Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
Sir,

Imagine a circular clock laid on the floor surrounding you. Directly in front of you with you facing your partner/table/net would be 12:00 (or like a compass pointing north, 12:00 would be north), to your left is 9:00 (West), to your right is 3:00 (East)

10:10 or 10:15 would be left foot on the 10 of the clock and :10/:15 would have the right foot on the 2/3 of the clock

HTH

p.s. an aside, in the military they have a saying, 'Watch your 6!' -- IIRC it came from jet fighters in combat where 6:00 is directly behind you and no one has eyes in the back of their head.

yes i can understand that for 10:10 for example, the left foot is on the 10 of the clock, but how about 15 ? its 15mn so the 3 of the clock ??

NL says his foot are parallel so both looking at 10 o'clock ? but thats not how you play FH is it ?

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
yes i can understand that for 10:10 for example, the left foot is on the 10 of the clock, but how about 15 ? its 15mn so the 3 of the clock ??

NL says his foot are parallel so both looking at 10 o'clock ? but thats not how you play FH is it ?

10:10 means left foot on the 10 and right foot on the 2

10:15 means left foot on the 10 and right foot on the 3

As you know, NL has a form of arthritis presenting him challenges in his TT play, hence his positioning/stance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

My feet are on the same line (I don't put one in front of the other) - so both are on the same line, but one is looking at 10 and the other is looking at 2 or more likely 3, hence the time 10:10 or 10:15. But I try not to put one far behind the other.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
He's probably better than you give him credit for. Sounds like a very consistent blocker who can place them low (nets) and deep (edges). I get that it's very frustrating to play folks like that, I struggle with this style a lot myself. But - the fact that you pretty much play him even, implies that he is doing something right and you have a hole in your game, perhaps specific to his style.

P.S. He does play table tennis, assuming his equipment is legal and he follows the rules - just in the style you happen to hate. :)

I know what you say, he might be good in his league, but in my league he wouldnt be any good.
His game is pretty tough for mine to beat, still I do beat him when it matters (mostly, not always).
The problem is his personality, he is a complete A-hole.. if you know what I mean..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
OK then, it gets even better - you get to practice both your TT shots/tactics against the uncomfortable opponent AND work on your mental game! :D

Only half-joking here - it sounds like he's getting under your skin. Pretty sure you'll run into someone similar in competition eventually, so learn to deal with it.

I am trying to do that, just its sometimes pretty bad frustrating..
Mostly - his style is absolutely easy.. I mean - he doesnt move, so he doesnt get tired..
And in the end of the training when he asks me to play, I am half dead (after tons of topspins) and I am mentally tired (after managing to beat most of other players) and I cannot see myself to beat him in that current state of body and mind.
Then it comes: "Are you afraid ..?" .. darn..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Then it comes: "Are you afraid ..?" .. darn..

Although not specifically table tennis, it's related ... one of my martial arts instructors teaches for self-defense: "What you think of me or my mother is none of my business."

Also, there's an American phrase that I'm not sure if it's used in other countries ... "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

The point is you and the rest of your clubmates know him and his character. You know you can beat him (mostly), so you should be able to ignore him. He is 'trolling' you with words and you fall for it 'hook, line and sinker'. He already won! with just words. To you, the contest is not the words but the physical game, but you have already lost the mental game, the most important part. To him, it's the ability to control others ... by trolling them with just words, he gets partners to play against. Your reaction of 'darn' shows this. [EDIT: in social situations, when somenone's honor/courage/etc is questioned/challenged in front of his friends, that person generally is afraid to 'lose face' (look bad in front of his friends) ... so he responds ... sometimes these situations escalate out of control - imagine a bar setting, alcohol consumed, walk by and bump someone or knock drink down accidentally, and it just escalates, starting with words of course ... as you and your clubmates know his character, no one should feel like they 'lost face' / lost respect in front of the rest of the club]

You are not in control of you if you let words get to you. Although the way you describe him, I can understand why most if not all of your clubmates dislike him. But the point of my post is, you let your Ego control you. And if a table tennis clubmate can control you with just words, imagine the 'world outside of table tennis'.

I wrote this ages ago to remind myself ... used it for my forum signature some time ago, perhaps this may help a little?
:

"My Opponent is my Friend.
My Friend is my Teacher.
My Teacher shows me my Weaknesses.
I am only as Strong as my Weakness.
My Ego is my Enemy.
I will not Lose to my Enemy."

However, it's not really about beating him in games, the greater issue that you and your clubmates face is his attitude and how to get the message across that he is an a$$hole...

