Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says what [IMG]
It could even be that as you are getting better you are seeing how ML varies his stroke based on the circumstances.
I was thinking it's something like that, but I was watching some old training videos and compared to fresh out of the oven content and I noticed that he chooses to opt for a shorter stroke much more often. Perhaps as a response to the new ball?

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
may be because he is closer to the table ?
I was thinking it's something like that, but I was watching some old training videos and compared to fresh out of the oven content and I noticed that he chooses to opt for a shorter stroke much more often. Perhaps as a response to the new ball?

says what [IMG]
Played a bit today, first time in weeks. Took it easy, mostly demonstrating and drills.

Worked on my friend's backhand. Tried to get him to understand what the whippy backhand motion really is. He's getting it, but it'll take time. He thinks too much, when really it's not so hard, it's just like throwing a frisbee.

Also tried out some better running shoes I had stored away. I played with them nearly exactly a year ago, but I was not on the balls of my feet enough to understand the importance of good shoes then. Now I do. They're much better and I'll use them in the future. How much I'm going to actually be able to play in the next coming months is up to debate: probably not much at all. :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Played a bit today, first time in weeks. Took it easy, mostly demonstrating and drills.

Worked on my friend's backhand. Tried to get him to understand what the whippy backhand motion really is. He's getting it, but it'll take time. He thinks too much, when really it's not so hard, it's just like throwing a frisbee.

Also tried out some better running shoes I had stored away. I played with them nearly exactly a year ago, but I was not on the balls of my feet enough to understand the importance of good shoes then. Now I do. They're much better and I'll use them in the future. How much I'm going to actually be able to play in the next coming months is up to debate: probably not much at all. :(

Running shoes are bad for TT. Cross trainers are better.

says what [IMG]
Running shoes are bad for TT. Cross trainers are better.
Perhaps, but these are some kind of stretchy, a bit unconventional shoes. I'm not sure if they're "running" shoes. They're not indoor shoes for all I know.

It's better than what I had, so I'll keep it. But I will invest in proper shoes later.

Actually, scratch all of that, I was thinking of the wrong thing. I'm pretty sure they're in fact cross training shoes. They don't feel like any of my other running shoes at least, and have the kind of tread that I found when I googled "cross training shoes".

http://imgur.com/a/6JjCu

?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
watched those, really nice matches! I really thought you d take him in the final.

That's what happens when you don't have a club any more - your game goes down because you don't get to play the good players anymore because they don't come to your club. And my health hasn't encouraged me to travel out. I basically coach two hours twice a week these days and that is it.

The main reason I entered that event was that I knew I could beat every player in that event, even the guy in the final and the money was worth it - that guy hadn't entered though when I registered. Compared to the last time I played him, his serves had improved a lot and his ball placement was much smarter on just about every stroke - he kept hitting my middle and he NEVER used to do that. It is good to see that he is figuring out a few things.

But if I get my health and training back, he is toast again. But that is a big if, unfortunately.

This user has no status.

(I didn't see fully the 1st match)

the edge ball recovery !!!!
the first match was very good on your side, I especially liked the match point !!! very nice way to end a match

regarding the 2nd match, I watched much more of it, as it was more entertaining.
of course that guy was much stronger than the first opponent.

I think in the first 3 sets, he was still a bit afraid of you, and your serves, he was not fully committed and returned not very actively with his BH side. You were attacking quite well, your BH opening was strong and you were always able to attack successfully with your FH after that. His attacks are very strong and spinny, he's moving very well, but still he's making some mistakes and giving away some points which enabled you to lead 2-1. He caused you problems looking for your elbow and playing deep.
There was a very nice recovery from you in the 2nd (or 3rd ?) from 4-8

In the 4th set, you seem suddenly tired and lose your rhythm, maybe mentally you were tired as well, he's quickly ahead and its a bit of a disaster. In the 5th he's got the momentum, and he's receiving much better. You're doing 4 times a short underspin serve, but its not short enough, and not enough spin, he's attacking strongly those 4 serves. I think in this last set if you switched to your BH serve just after he made this first FH receive attack it could have changed things quite a bit.

Also in the last set, at 22'30, you try to smash/hit flat a (low) ball, it ends in the net. Its very high risk, you are rushing too much. you have to commit and be very early and low on your feet to be consistent with those. Its much safer to drive/loop these balls. You make this mistake quite a few times in the match.

Else, well it was a 5 set match, you could have beaten him even if he's good, and will probably get even better, he still had some weaknesses such as a relative lack of consistency and sometimes him being a bit too passive without much reason. If in the 4th set you had a better start, maybe he would have been nervous and victory would have been yours

I also thought your long push receive against short receives were excellent throughout the whole match. You had more problems receiving long serves to your FH. Your serves seemed to work well up to the 3rd set where he changed a bit his mindset but you didn't adapt to that. Also, but its not new to you, your BH was very good, your FH was powerful but not as consistent as your BH side because of your legs.

Lastly you had sometimes problems with your (mainly FH) block that i hadn't noticed before. maybe thats why you often wanted to counterloop but thats quite a bit too risky ?

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says what [IMG]
Drilled with my friend today. Apart from yesterday, haven't played in nearly a month, but I still got it.

Worked on his pushes and his loop. He is capable of doing a nice, clean swing but often he has the urge to push into the ball. I'm working on very simple drills to get him used to swinging and not crossing his body. The swings he did nail were actually quite respectable.

We also did some push rallies and serve-push drills. Next week we will do an hour or so of just pushing.

Also, today my loop motion in drills/game-like drills is finally feeling a lot like my shadow and self-hit motion. I think I have managed to change my old form to the new form that I've been drilling for half a year now. I just need to see video to know if I'm full of shit or it is how it feels. I am sure that my swing is at least shorter and snappier than before, because I have worked A LOT on my body timing and hip turn.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
So, I got some recordings from y-day training.. but.. well, I am not really proud..
First I do have me and our no. 3 player, which I beat easily, enjoying the match..
Then I got our no. 1 player against mentioned blocking player (which he lost 2:3)..
Then me against blocker, which I lost 12:10 the deciding game (we played for 5 euros each)..
I threw my racket after a very loooong time.. I was really mad, baaad bad, I know..
And then I have our no. 1 player playing for money another match with this blocking dude, another 5 setter..
So, which matches you want, my dear goon squad?
(still trying to figure out, what goon squad means :D :D :D )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
So, I got some recordings from y-day training.. but.. well, I am not really proud..
First I do have me and our no. 3 player, which I beat easily, enjoying the match..
Then I got our no. 1 player against mentioned blocking player (which he lost 2:3)..
Then me against blocker, which I lost 12:10 the deciding game (we played for 5 euros each)..
I threw my racket after a very loooong time.. I was really mad, baaad bad, I know..
And then I have our no. 1 player playing for money another match with this blocking dude, another 5 setter..
So, which matches you want, my dear goon squad?
(still trying to figure out, what goon squad means :D :D :D )

I want to see this infamous blocker, since he seems to beat all of you guys. :cool: May be I'll learn something.