Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
BTW, Big M came to our club yesterday and after practicing counterlooping with a 2500 player, decided to hand me a beat down of 3-0, 3-1, 3-1.

I do have a few excuses - was not wearing my lucky jerseys, still getting used to KJH - but getting beat still annoys me. But the one thing it showed me was that if I played him everyday for a week, I would adjust to him. My biggest problem now is not my strokes, it is my ability to adjust to the ball with movement. I will have to figure out modified footwork that works for me, especially recentering after every shot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
You did not ask me for a handicap and you didn't need one either!

To be fair, I didn't ask you or Der for one YET :)

However, if and when we play again, i won't ask for a handicap, not because i don't Respect your Skill, but because I need a barometer to measure my unretirement progress.

Last time we played, you won easily! But thank you for your kind words about me not needing a handicap from you. I have a rough idea of where i'm at, and if i played my best at my current level, i would not be able to beat you or Der.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Two stories. One is Sunday. The next was yesterday (Monday).

So, Sunday I was finished playing and I had done 3 hours of training with one of my main training partners. At Spin there is a bar. I packed up and went to the bar to see the scores of the football games and say high to the bar crawlers.

There was this guy there from out of town and he was asking anyone with arms and legs if they would hit with him. He asked me and at first I said I had to leave to get something fixed on my iPhone. I did. But then I figured, what the heck. I will hit with him for an hour and then I will go to the Apple Store. The one on 5th Ave and 58th St in NYC is 24 hours.

So, I hit with the guy. I told him I would hit for 30 min. I ended up hitting for an hour. He was a nice guy. It was fun to hit with him. He was an older gent and an enthusiastic learner. Anyway, it was totally fine to hit with him. But it meant I got to the Apple Store at 9:30pm instead of 8:30pm and it meant that I got home at 1:30am instead of 12:30am. That extra hour of sleep I could have had would have made my day, yesterday MUCH less stressful.

Now yesterday I walked by Bryant Park. It was between two jobs and there are a few guys who are always there who are friends and fun. I try to never play there because every time I do, something causes me to regret it.

So I walk up and say hi to the guys I came to see. And this guy goes, "hey, I know you!" It turns out he is this guy who is the boyfriend (maybe manfriend) friend of an old, old friend. I met this guy once and he talked about how he wanted to hit with me. So I'm there and he's there. And he wants to hit. So I figure, how painful can a few minutes of hitting with this guy while he is waiting for my friend which will mean I will get to see her and say high. Horrible waste of time.

He is using a hardbat. He only hits with his BH and holds the racket turned like a lot of rec players who only use their BH. I am hitting to him nicely, he is hitting away from me trying to win the points.

Now against a hardbat--and his hardbat was a century old and slick as ice, so it had a big antispin effect--against a hardbat my FH can simply control the ball and put it back nicely. My backhand, I can spin the ball or rip the ball, but I can't put it back nicely with control. So he starts talking smack and saying "you know my weakness but I know your weakness!" And I am thinking, my friend goes out with an idiot-fool. And I start ripping the ball, using footwork and spin. And it is freakin' outdoors in the wind where you have to chase the ball through a park with people walking around oblivious. And I have to say, the 20-30 min I hit with him was total torture and boy I would like to have that time back. I got no pleasure from making him look like a fool as he chased ball after ball.

So, sometimes, there is a reason not to bother hitting with someone who is a drastically different level than you. And there is more than one way in which it can be a waste of time.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So, sometimes, there is a reason not to bother hitting with someone who is a drastically different level than you. And there is more than one way in which it can be a waste of time.

On Saturday, I went to see a friend at Princeton and while I was there, someone asked to hit with me, and he was one of those players without consistent shots, but with a smash hard enough to put me in trouble. And I was getting frustrated. And even when I tried to go hulk on him, sometimes the ball came back with interest. So after 5 mins of this, I realize that there is nothing left to do but to play a match. He actually surprised me and took me to deuce the first game, until I realized that he knew what to do with heavy spin serves, but the education on no spin was missing.

But you gotta play something like a match. That's the bottom line. Or make it a contest to see who can hit the ball to the same spot more times in a row.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Today I did a backspin service session, attempting to regain the whip mechanics that Brett liked before I took my 6 month break. It is a little frustrating to see that my error rate is so high (probably close to 50%), but at the same time it's encouraging to see that I can on some occcasions make the serve double bounce on the table and then spin back to me on the floor. The first serve and the serve at 2:02 are probably the best of the bunch. Low, fast, and spinny.

