Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, looking at it, it is obvious you are joking. So, it is more that part of my brain is shut off and thinking, ignore, ignore, leave him to his own devices.

Any news on when I will see video of that ball bounce thingy?

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says what [IMG]
Crap, I nearly forgot about that.

I'd film it right now, but I have to keep it down in the mornings. Apartment rules.

I've been doing the ball bounce trick Shuki posted, and the one you posted, so it's probably about time I get to it. If I don't forget again and don't fall asleep in the middle of the evening, I'll probably get one up. I want to film some game footage today as well, but we see if there's people to play with.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says what [IMG]
@UpSideDownCarl

Now I can make some noise, so I recorded it.

Bloody shaky right now, but I don't think my best is much better. This is not the absolute first take: my rubber had dust on it, and I figured it wouldn't make a difference, but I cleaned it and filmed again, and it seems to have made a difference. Perhaps it's just placebo.

I also added in some of the ball bounce drill Shuki showed, but only two bounces because I can barely even control the ball right now. I can go up to 3 or 4 with a consistent bounce at my best, but the last will be somewhat sucky.

Filmed in the same session for legitimacy, of course.

says what [IMG]
Today was quite a good day. I was well rested and more relaxed than usual.

I'd been trying to let my arm go more lately, and today I finally succeeded somewhat. I did some of the best shots I've ever done and my killshots were much spinnier and stronger than usual and consistent too. I couldn't do this before.

I played my gym teacher again today, going 2-2 in games. I think he was just polite and let me win in the crucial moment on the 4th game. :rolleyes: He is a 1500 player or so based on what I can understand. He can redirect my killshots for crying out loud. I consider him much better than myself.

He played the short game very well, taking away my opportunities to attack, so I had to be more delicate in how I approach serve and serve return. Most of the time I was stuck playing slow loops on low, slow balls towards my forehand, and after he had driven me wide, he played a hooking backhand into my backhand, or blocked it half-long and wide. If I am to avoid this, I need to increase my shot quality, and play more towards his backhand to close up my angle and force him to move as well.

Sometimes, I gained a genuine upper hand over him and forced a pop up to loop hard or just killed one of his worse blocks down the line into his backhand. I think I could have been much more aggressive with my shots, but I'm not quite ready yet. I will try next time for even more whip and pace.

My backhand close to the table against a good opponent is rubbish. I could barely loop, most of the time blocking or driving. I need to improve it, and also learn to step back a little to play my backhands. My forehand was better than before, and while I feel I could REALLY improve on today, I will accept it as it is.

I could also read the ball better than last time I played him. He has a lot of deception on his shots, and sometimes the end result of his motion doesn't make any sense and I'm slightly rushed to the ball, but it's just part of the process. Today I could "feel" through some of the deception, but I still initially fell for some. The angles he can play are much wider than I think.

I wish I had taken video, but I didn't. I will really beat myself up if I don't manage to get some next time. I can safely say he is an opponent who pushes me and gets more mistakes out of me, but at the same time my overall game is higher quality than usual.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I will announce a competition and rules and prizes at midnight ET USA today. This will give regular posters fair warning and time to prepare for the competition. Only people with more than one post on this thread will be eligible for the competition.

says what [IMG]
I will announce a competition and rules and prizes at midnight ET USA today. This will give regular posters fair warning and time to prepare for the competition. Only people with more than one post on this thread will be eligible for the competition.
Interesting. I won't stand a chance, but I'll take the challenge.

If you have the time, could you give me some pointers on the above video?

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I had three different players play around the net rollers on me today. This is getting embarassing.

Thankfully, playing in the moment had me hallucinating - there were three great shots, but only one was really around the net. I feel so much better now. That's why videotape is valuable.

To be honest though, the best one wasn't even around the net but it was clearly below the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews

I've managed to get more excited about this than actually playing table tennis tonight.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Interesting. I won't stand a chance, but I'll take the challenge.

If you have the time, could you give me some pointers on the above video?

You are on my ignore list so I only read a post if it is in an update link or someone else quotes it. Other posters are more than capable enough of helping you so good luck with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

As the forum is world-wide, i take it this comp is NOT a TT tourney? Imagine the logistics!

And of course the handicaps i get ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
As the forum is world-wide, i take it this comp is NOT a TT tourney? Imagine the logistics!

And of course the handicaps i give ;-)

Thankfully there's the ability to change quotes! Now you give the handicap. It's definitely a TT tourney, skype only, shadow strokes only. I'd also like to see a HORSE, variation, where we'd record ourselves doing some sort of trick, and then it must be answered. If only siva came back for a competition like that though, we'd all be screwed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

And of course the handicaps i get ;-)

Yeah. If I slip up, just be patient with me. I am only a guy doing this for fun (and a little selfish gain) but in the spirit of the giving season.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@UpSideDownCarl

Now I can make some noise, so I recorded it.

I also added in some of the ball bounce drill Shuki showed, but only two bounces because I can barely even control the ball right now.

Good job. So, it could be the rubber. But I think it is the contact. It the contact was the right brush contact and the rubbers were clean and had decent grip, the ball should shoot up higher, a lot higher, than it is on the rebound when the ball is falling. The contact is better than it was. But it is still a little too direct. That is at least what it looks like on my phone.

I will have to see if I can find someone with a tacky Chinese rubber and do the exercise with that to see how it works. I know with my rubber it was going 1-2 feet over my head on the rebound because of the topsheet grabbing the spin.

The throw has no spin, but the way you contact off the throw should create decent spin so that when you contact on the fall, the topsheet should grab the spin and propel the ball back up.

You need to keep practicing both of those. The second one should create even more spin on the first touch.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy