Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Nexy Level has frequently directly referenced the ball quality and placement as part of one's game, just about every week. Call him One Loop Man quality ball man. I have hinted at those using other words, but have focused more on ability to manufacture spin and the chances to do so... or how to adjust soft impact of ball to get an error or a tentative shot to go attack.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Also NL frequently advocates ability to loop at more than one speed. I only frequenlty advocate making trouble or leading Goon squad on wild, fruitless pursuit, often ending in the bottom of a cesspool.

Consciously, NL is giving you most of the effective advice. I often am the contrarian saying the "Coach's Coaching Book" isn't the only way... yet NL is also of that mind and can also articulate those points well too.

Your testimony stating that one simple to implement and relatively "Safe" tactic paid off for you, made you more efficient, and saved energy, especially when you were running on low power. Sometimes you throw tactics and conscious war gaming out the window and simply fight like Animal relying on instinct and courage, often in the crunch that can work.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
It could be , you are definitely the better judge in first person. I watched through the video for a while and I felt that the rallies were longer than they are with the other ball and also some of the misses seemed like ones where the amount of spin was misjudged to be more than they actually were ... just an impression from the video ..

The spin is likely more than you think it is, I personally have to get used to them. The balls are amazingly durable, almost like celluloid, possibly moreso.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It could be , you are definitely the better judge in first person. I watched through the video for a while and I felt that the rallies were longer than they are with the other ball and also some of the misses seemed like ones where the amount of spin was misjudged to be more than they actually were ... just an impression from the video ..

I am also a little rusty since I don't play as much. Seamless bounces higher which has an effect as well. This ballistic really good and will bring back a lot of table tennis fun.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Lets hope so , I do appreciate the fact that the slower balls have made it easier to play longer rallies , but I do miss the spin , I hope they can bring back the spin , if somebody can make it go faster with spin so be it but slowing it at the cost of spin is just plain stupid because thats what makes our game unique ..
I am also a little rusty since I don't play as much. Seamless bounces higher which has an effect as well. This ballistic really good and will bring back a lot of table tennis fun.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Lets hope so , I do appreciate the fact that the slower balls have made it easier to play longer rallies , but I do miss the spin , I hope they can bring back the spin , if somebody can make it go faster with spin so be it but slowing it at the cost of spin is just plain stupid because thats what makes our game unique ..
The ball spins at least like the Nittaku ball. Maybe this match will restore some of your faith?

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
At least there's his face in the corner and it's mentioned in the description. I hope he has permission.

I woke up today, right now, and the first thing I thought is "How is lateral placement disguised in serves?"

Sometimes when I serve a tricky serve to someone roughly my level or lower, it seems like they don't read the lateral placement well. Like they expect it to not go as wide, or to go cross-court when it goes down the line. I don't know if it's my serve itself, my serving patterns, or what.

Is there some way to hide lateral placement effectively, of course, with the bat still in view? :p

Is it about learning to serve with a seemingly weird racket angle combined with a seemingly weird body angle to produce a ball that doesn't go exactly where you "think" it should go? Is it about how fast you do the movement?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Archo is actually barking up the right tree asking the "Right" question here. EVERYONE should be able to serve and make the placement look different than the "apparent" impact - that is the science and art of serving.

It can be done in a number of ways.

Sometimes it is the smooth/sudden turn of the wrist right before impact. Sometimes it is the GRIP PRESSURE at impact, sometimes it is the CHANGE of GRIP PRESSURE at impact. Sometimes it is the follow through. Sometimes it is making the impact BEFORE bottom. Sometimes it is making the impact SIDEWAYS (when it looks like stroke direction is fopward.

The above paragraph appears to be contradictory, but it isn't. When a player discovers how to impact the ball differently using the same similar fluid loose whip motion, then there are real moments of realization that you can control the world, it is Orwellian in scope.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
As an addendum to Der's paragraph listing variations...I have had some recent good results with adding some deliberate but subtle forearm rotation to back-to-back, otherwise identical serves. I haven't yet figured out exactly how it is impacting the spins, (doesn't always "look" like I expect it to) but the results are very positive in confounding opponents.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thats definitely not a road kill , please note :

1. You made him warm up your forehand and your backhand ...
2. He lost all the points where you got your backhand in , which leads me to believe that your backhand is really 2700
3. You won a point where you made him cross the barrier and retrieve the ball ...

You did well my friend !
Road kill for a 2600+ player.