Like trolls on an internet forum, they are mostly ignored... they get no reaction to their baits and taunts, and eventually grow bored and leave. Perhaps just ignore him. Spread the word around that no one plays him, no one talks to him, totally put him into the 'penalty box' until he learns some manners or just leaves the club on his own accord. You and your clubmates are empowering him and his behavior by engaging him. Avoid/Ignore. Is this possible?

One other way, which is not me nor my personality, is to stoop to his level ... in terms of trash talking and not the edge/net balls. If he beats you, say he's lucky. If you win, trash talk him. See if he likes his own medicine. Again, this is not me, as i would just ignore him.

Good luck!! Truly hope this helps!

p.s. a thought, don't train so long/hard with him ... warm up maybe 5-10 mins and play a match and beat him ... as you said, you trained until you are tired and THEN you start a match.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
wonderful words OSPH , i ... I recently got into a similar situation with somebody in the forum .. so your words certainly don't fall on deaf ears, I will save it in my memory

the other tactic which has worked for me in the past is to keep grinning at this kind of person, whenever he taunts ... an incident ... there was this lady in our club who was fiercely competitive and really wanted to beat me , her boyfriend was a swedish coach and used to also coach one of the top players in US ...but she was more or less around my level ... normally I would beat her ... now one day at the league we reached 9-9 on the 5th game, she took a time out consulted her coach cum boyfriend and came back , I was returning , I looped her serve , she blocked and it caught the side edge on wide forehand , next serve I looped again , this time it was double happiness , it caught the net and the side edge ... while she was cho-ing .. I fell to the ground laughing ... and then she stopped choing and looked at me with surprise , once you send the message out that you don't really put that much importance to winning or losing and its just a game ... it just deescalates the situation .... I told her coach , what special advise did you give that she made that play twice hitting edge .. and he started to laugh .... so we both went home happy ...

sometimes we just put too much importance on winning , if it does not matter to you and you can put the message across , he will not have the reason to taunt you ... play your best , have fun and don't show you care too much about winning or losing even if you do , at least with such characters ...

Although not specifically table tennis, it's related ... one of my martial arts instructors teaches for self-defense: "What you think of me or my mother is none of my business."

Also, there's an American phrase that I'm not sure if it's used in other countries ... "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

The point is you and the rest of your clubmates know him and his character. You know you can beat him (mostly), so you should be able to ignore him. He is 'trolling' you with words and you fall for it 'hook, line and sinker'. He already won! with just words. To you, the contest is not the words but the physical game, but you have already lost the mental game, the most important part. To him, it's the ability to control others ... by trolling them with just words, he gets partners to play against. Your reaction of 'darn' shows this. [EDIT: in social situations, when somenone's honor/courage/etc is questioned/challenged in front of his friends, that person generally is afraid to 'lose face' (look bad in front of his friends) ... so he responds ... sometimes these situations escalate out of control - imagine a bar setting, alcohol consumed, walk by and bump someone or knock drink down accidentally, and it just escalates, starting with words of course ... as you and your clubmates know his character, no one should feel like they 'lost face' / lost respect in front of the rest of the club]

You are not in control of you if you let words get to you. Although the way you describe him, I can understand why most if not all of your clubmates dislike him. But the point of my post is, you let your Ego control you. And if a table tennis clubmate can control you with just words, imagine the 'world outside of table tennis'.

I wrote this ages ago to remind myself ... used it for my forum signature some time ago, perhaps this may help a little?
:

"My Opponent is my Friend.
My Friend is my Teacher.
My Teacher shows me my Weaknesses.
I am only as Strong as my Weakness.
My Ego is my Enemy.
I will not Lose to my Enemy."

However, it's not really about beating him in games, the greater issue that you and your clubmates face is his attitude and how to get the message across that he is an a$$hole...

Like trolls on an internet forum, they are mostly ignored... they get no reaction to their baits and taunts, and eventually grow bored and leave. Perhaps just ignore him. Spread the word around that no one plays him, no one talks to him, totally put him into the 'penalty box' until he learns some manners or just leaves the club on his own accord. You and your clubmates are empowering him and his behavior by engaging him. Avoid/Ignore. Is this possible?

One other way, which is not me nor my personality, is to stoop to his level ... in terms of trash talking and not the edge/net balls. If he beats you, say he's lucky. If you win, trash talk him. See if he likes his own medicine. Again, this is not me, as i would just ignore him.

