Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Had a training today. Played a few sets with Viscaria SALC - here some highlights
And Revoldia after that
Nice attacks from both wings! I think a bit more footwork could really take your game to another level, plus make TT a better exercise.

I've been playing a lot the past week, getting a pretty good workout and keeping my core pretty sore. I'm trying to focus on footwork and engaging the core myself. The new FH form with more rotation stresses my back muscles a lot more, in a very good way. I played some matches on Sunday, found that I still can't quite use it consistently in matches yet which is not surprising as I've only been practicing it for a week. The activation sequence went really well though, only took me one match to start using it pretty often. I've been practicing that for 3 weeks now, so much farther along. At first my shots were going long a lot as it just has soooo much power, but later on it was landing and finishing points quickly.

On the BH side I'm really focused on using footwork to find the ball with my abdomen, the area just left of the belly button. Then I'm focused on adding a bit of hip rotation/push with each shot. Secondarily I'm also working on directing the shot with my thumb. I've discovered the utility of these things months ago, but I was focused on more basic things like timing and racket angles back then, so just getting around to working on them now. This stresses my abs, specifically my left abs, quite a bit as it tightens up during the back swing and then explode out during the forward swing.

All this adds up to pretty nice exercise. I've been keeping track of my TT sessions with a fitness band, and according to that I've been burning on average ~1000 calories per session. Given that I've done 7 sessions the last 8 days that's quite a few calories burned!

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
Nice attacks from both wings! I think a bit more footwork could really take your game to another level, plus make TT a better exercise.

I've been playing a lot the past week, getting a pretty good workout and keeping my core pretty sore. I'm trying to focus on footwork and engaging the core myself. The new FH form with more rotation stresses my back muscles a lot more, in a very good way. I played some matches on Sunday, found that I still can't quite use it consistently in matches yet which is not surprising as I've only been practicing it for a week. The activation sequence went really well though, only took me one match to start using it pretty often. I've been practicing that for 3 weeks now, so much farther along. At first my shots were going long a lot as it just has soooo much power, but later on it was landing and finishing points quickly.

On the BH side I'm really focused on using footwork to find the ball with my abdomen, the area just left of the belly button. Then I'm focused on adding a bit of hip rotation/push with each shot. Secondarily I'm also working on directing the shot with my thumb. I've discovered the utility of these things months ago, but I was focused on more basic things like timing and racket angles back then, so just getting around to working on them now. This stresses my abs, specifically my left abs, quite a bit as it tightens up during the back swing and then explode out during the forward swing.

All this adds up to pretty nice exercise. I've been keeping track of my TT sessions with a fitness band, and according to that I've been burning on average ~1000 calories per session. Given that I've done 7 sessions the last 8 days that's quite a few calories burned!
I do a lot of moving exercises like multi ball to different spots, backhand forehand transitions, random drills etc.. thats with a coach. I do multi ball on a robot also, under my coach guidance, with respectable amount of balls per minute. I usually start from about 45-50 balls per minute to warm up, and slowly going up to 110-120 at the end of an exercise. The amount of balls per minute dependent on an exercise also.
You need to move your feet to be able to topspin’s on such speeds.

I had long story of injuries from other competitive sports, some of them are in chronically conditions. So I have pain most of the time in most joints of my body - I just used to that, and trying to treat my body right - warmup, stretching, massage after a tourney. Muscles keep my body from falling apart😌

But I do pretty okaish, considering how damaged my body is. I remember the doctor was saying, after I did an MRI of my spine, shoulders and knees - “wow, and you boy still looking very strong, usually people had such conditions in their over sixties” 😁

Reactions: dingyibvs
says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦

According to my polar heart rate monitor my record was about 3000 calories burned, for about 3,5-4 hour session. That’s funny - it’s grown man amount of calories for a day.

When I do a big volume of high intensity trainings - my injuries became not so friendly to me. So I always try to check it, for the reason of not overdoing it. I like tt also, because I can build my training accordingly to this stuff.

For example: if I did a hard multiball with a lot of movement and intensity today, tomorrow my training would be more light with focusing more on technique and strategy etc.. and after it I will do some strength or serve training and so on.

Im still new to this sport, so there is plenty things to work on

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
According to my polar heart rate monitor my record was about 3000 calories burned, for about 3,5-4 hour session. That’s funny - it’s grown man amount of calories for a day.

