Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hahahaha. You are right. I won't. Hahahaha.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Now we have to wait for Der_Echte to answer. [emoji2]

Will the real goon squad please stand up.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Der_Echte isn't the answer... He isn't even starting anything... but will be ready to finish it. Goon Squad is too occupied shaking down juice shop owners and keeping the crud away from Carl's Crackhouse no13.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I agree. I have been practicing the underspin serve for about 2 to 3 months now and now starting to develop mid to heavy underspin serves. Now my issue is lifting with my opening backhand loop is much harder now due to my mid to heavy spin being returned to me for the 3rd ball attack. Now something more to work on.

The same motion that produced the serve will lift the ball, you just have to get lower and avoid driving the ball unless you have confidence in your swing violence. That is why I serve lots of no spin - getting low is too much work and at my level, if you don't put the ball past someone, it is more and more likely to come back so you can't go out of position on weak shots unless you don't mind the poor risk-reward.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Watched these 2 videos a few months ago, rewatched it again today

I recalled the mop/broom in arms and that has helped me keep to try to keep a shorter serve motion

--------------------

Beautfully executed!

2:26-2:30
2:37-2:41
2:44-2:48
3:01-3:06

----------------------

never saw this one before:

PingSkills serving Ma Lin backspin serve, albeit as a SH

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Jun Mizutani is another great one to reference.

Here is a loop from a video where he was demonstrating serving. He's a good example of him doing that same ma lin like serve. Check out the his angle the way it's facing up. Helps hit the front of the ball.

His service game is about as good as it gets IMO.
http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=UiEcqpDBiFc&p=n#/59;61

This user has no status.
I agree. I have been practicing the underspin serve for about 2 to 3 months now and now starting to develop mid to heavy underspin serves. Now my issue is lifting with my opening backhand loop is much harder now due to my mid to heavy spin being returned to me for the 3rd ball attack. Now something more to work on.

I think the best serve to make a good 3rd ball attack is a low half long serve, half long means the second bounce should be just at the edge of the table, and low so make any agressive receive difficult. the ball will not come back short and 90% of the receives can be attacked. its not important to put too much spin in those serves. actually its better not to put and little downspin or little topspin is enough to confuse the opponent to make an easier 3rd ball.

unfortunately im not able to execute consistently this serve yet ... especially in matches.

then from time to time putting much more spin on a serve, here and there can get a free point if the opponent is not careful.

@NL

your serves are really good, i wish i could serve that good consistently.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I am trying to visualize what you are saying and its too difficult by reading ... may be you can take a video when you get time ...

i wish i did bring a camera too because it was an interesting session !
regarding what a cross-step, you can see it here

its a strange approach to favour cross-step when receiving, and i don't see many pros or even amateurs doing that in receive !!! but its got some merits ! pros move and react so fast they don't need this "trick" perhaps.

I think the most important tip is about the right knee bending forward and not on the side, try to focus on it, and you will see your weight will more naturally be on your right leg and you keep your balance more easily. its easier to play forward as well, if the knee is pointing to the side, you lose your balance and end up with a more vertical swing. In TT, if you have a good balance, then everything is easy. Good placement is about having the proper balance to execute the shot where the ball is.

if you don't use too much waist then the balance gets better, and naturally you'll have a better swing.

the #1 reason my BH has improved a lot in the last months is that my balance is getting better on this side, even when the ball is going to the left. i used to be on one foot, but now i manage to do the right adjustments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks for the Video and the accompanying explanation Takkyu. I am aware of "cross step" , even though the video definitely reinforces some very important things ... I am still trying to figure out how it will fit into the receiving ... I am sure it does and its just me not able to understand .. guys if any of you understood what Takkyu explained earlier and in this post , please help in elaborating .. DISCLAIMER : I am not trolling Takkyu ... in case anybody has any doubts just wanted to make it crystal clear ...

its a strange approach to favour cross-step when receiving, and i don't see many pros or even amateurs doing that in receive !!! but its got some merits ! pros move and react so fast they don't need this "trick" perhaps.

I think the most important tip is about the right knee bending forward and not on the side, try to focus on it, and you will see your weight will more naturally be on your right leg and you keep your balance more easily. its easier to play forward as well, if the knee is pointing to the side, you lose your balance and end up with a more vertical swing. In TT, if you have a good balance, then everything is easy. Good placement is about having the proper balance to execute the shot where the ball is.

if you don't use too much waist then the balance gets better, and naturally you'll have a better swing.

the #1 reason my BH has improved a lot in the last months is that my balance is getting better on this side, even when the ball is going to the left. i used to be on one foot, but now i manage to do the right adjustments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
13 May/Saturday, fellow TTD member and CCer '42andbackpains' feeding me multiball. Edited fluff out, although the fluff contained some early missed shots or misfeed, it also contain 42&bp constantly reminding me of the looping stroke ... my 'muscle memory' (such a misnomer, muscles have no memory) keeps going for the oldschool 1980's sidespin loop with the long windup stroke ... looking to have a shorter/compacter stroke and loop topspin instead of sidespin ... need to trust the rubber also ... 42&bp's chastisement echo my lessons with Der_Echte and NextLevel from 2 Oct 2016.

