it came across that you shouldn't (my opinion) talk with your player about different technique during the match. You should try to win with his own technique. New techniques can be learned during practice sessions or so.
The players I coached, I asked them before I did it. Exept when an other coach yelled with a player I know, I went there and talk. (Quite efficient too, because the girl knew me well and can't stand her coach).

The players I coach have similarly my level but are a bit better than me. I can do some drills with them but also play with them, so I think practice with me won't be bad (I hope so ^^)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
I have a few general observations about coaching. No disrespect to anyone on this site, but it seems to me there are too many players, ready to give advice to new comers. I am tired of older players, big fish who stay in little ponds - with too many words of advice after their wins. I bet a fair few of you know what i'm talking about. They readily offer advice to new players, and juniors without being asked. These players have found their level and aspire only to beating their local rivals, which is fine, but to suggest that new comers be more conservative is nonsense.

My second problem is with coaches. I read earlier this year about a european coach taking the best juniors away for a coaching camp. He was was impressed with the intensity of the young players during practice, and their attitude to their sport. When the players returned home to clubs and training, not one of the juniors regular coaches contacted him to ask how the players had performed. This attitude is reflected in my local area. Esteemed coaches, respected men and women loose patience with each other over differences of opinion, and fail to coordinate their efforts to progress table tennis at grass roots level. I feel that coaches should work together, and inspire youngsters without letting egos get in the way.

All players should know that it's easy to get advice about their game, and there are many who will give it. How to take advice and who to listen to is open. What's most important is that players find their own style, and set their own goals that come from internal resources and not other players and coaches.

That's quite my standard.
You word it beautifully.

Whatever my coach / friends say, I have a 'filter' :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
But there is a difference between someone who just wants to tell you what you should do and a real coach who you ask to work with you, right? Like Liu Guoliang is not some goofball who tells the Chinese players what to do without their asking or caring to listen to him. He is part of why the Chinese team is so good. It is great to have a good coach. And a lot of times when we are playing we forget simple technique. So in a match if we are too upright when receiving serve, having someone you respect and trust to remind you is valuable. If we could all see what we were doing wrong and correct it we would all be world champions. :)

However, it is okay to ignore someone who tries to give you advice without your asking. If they are too much of an annoyance, one way to handle it is to let them know you don't want their advice and if they are bothering you while you are hitting with them, you can just stop hitting with them. I would rather do service drills, or any number of other drills where you do not need another person than hit with someone who annoys me.