Common TT injuries

This user has no status.
Depends on your playing style and the level you would like to reach.

For example a long pip blocker (close to table) even at high level will unlikely have any injuries.

In contrast, a FH-oriented power looper even at lower level, can often suffer from knee and back injuries.
The blockers don't get the injuries, the players playing them do!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
@Sticky ,
Do NOT use an OFF+ bat + H3 and become an H3 power pumper player.

You will ruin your shoulder in no time flat and keep tearing it up like newspaper in a public toilet stall where toilet paper ran out.

To get a proper result from that setup, you need very fast bat speed and insane body commitment with biomechanics that leave little for error in deviance... you off just a little in biomechanics with that much torque and force and you guuna become a causality over and over.

Don't worry, I am trained first responder and a tourniquet to the neck stops all bleeding.

• Haha
Reactions: lodro and Sticky
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Wrist, elbow, shoulder and knee.
I've had pretty much all of them (both knees too :().
For me personally the wrist and elbow ones where a result of very incorrect technique (cause they developed while I was working on a specific combination) - fixed the technique and never had the same problems anymore.
Shoulder - in my case it was due to a very sharp movement with the hand going one way and the body movement directed to the other. But this was a very specific game situation and I would say that shoulder injuries are not the most common ones.
Knees - with left knee I had a traumatic event during training and the right one was probably just due over usage (still recovering though :().
After I came to the club just to see the guys, I had a lot of chats (bear in mind - most of the amateurs in the club are 30-40+ y.o. (as am I)) - I would say that every 3rd person has had a knee injury (and very often even an operation on the knee performed). So I would speculate that knee injuries are common in our sport.
A proper warmup and somehow not very broken technique should be the things I would prioritize to avoid such injuries in most cases.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
Wrist, elbow, shoulder and knee.
I've had pretty much all of them (both knees too :().
For me personally the wrist and elbow ones where a result of very incorrect technique (cause they developed while I was working on a specific combination) - fixed the technique and never had the same problems anymore.
Shoulder - in my case it was due to a very sharp movement with the hand going one way and the body movement directed to the other. But this was a very specific game situation and I would say that shoulder injuries are not the most common ones.
Knees - with left knee I had a traumatic event during training and the right one was probably just due over usage (still recovering though :().
After I came to the club just to see the guys, I had a lot of chats (bear in mind - most of the amateurs in the club are 30-40+ y.o. (as am I)) - I would say that every 3rd person has had a knee injury (and very often even an operation on the knee performed). So I would speculate that knee injuries are common in our sport.
A proper warmup and somehow not very broken technique should be the things I would prioritize to avoid such injuries in most cases.

I suspect knee, elbow, and back may be likely injuries again for me as I progress in TT. These I have had in tennis and the back is the worst of them.

This user has no status.
Knees and lower back (waist) and elbow are probably the most common. Elbow is mainly caused by arm only strokes (arm is overused because lower body is not helping enough). Knees is probably due to squatting too much in bad positions and not understanding weight transfer, and or having feet that don't rotate or pronate sufficiently (thus putting huge torques on the knees). Lower back injuries mainly due to incorrect technique to use waist rotation rather than the hips to drive the rotation, or excessive waist bending to one side (for eg like Timo Boll or Michael Maze).

From what I see, a lot of these suboptimal movement patterns are present in some older pro players. Almost all of the newer gen players have adopted much healthier techniques which are also more advanced in general.

Reactions: Sticky
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
When the 1st few generations of ABS balls came out, a very high percentage of my H3 Power Pumper TT friends quickly developed serious muscle and ligament tears in their hitting shoulder.

Why? With the 40mm celluloid ball era, the H3 Power Pumper used a certain full body stroke and impact. it got a certain result on the ball. Over time, these players developed their stroke to get that good result on the ball and pretty much maxed out on what they could do further physically.

When the new ABS ball generations became the ball standard, suddenly these H3 Power Pumper TT friends could not get a decent result on their shot... so THEY SWUNG HARDER AND HARDER. They were already maxed out on what they could do, so trying 120% on all these power swings put too much strain on their young and old soft tissues.

Even now, many years after the introduction of the slower ABS balls, my H3 Power Pumper TT friends are still periodically injured, mostly shoulder, and sometimes knees.

This is not gunna get better until they change how they play... but changing the spots on a leopard is not easy.

Reactions: Sticky
says 40+ age in the 40+ age
says 40+ age in the 40+ age
Jan 2024
O40 here chiming in with a persistent case of oldazzitis.

Symptoms:
Elbow, on the outside right between the bones of the lower arm - seems to be "tennis elbow" from what I can Doctor up on the web.
I seem to be able to manage this by toning down on the very hard, almost out of control smash hits. The pains are getting less and less week by week so I think this going well enough for now. There's a residual pain when lifting something with one hand that's a bit heavier and further away from me but that feels like it's subsiding too.

Then came the second one, which I'm a little more scared of. Essentially after a few harder hits my arm started developing a pain similar to shin splits, but then in the lower arm. I lost grip power in my hand and basically working at the desk after the lunch break play was horrible until the painkillers kicked in.
I actually want to *increase* my play hours, not decrease them due to being injured. Played with penhold this lunch break so as to not aggravate the same muscles again, but I think club training tonight is unwise.

I want to start doing strengthening exercises, but I have no idea where to start. I used to do core exercises back when I ran a lot more, but the static exercises (planks, crunches) feel like they don't do much to support dynamic core movement. I do have a set of (unused...) resistance bands I can employ.
Any good tips on TT specific strength routines?