Also I see what Carl spotted previously, my left arm sometimes goes a little wonky when looping. During warmup pace, i seem to be able to keep left arm relatively stationary, but during multiball/pressure, my structure/form has been compromised.

For a good laugh, warts and all (i'm on the far side dressed in black):

0:00 - 1:00 - FH warmup
1:00 - 3:48 - First basket FH loop (2nd basket of FH loop not included in this edited)
3:49 - 5:48 - 3rd basket - FH loop 1st ball, FH loop drive 2nd ball - i gassed out and quit in the middle of the 3rd basket as it was unproductive

I am no pro, but I think - you definitelly need to get more into knees, so you would include the hips movement into the topspins more.
Also the topspin - forearm movement shold not really be upwards, but forwards.
What my trainer always told me - topspins upwards were played 20 years ago, dont live in the past ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Guys - there is a guy in our club (probably there can be one of that kind in almost every club) that acts like king of the world..
Doesnt play pingpong (or table tennis), but is good at holding the bat and retrieving the ball back on the table.
He personally doesnt create anything, he only stands behind the table, and he is tall, so he reaches everything.
And THE LUCK!
Well, here is what he said about net quotes: "That should not be considered luck, that is perfectly normal and no need to say sorry, you hit millions of those.." .. and, YES, HE DOES..
Playing him is totally boring, because he just pushes or blocks the ball back, and he can smash it when high.
Also hits a lot of nets that always fells on opponents side, hits a lot of edges and he is sort of hard to beat because of this.
Because noone is really willing to play him, so mostly if there is nothing at stake - you let him win to get rid of him.
And that is why he thinks that he is best in the club!
He is shiny star of ours, when he sometimes loses, its just an accident, he slept bad or the opponent had too much luck..
(too much luck means that he scored half lucky points from what he did, lol )

How to deal with this kind of a person??

I found out I am pretty confident to beat him when I really try. I mean - REALLY try.
Even though its very difficult, as his luck is beating me and making me crazy sometimes.
Imagine to receive 4-7 nets or edges EVERY SET ..
Anyways - since we started to play for money (each of us puts 5 eur under the table and the winner takes it), I have positive bilance with him.
Mostly I win.
But - he never stops talking that he is better than me etc..
And - well - y-day I lost to him, because of the luck was just too high and my motivation not really..

You know what I mean?

This user has no status.
A guy who is better than me wants to play money with me. He says he can give a handicap but I don't want any of it. Because I would find it humiliating to lose give a handicap and anyway I manage to grab sets without any, but very very seldom I win

Instead I would prefer him to give good odds like 10/1 instead of a handicap but then he shuts up and doesn't want it....

So I found out a status quo like this and we don't play for money which is fine for me

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Guys - there is a guy in our club (probably there can be one of that kind in almost every club) that acts like king of the world..
Doesnt play pingpong (or table tennis), but is good at holding the bat and retrieving the ball back on the table.
He personally doesnt create anything, he only stands behind the table, and he is tall, so he reaches everything.
And THE LUCK!
Well, here is what he said about net quotes: "That should not be considered luck, that is perfectly normal and no need to say sorry, you hit millions of those.." .. and, YES, HE DOES..
Playing him is totally boring, because he just pushes or blocks the ball back, and he can smash it when high.
Also hits a lot of nets that always fells on opponents side, hits a lot of edges and he is sort of hard to beat because of this.
Because noone is really willing to play him, so mostly if there is nothing at stake - you let him win to get rid of him.
He is shiny star of ours, when he sometimes loses, its just an accident, he slept bad or the opponent had too much luck..

I found out I am pretty confident to beat him when I really try. I mean - REALLY try.
Even though its very difficult, as his luck is beating me and making me crazy sometimes.
Anyways - since we started to play for money (each of us puts 5 eur under the table and the winner takes it), I have positive bilance with him.
Mostly I win.
And - well - y-day I lost to him, because of the luck was just too high and my motivation not really..

You know what I mean?

I know very well. In last years summer training camp we had a boy behave like this. The coach said everyone to beat him as bad as we can and during matches he paired him with stronger guys to bring down his ego. But unfortunately during training (he used long pips on BH) he played with kids uncomfortable with his pips and they became very annoyed by his arrogance...you know what happens when a young kid looses his calm...he will make a lot of mistakes and the arrogant guy thought that he is strong.

