Create your own blade.

This user has no status.
Ok here are the finished blades from the series .
View attachment 8744View attachment 8745
This is all+ , 85g
boire , mahogany, balsa, mahogany , boire
handle : IROKO
View attachment 8746View attachment 8747
This one is all , 83g
Brown ash , mahogany, balsa , mahogany, brown ash
handle : WENGE
View attachment 8748
And this last one is my new personal blade OFF+, 98g
boire, birch, carbon , balsa , aramid/carbon, birch, koto
handle : wenge..... the writing is not good made but i have to save material ... ;-)
Hello. Which material did you use to make the mold in the first video cutting the blade and where can I buy it?
 
This user has no status.
Hey Bobpuls, how can I paint the handle of the blade?
For example, I would like to do a similar handle to this one shown in the photo (there is no need for the details, only the colour would be fine). How do I paint it? With normal ink?
20230921_132705.jpg
 
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Feb 2015
1,440
931
5,379
Read 6 reviews
Hey Robert!

I was looking through your thread today for information on whether other blade builders use a "climb-cut" on their router (i.e., going clock-wise with the direction of the cutter-head) to get smoother edges on their blades - I found the information I was looking for. I don't know if I ever read this entire thread before and I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your willingness to share your process and share the new things you've implemented over the years. Thanks!
After while and after all i have learned the spiral bit gets the cleanest cut (i found this when i start to build speakers 😁 )
 
Last edited:
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Feb 2015
1,440
931
5,379
Read 6 reviews
Hey Bobpuls, how can I paint the handle of the blade?
For example, I would like to do a similar handle to this one shown in the photo (there is no need for the details, only the colour would be fine). How do I paint it? With normal ink?
View attachment 26746
Sorry man this process i know how to but is expensive.... Better ask nate4s he is doing it really well
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
New Member
Aug 2026
2
8
16
Read through this thread and decided to have a go at making my own blade.

5 layer blade composition is:

1/42 inch Sipo

1/51 inch Basswood

3mm Basswood core

1/51 inch Basswood

1/42 inch Sipo

After lamination, total thickness comes out to 5.6mm

89 grams in weight (with handles attached)

Handles are made from walnut

Blade frequency measures to about 1150

Haven't actually had the opportunity to use it much, but just going by stats, appearance, and feel I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I have some other materials that (plies of Mahogany and Limba, and some 3mm Paulownia and Balsa cores) I will also press and cut into blades, interested to see how those come out and compare to this one. Happy to answer any questions about my build process.
 

Attachments

  • 2_plies_small.jpeg
    2_plies_small.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 3_clamped_small.jpg
    3_clamped_small.jpg
    944.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 4_blank_small.jpg
    4_blank_small.jpg
    976.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 5_paddle cut_small.jpg
    5_paddle cut_small.jpg
    948.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 7_handle_cnc_small.jpg
    7_handle_cnc_small.jpg
    885 KB · Views: 17
  • 8_unglued_small.jpg
    8_unglued_small.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 10_weight_small.jpg
    10_weight_small.jpg
    863.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 11_thickness_small.jpg
    11_thickness_small.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 13_complete_small.jpg
    13_complete_small.jpg
    949.2 KB · Views: 17
Top