Good luck!! Truly hope this helps!

p.s. a thought, don't train so long/hard with him ... warm up maybe 5-10 mins and play a match and beat him ... as you said, you trained until you are tired and THEN you start a match.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
wonderful words OSPH , i ... I recently got into a similar situation with somebody in the forum .. so your words certainly don't fall on deaf ears, I will save it in my memory

*BLUSHING* (oh wait, i think i promised Carl i won't *BLUSH* anymore)

Glad to be able to help out! My game/skill level is beginner to mediocre at best, so I am glad I am able to help out in other ways!

the other tactic which has worked for me in the past is to keep grinning at this kind of person, whenever he taunts ...

.. I fell to the ground laughing ... and then she stopped choing and looked at me with surprise , once you send the message out that you don't really put that much importance to winning or losing and its just a game ... it just deescalates the situation .... I told her coach , what special advise did you give that she made that play twice hitting edge .. and he started to laugh .... so we both went home happy ...

WIN-WIN!

People are hungry/raped/kidnapped/mugged/dying/etc all over the world ... we are lucky to be able to pursue hobbies that makes us generally happy ... win or lose a set, recreational or even tournament, who cares? In the grand scheme of things it's insignificant ... the only importance placed on it is between you and your partner. Losing a game is not Life or Death. In pursuit of Self-Perfection and using Table Tennis as our choice/method, no Loss is truly a loss if you learned something from it ... 'i couldn't return his serve', 'i was slow with my footwork', etc. Your partner truly is your Teacher, s/he shows you the holes in your game... of course to lose to a net and/or edge ball ... $hit happens, that is part of Life.

sometimes we just put too much importance on winning ,

... play your best , have fun and don't show you care too much about winning or losing even if you do , at least with such characters ...

TOTAL AGREEMENT!

Again, in the grand scheme of things, table tennis is insignificant, my life is insignificant, etc ... LIFE will go on whether I win or lose, the world doesn't stop cos i lost a game to an a$$hole ... one of the most important things in life, be happy... if losing to an a$$hole gives one so much grief, solution is easy, don't play him ... if his words get to you, easy answer, don't listen to him. the other way is to keep playing him and let him help your game improve both physically and mentally.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
*BLUSHING* (oh wait, i think i promised Carl i won't *BLUSH* anymore)

lololololol on me! Hahahahaha. Didn't I threaten to ban you for this kind of soppy stuff. Hahahaha

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Glad to be able to help out! My game/skill level is beginner to mediocre at best, so I am glad I am able to help out in other ways!

"Official" USATT Rating = 1350
Actual Level = 1850
Modesty Level = 2600
Yoda Sifu Master Level = 2600
Eastern Philosophy Secrets of Life Level = 2600

I think I need 2 games, 9 points and the serve! [emoji2]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Okay guys, I guess I get it :)

I will try to somehow combine your solution..
I will take his manners as a lesson or.. training I should say.
Sometimes I will ignore him, sometimes I will play with him, but it will be my choice, not his.
I can overcome his words, and also I can control my ego. (or I will learn to. I am a fire person, its more difficult for me)
Maybe it is just about this. All this luck that he has against me.
Maybe its just the universe trying to teach me to somehow control my ego, and my own manners..
My teacher told me - there are only 2 kinds of people you meet in life: The teacher, or the mirror...
So this one is both, lol :)
Anyways, thank you and your posts should be some kind of obligatory reading ;)

says what [IMG]
If he keeps getting nets and whatnot constantly, it's because of his style, not just luck. Some styles just get more nets.

Think about it, if someone loops fairly high over the net and lets the ball fall down into the table's area, they need to aim the ball very "low" on the table to hit the net. If someone plays with pips and pushblocks close to the table, trying to keep the ball floaty and low over the net, there's a good chance it's gonna clip the net if they succeed in the whole low over the net part.

I think when you view it more like this, you can deal with it better.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One thing with guys who are just blocking back your loops with pips, you have to vary the spin on your loops. Super heavy, fake heavy dead ball (what Wally Green calls Heavy No Spin), mild, fast with a lot of spin, fast with less spin.

Make them have to read the spin on every ball: every loop different spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
*BLUS...* er, ah, um, ...

OH MY GUOYUEHUA!!

"Official" USATT Rating = 1350
Actual Level = 1850
Modesty Level = 2600
Yoda Sifu Master Level = 2600
Eastern Philosophy Secrets of Life Level = 2600

You are wrong on everything above!!

Back in 1980's it was "USTTA" lol

And not modesty, but truth: my actual level is nowhere near your generous assessment of 1850! I am so inconsistent sadly, on a good day, i play like a 1400!

OK, in all seriousness, I'm deeply humbled, thank you for your kind words Carl!

*salutes and bows deeply*

I think I need 2 games, 9 points and the serve! [emoji2]

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That is too much for many players to do, but it a skill of better amature Off players.

It is true. But then there also is that entertaining element where the pips player keeps mixing the spin: heavy, light, dead. And the looper complains it is luck that he hit one long and the next into the net instead of seeing the skill in varying spin and keeping it disguised. Meanwhile the looper also has not developed the skill to vary the spin his loops.

I don't know if that is happening here. But I have seen that many times before where the looper thinks the opponent is just doing nothing but bumping the ball back and does not fully understand the skill it takes to vary the spin or to block a loop low and in that short, half long, or just barely long range.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Last night - played PH (sorry ttmonster!) and no video

It was pretty warm yesterday in NYC (today even more so ~90F/~30C)

I ate a little less for lunch yesterday and our water machine was busted. I didn't hydrate throughout as much as i usually do. Didn't think anything of it.

Hit with "K" first. There were others waiting for the table and we were forced to play a match. I wanted to just train. I have not won a match vs K. We have close games. He is working on being a steady defender and I am still inconsistent. I'm controlling the point and moving him side to side and either punch/smash a ball for a winner, and then the very next point, I do exactly the same only to miss! It's so comical. Sometimes you just got to laugh at yourself, can't take yourself too seriously. And I have been laughing at myself for almost 2 yrs now!

Jump out to a quick 8-4 lead and lost the game at 12 or 13! Next game losing 10-0, i had the 'i have nothing to lose attitude' and RPB loop a winner. Lost 11-1. LOLOL I kind of feel lethargic throughout the match... lost 3rd at 5 or 6.

Sat down and realized i wasn't hydrated enough as well as feeling a little hungry. Ate a granola bar, drank water, rested.

Hit with "J" next, worked on RPB punch/block. But still not quite feeling 100%. After ~20 mins, took another break.

Was contemplating going home when K came back to the table and asked if I was done. I figured with no one around, despite my condition, I would take the opportunity to train with K for a bit.

He was a former PH for x amount of years, converted to SH ~2 yrs ago due to age. He BH served side-down, i pushed back to his BH, he BH looped. Worked that ~15 mins.

Then my turn, I tried RPB loop. Slowly getting some kind of stroke, not convinced I have it down completely yet. K estimated I made 80% of my RPB loops. Sadly, wasn't thinking that clearly due to earlier dehydration and I didn't video the session :( Alternated and K went back to training his 3rd ball BH loop. Then back to me, I worked on RPB punch. Kind of getting it. Still have loads to work on.

[EDIT: Slowly getting used to Tenergy FX-80 ... only my 7th or 8th time using ... on some of my shots and serves, rubber is so bouncy that the ball misses the other side of the table! However, on some shots, it saved me, miraculously I made shots I wouldn't have made. Very strange for me of the hit/miss ... need to hit with it more. Very challenging and fun!]

K is a good training partner. Former PH, very steady, knows what I'm going through ... he's helping my game so that i can eventually give him a better/consistent challenge. Good guy. Thanked him profusely for his time and tips.

Today, going back, will be sure i am properly hydrated/nourished.

May all the net and edge balls go your way CCers!

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
*BLUS...* er, ah, um, ...

OH MY GUOYUEHUA!!

You are wrong on everything above!!

Back in 1980's it was "USTTA" lol

And not modesty, but truth: my actual level is nowhere near your generous assessment of 1850! I am so inconsistent sadly, on a good day, i play like a 1400!

OK, in all seriousness, I'm deeply humbled, thank you for your kind words Carl!

*salutes and bows deeply*

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Hahahahaha.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I have been deliberating this for a while and you guys can tell me if I should start a new thread ... I have been using Hurricane 8 mid soft for a while ... and I have been always been curious about a boosted H3 Provincial .. do you guys think its worth learning how to boost ... and get a H3 provincial or its okay to carry on using a H8 mid soft ... on a side note I have been thinking of going back to tenergy 05 on my backhand from MX-P ... its just I am not totally happy with how long MX-P is lasting for me ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Cross-posting with the Just curious how many Penholders ... thread
------------------------------------------------------

Happy Friday!

Last night I was at the club for 4 hrs and played about 3 hrs with the last hour just training - 30 mins for me on RPB loop and 30 mins for my partner

A little less than 4 mins edited ... did not include the full session ... as it's a bad angle to begin with as well as 50/50 hits/misses ... and I was only doing serve and 3rd ball RPB loop or 2nd ball RPB loop. Towards the end of this vid, I was a little better and landed more in

Apologies for the bad angle - at least i captured to video something for you all to laugh at. Please LOLOL at my expense!

Have a great weekend TTD CCers!