So I would say everyone should give his 101% against that guy and destroy. Probably won't be a perfect solution, but I think he will be more silent or find something else to speak arrogantly about (for example the guy in the summer training found out (after coach saying so) that he needs an inverted rubber on both sides to improve and he spoke about that all the time (or about being good in something else than TT))

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

I personally find it more difficult to play a forehand if my right foot is not pointing to the side. Both my feet are always pointing outwards at about the same angle to each other. But I will try to give my best explanation of what you said the way I understand it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks for the Video and the accompanying explanation Takkyu. I am aware of "cross step" , even though the video definitely reinforces some very important things ... I am still trying to figure out how it will fit into the receiving ... I am sure it does and its just me not able to understand .. guys if any of you understood what Takkyu explained earlier and in this post , please help in elaborating .. DISCLAIMER : I am not trolling Takkyu ... in case anybody has any doubts just wanted to make it crystal clear ...

I can't really understand what Takkyu is saying either, but the one thing that Brett tried to explain when he was here was that if you are a backhand player, you can often struggle with balls that are suddenly played to your wide forehand. That's why he worked a lot on cross step and pivot footwork. In fact, he argued that you can probably make all your footwork to the right to receive a ball small or large cross footwork, or that your two step for third ball can be a cross without crossing the legs. In fact, some good players, when they play their forehands in drills, they are simulating this kind of movement on all their strokes in a very small fashion. I did it for a while and gave up when my knees started killing me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I am no pro, but I think - you definitelly need to get more into knees, so you would include the hips movement into the topspins more.

Thank you Michal_Z ... I've been trying to work on that.

Also the topspin - forearm movement shold not really be upwards, but forwards.

It's ironic, my old stroke is usually forward, but also have a lot of wrist causing sidespin ... i was focusing on going up to emphasize topspin over sidespin looping and working on a controlled topspin ... with that said, however, on the multiballs loop 1st ball and drive 2nd ball ... my brain didn't adapt and fixated on the topspin loop and i didn't go forward to drive the 2nd ball :(

What my trainer always told me - topspins upwards were played 20 years ago, dont live in the past ;)

PSSSST, i will let you in on a secret, please don't tell anyone .... I live in the past, not 20 but 30+ yrs ago! HEH HEH you don't know me so well (yet)

Seriously though, THANK YOU Michal_Z for your comments ... lots to work on LOL

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Today i had a 1:1 lesson not with the usual coach. It is always a bit confusing because they're not teaching the same thing.
In TT like in many other things, there's not just a single answer to every problem. I've had a problem for too long having a high error rate on the 3rd FH attack mainly because of #1 bad foot placement #2 not enough backswing , or so I thought.

Todays coach, a young player, recommends me
- NOT to use too much my waist, use more arm instead. (Don't turn the shoulders as well)
- Don't move the left leg, nor the right one. transfer weight from the RH leg to the LH leg
- To not lose the balance, it is important that the right knee bends forward and not towards the (right) side.

He put a small wooden board standing on the right of my left foot, stuck a ball below my left shoulder, and make me hold with my open left hand a ball while executing the FH.

Here is where it gets a bit more interesting:
arm the FH always the same way wherever the ball is coming, if its coming naturally in the hitzone, no adjustment to make
elif the ball is not very deep, when starting the swing, go to the ball and end up with the LEFT foot forward,
else if the ball is going a bit too much to the right, do a cross step, hit the ball while stepping to the right with the LEFT foot first, the right foot will just be there just to get the balance back.

This is NOT the traditional way i was taught. its maybe the younger style ? the advantage is to favour quick lateral steps either side, with the feet more parallel to the table than with other technique, its also to gain reaction time because the first half of the gesture is the same: take more or less the same backswing wherever the ball is coming on the FH side, and that gives an important extra split second to react as well.

http://www.samsondubina.com/coaching/stance

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
MZ... Maybe dude is a better player than many accept... The attitude... Defeat... Repeated brutal DEFEAT is good medicine for that situation.

That player trouble you or anyone? Then improve and play vs that player every opportunity.

That dude is giving away free trainng opportunities... You run into such players in comps. It's simply a golden opportunity waiting for you.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

says what [IMG]
And THE LUCK!

Mostly I win.

You know what I mean?
If you can keep hustling him, keep hustling him. If he's not as good as you say.

If he is actually good, wins a lot of bets and "doesn't even play", he might just be hustling you fools. :rolleyes:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Play with the heaviest spin possible .. try to make him miss with heavy serves , if that does not work play setup balls, serves that gets the ball to your forehand and/or backhand whichever is more consistent for you and keep playing spinny loops till he misses or gives you a ball you can power to get through him

And THE LUCK!

Mostly I win.

You know what I mean?