Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am willing to give Archo the benefit of the doubt about his serves for now. They are something you can practice alone. And we know Archo likes doing practices alone when he doesn't have anyone around. Does he know how to break things down, well, no. But I am okay with the idea that it is possible his serves are good.

But I would love to see footage of Archo serving. And that is something that is very easy to get footage of.

All that being said, the posts by Der_Echte and NextLevel breaking down how to practice and work on serves are total gems. They are the type of post we could use a SUPER LIKE button for and a once a month TRIPLE LIKE button for. I liked them so much I had this momentary thought of ditching work and family to go and practice my serves.

So start hitting the like button guys.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hey, I never said NL or Echte were wrong. You're absolutely right. You can't just start bashing and expect to get better.

However, I somehow think Jeff already "knows" the technical details. Like I used to "know" some technical details but had absolutely no actual idea on what to do, in a feeling sense. Do you understand what I mean?

Sure, I know what you mean. Now post some video so we can start to believe you know what you mean. Your credibility is in rehab so we gotta know you know what you are talking about if you want to continue to mentor players who as far as we can tell are more advanced than you were when we last saw video of you.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@Boogar : I think you have already made the forum a better place by intelligently starting this thread , a lot of thread hijacking has stopped since this thread keeps appearing at the top , IMPO ( I just made that up :) , In my personal Opinion ) , I think that would a handy acronym to have around here :p

Now what you say is correct, that it should be an entry level criteria to post one's video and then keep posting it ever so often. I am sure you can argue both sides, the bigger questions of privacy and anonymity of internet would get raised. But I think it would be proper to do , especially when somebody is asking for practical advise on a particular skill. I like how NextLevel keeps putting videos for all of us to see, it really helps in understanding and avoiding unnecessary confusion . But again some us are not as organized or resourceful to have a camera around when we should .....

But if not that then the least we can ask for is to use discretion either keep mum when we are not sure we are qualified or at least add an disclaimer on the lines of IMPO :) or "what I can think of but I don't know for sure " ... being a lazy a** myself , atleast IMPO, compared to NL and USDCarl , thats the thumb rule I follow :p :D

I think the forum would be a better place if everyone would post videos of him playing :) Ofc also a lot more fun!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@Boogar : I think you have already made the forum a better place by intelligently starting this thread , a lot of thread hijacking has stopped since this thread keeps appearing at the top , IMPO ( I just made that up :) , In my personal Opinion ) , I think that would a handy acronym to have around here :p

Now what you say is correct, that it should be an entry level criteria to post one's video and then keep posting it ever so often. I am sure you can argue both sides, the bigger questions of privacy and anonymity of internet would get raised. But I think it would be proper to do , especially when somebody is asking for practical advise on a particular skill. I like how NextLevel keeps putting videos for all of us to see, it really helps in understanding and avoiding unnecessary confusion . But again some us are not as organized or resourceful to have a camera around when we should .....

But if not that then the least we can ask for is to use discretion either keep mum when we are not sure we are qualified or at least add an disclaimer on the lines of IMPO :) or "what I can think of but I don't know for sure " ... being a lazy a** myself , atleast IMPO, compared to NL and USDCarl , thats the thumb rule I follow :p :D

Hey, ttmonster, can you do me a favor and repost that footage of you training with that coach that you posted a while ago. My memory is you moved pretty decently and your strokes were nice and relaxed. I want to see it again. :)

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Naah !! That was when I was 20 pounds and 3 years younger :p . I like to keep myself honest, it helps in the overall scheme of things ... on the topic I am not an expert like Der_Echte or NextLevel on short serves , I can serve a descent side under , or side top or even a corkscrew but right now I am not happy with the amount of spin I am getting on my short serves especially with the plastic ball ... may be my expectations are those of the celluloid ball. So what I do when I find my self in my club waiting for my regular opponent to turn up , I just try to serve short underspin , high , low , whatever and try to get the ball to come back to me so that I don't have to walk around the table :p , but I am just not happy with the amount of spin and consistency. Thats where the said posts come in handy, they keep inspiring me to start doing half an hour serve practice everyday , but I am just not able to find the time ... may be I will save sometime by stopping to post BS on the forum and get my lazy a** out there ... but its 11 pm and too late :(
Hey, ttmonster, can you do me a favor and repost that footage of you training with that coach that you posted a while ago. My memory is you moved pretty decently and your strokes were nice and relaxed. I want to see it again. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Naah !! That was when I was 20 pounds and 3 years younger :p . I like to keep myself honest, it helps in the overall scheme of things ... on the topic I am not an expert like Der_Echte or NextLevel on short serves , I can serve a descent side under , or side top or even a corkscrew but right now I am not happy with the amount of spin I am getting on my short serves especially with the plastic ball ... may be my expectations are those of the celluloid ball. So what I do when I find my self in my club waiting for my regular opponent to turn up , I just try to serve short underspin , high , low , whatever and try to get the ball to come back to me so that I don't have to walk around the table :p , but I am just not happy with the amount of spin and consistency. Thats where the said posts come in handy, they keep inspiring me to start doing half an hour serve practice everyday , but I am just not able to find the time ... may be I will save sometime by stopping to post BS on the forum and get my lazy a** out there ... but its 11 pm and too late :(

Now you are making me feel weird. I am not an expert on anything. Just like you, I sometimes find the time to share the lessons that I have received from great coaches so that people who don't have that access or are struggling at an older age don't get frustrated - for personal reasons and tendencies, I have more time to do that than most. In my videos, because I don't edit my serve practice, the misses are on full display. This can comfort someone who thinks that better players never miss in serve practice.