My toss is probably a little too high for the agressive swing I'm taking at the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@UpsideDownCarl : To respond to your last two posts , and I am just going to call them, "Is coaching fees too much" , "Wasting time playing people below your level" , did not want to quote too keep it short and readable ....

Coaching Fees :

1. There is an important difference between what you teach and coaching table tennis . Yes , you improve posture , it helps a lot of people improve their quality of life and every little improvement is a gain and a reason for happiness and people are looking inside to feel the improvement , but its not attached to something as external as a "win or loss" or "starting to get more points off better players" or even "USATT rating points" . When you have a commonly accepted metric attached to it, people are going to use it as yardstick , which is sometimes detrimental to the whole process but whether you like it or not, you can't ignore it. And being a professional coach one should not ignore it as well.

2. There are two kinds of people who come for coaching as adults , there are people, mostly elderly who have disposable, lets call it, fortune ,and they are happy to hit an hour with an universally accepted high level coach instead of a practice partner without improving anything in their game. They derive pleasure out of it and its totally fine for both parties as long as it is understood what they are doing.

Then there are adults who go to the coaches with a tangible outcome in mind, and more often than not people like to say I want to improve my technique rather than saying something as straight as I want to win more , but as a coach you should to get it out of people at the onset on what their goals are. Now what do you do when you see the learning curve is not as steep as you expected or the improvement is not as good as it is supposed to be ? It could be something to do with the potential of the player , his or her learn-ability or physical handicaps . But how do you draw the line as to whether its because of that or because of your inability to coach adults because may be you did not learn the game as an adult ? I feel that this introspection is lacking in a lot of such high profile coaches ... and I don't mean to take anything away from them , they are perfectly great coaches who can and will bring up more and more kids but if they don't know how to fix adult issues they should at least try some other approaches and thats where I feel there is a stark lack of professionalism. They just simply keep blocking the ball to the same damn place and you keep making the same mistakes. You tell them I am not able to feel the ball on my backhand and they don't want to switch you to a softer rubber because their sponsors don't have a good soft rubber , you tell them I can't spin the damn plastic ball with this world's best rubber and they would not tell you to try a tacky rubber to improve your touch . It could be a purposeful ignorance or just plain ignorance about whats going on elsewhere but at the end of the day it not fair to the person paying you close to 10 grands a year for coaching .

Time wasted :
If I go to the club to play for 2 hours and I already don't have somebody fixed to play with , I will play with anybody who is there but only for the duration of the time I was plannig to be the there. Anytime you are doing something else than what you planned for its practically wasting time and frustrating at the end of the day or the next day, and it could be even be playing a higher level player, time lost is time lost even if you gained something which you did not want in the first place , isn't it ?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I was going to write about 2 different versions of playing with someone way lower level that were regrettable.....

This is my day. I thought the first post got lost in the vacuum of OuterSpace and now I see this was a repeat. Hahahah.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I was going to write about 2 different versions of playing with someone way lower level that were regrettable. One, the guy was nice and fun to hit with, but after I realized I had other stuff that was important that got delayed and that ultimately got me a few hours less sleep and a stressed and cranky day.

The second was hitting with a friend of a friend and the guy was an idiot. I was hitting nice to him. He was trying to win the points. And, ultimately, to shut him up, I just started ripping the ball past him and it was totally boring. But when someone's an idiot sometimes it is worth showing them. So I spent some time watching him run after the ball.

I would like that time back please.

You wrote about it already! LOL... Carl getting old...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Now I am going to say something about teaching.

Teaching is a problem solving process by which the teacher figures out what information the student does not understand, and then figures out what will get the student from not understanding to understanding the material at hand.

A lot of the times we think about teaching a here is a body of information and now I know the material.

But you can have someone abstractly know the material and not understand what context within which to apply it.

So, particularly for a sport and skill set like what is required in table tennis, having someone who can see things that would be helpful for a person to learn, who can see what skills are not so well learned, and know how to move the person through exercises that will help the person learn those skills, that is very valuable. And it is something that really needs the context of the person and the specific things that person needs to learn.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I think Bruce LEE would lose to the Octopus though

Where is that video of NextLevel playing Zhang Jike? Hahaha.