The floor and bed serves when it comes to spin and touch are just as valuable if not more so for building spin and touch than the table serves. Don't underestimate the returns to them.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Even if your physical fitness changed, the fundamentals are there in you. I seem to remember you posting some matches too. You can play and you know what you are trying to do. I am just a clown who likes to talk and knows how to read movement and can see biomechanics. I do have training in that. But I can see way more than I can do.

But still, I want to see that footage again. I just may have to find it myself. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Even if your physical fitness changed, the fundamentals are there in you. I seem to remember you posting some matches too. You can play and you know what you are trying to do. I am just a clown who likes to talk and knows how to read movement and can see biomechanics. I do have training in that. But I can see way more than I can do.

But still, I want to see that footage again. I just may have to find it myself. :)

Yesh I want to see the monster in action ! :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Nextlvl im just watching your match against Leshinsky.
That guy is good wow!

Yes, he is. He has been 2300+ at his peak. He actually beat an ex-Olympian (head coach of that club) in the league at that club. My two wins against him last year are two of the best matches I have ever played by far. Of course, all the losses I have against him I try to erase from my memory banks.

BTW the shoes are old shoes - I just have some I wear or don't wear. I can't respond to comments on youtube without joining google plus, and joining google plus would make certain things happen that I do not want to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
BTW the shoes are old shoes - I just have some I wear or don't wear. I can't respond to comments on google without joining google plus, and joining google plus would make certain things happen that I do not want to happen.

Google plus? I think i just use standard youtube... or maybe not no idea :D

Btw, do you think you can come to Lily Yip's tt club the 9. of july? Would be awesome!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Google plus? I think i just use standard youtube... or maybe not no idea :D

Btw, do you think you can come to Lily Yip's tt club the 9. of july? Would be awesome!

Yes, but every new Youtube channel is tied to a google plus account. I created mine before this policy came into play so Google basically restricts everything you can do with comments or streaming until you accept this tie in. I could and probably should create a new TT account.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I was being honest , really . It is really inspiring to read some of your posts and by "you" I mean the fab trio :) , its not that I don't take everything with a pinch of salt , you saw me the other time saying that I have problems in cocking the wrist all the way for my backhands especially close to the table or the distance I play from. But still I love the constructive criticism and the break down , it makes you think a lot and for adults who are not at the peak of their physical fitness to be able to hit 10,000 hours to perfect the technique , thats the only way left to us. Thinking about technique, trying to correct one bit at a time and and then hoping that it will stick without the requisite amount of repetition that is typically prescribed.

Now you are making me feel weird. I am not an expert on anything. Just like you, I sometimes find the time to share the lessons that I have received from great coaches so that people who don't have that access or are struggling at an older age don't get frustrated - for personal reasons and tendencies, I have more time to do that than most. In my videos, because I don't edit my serve practice, the misses are on full display. This can comfort someone who thinks that better players never miss in serve practice.

The floor and bed serves when it comes to spin and touch are just as valuable if not more so for building spin and touch than the table serves. Don't underestimate the returns to them.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
If you see me in my current form and size you might get scared by the monster :p ... I will PM you ... I am just trying to motivate myself to get a camera and tripod to keep recording stuff like NL does , just that I am not very good a optimizing my time and right now I am running out of time keep up with my other priorities ... the last time I took a video , I figured I need to make good quality ones and learn the process on how to analyze the videos, its especially important to remember what was going through your head when you did something on the table , otherwise recording matches might not be that much of a help to improve unless you can be that meticulous ... IDK .... just what I perceived ...

Nextlvl im just watching your match against Leshinsky.
That guy is good wow!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Major breakthrough today!

I was playing outdoors and didnt think about technique and just played for fun.
I never played this good. My forehand topspin could produce so much more spin than ever before :)) MY trainingspartner could not block my topspins on the table, even if he tried :)
And that is very strange as he is a very good blocker and we play all the time.

Everything is coming along, the inputs from ttedge have helped me greatly! I highly reccomend the platinum membership.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Wonderful improvement JeffM , congratulations !!.... here is an idea to try out. Have a clear visual of the serve in your mind and then actually watch the ball till it makes contact with your rubber and then follow the ball with your eyes. I personally think you can now try to get lower by spreading your legs a little wider and adding a little waist , rotating motion to get read for the third ball ... I will let others comment if that is a good idea from here on ...

Here is my serve practice on day 14! I am still trying to get the feel of it, but I think I am making some progress.
Any advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated :D

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Here is my serve practice on day 14! I am still trying to get the feel of it, but I think I am making some progress.
Any advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated :D

very nice serves Jeff !
I wont comment much as i think your serves are better than mine alrdy :)
As monster said you can now start to work on your stance, wheight transer, hip rotation and recovery.
Meaning: Let your left leg/Hip touch the right side of the table while placing the right leg back.. ah my english isnt good enough to describe it.

Wait here is a picture of USD Carl :) to underline my argument. I hope thats okay for you carl, i took the photo from a video of NL

carl serve.jpg