When I do a big volume of high intensity trainings - my injuries became not so friendly to me. So I always try to check it, for the reason of not overdoing it. I like tt also, because I can build my training accordingly to this stuff.

For example: if I did a hard multiball with a lot of movement and intensity today, tomorrow my training would be more light with focusing more on technique and strategy etc.. and after it I will do some strength or serve training and so on.

Im still new to this sport, so there is plenty things to work on
Exactly, as I get older I'm pushing myself a bit less in fear of pushing past the limit. Last year while pushing myself to the limit during soccer I broke my leg, and after I recovered I pushed too hard during a squat and herniated a disc. I'm not quite 40 yet, so I'm just beginning to find out that I'm no spring chicken anymore. :LOL:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So you guys saw how domed up my D09c was. I measured it's thickness, it's barely over 3mm sponge + topsheet. How much do the pros boost to get the damn thing over 4mm???o_O
The glue layer is part of the calculation. That said, there is a reason why some pros and even some brands max out at 2.0 or 2.1 in the sponge they buy/sell and it is because it is easy to go over by accident.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
The glue layer is part of the calculation. That said, there is a reason why some pros and even some brands max out at 2.0 or 2.1 in the sponge they buy/sell and it is because it is easy to go over by accident.
Ah right, I'm gonna have to measure it after I remove it from the blade next time then. I don't use that much glue, just 2 moderately thick layers, a lot less than the pros, so probably not gonna be close.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Two sheets of H3N right after the 2nd layer of boost applied. The 37 degree OS came with a bit of reverse dome so the first layer only managed to flatten it out. I wonder if I should apply an extra thin layer to the OS to account for the initial reverse dome?

1000030322.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I tried out the boosted D09c in the club today, and it was an odd experience. In warmups it felt bouncicer, but something I can adjust to. I decided to start a match with it, and initially the short ball was also very controllable, to my surprise. When I attempted the first opening loop, it tanked into the net. That was odd, I was pretty sure it was a solid loop, so I didn't know what was going on. Then I proceed to tank every single loop against backspin into the net the 1st set, about 6 or so. The last one was against a rather high ball, not very spinny, the type I would miss long if anything, and it bounced on the top of the net. It was the closest I got to getting the ball over the net, as most were straight into the bottom half.

Countering felt fine, loops against topspins felt great, it felt like a Tenergy with better short game, in fact. I'm just really puzzled by how it looped backspin. Anyone has any idea on what's happening here? Maybe I just need to give it a bit more time. I remember when I used to rub some oil onto the topsheet to help restore tackiness, the rubber would be completely unplayable the first day or two, and then go back to normal.

EJing is fun, but my main goal today was to be more aggressive on the BH side, so I switched back to my main setup for the rest of the night. I got progressively more comfortable with my BH as the night went on, attacking more often, but what I'd been practicing the past week (core usage, footwork) wasn't really there. It usually takes 2-3 weeks of practice for things to start showing up in games, so I'm not surprised. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks both my new FH form and BH form will begin to show up in games.

The first guy I played I usually beat him with scores of 3-2 or 3-1, but after losing the first set with the boosted rubbers I beat him 3-1 and 3-0 rest of the way. The second match was like 11-4, 11-4, 11-7. I again take a long time to adjust to players, something I hope will come with more match experience. I then played the next match using reverse pendulum sevices only, that turned out to be super helpful as I got progressively more comfortable with receiving his returns and the spin that comes back which curves into my body. The last match I played against a guy I beat 3-1, 3-1, and 3-2 the last session (he's a new guy at the club and I'd only played him one time and it was recent, so I remember the matches). I beat him 3-0 this time, and the difference was the BH. I was at a disadvantage in BH rallies and service receives last time, but this time I was at an advantage.

Overall it was a good night, but the issue with the boosted rubbers make me a bit scared about the new H3's. I tried them out with my clubmates' rackets and I liked them, but I didn't really try to loop backspins. Hopefully it's just an issue with time, and I just need to give it a bit extra time for the top sheet to "settle in".

Reactions: Der_Echte
says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
Exactly, as I get older I'm pushing myself a bit less in fear of pushing past the limit. Last year while pushing myself to the limit during soccer I broke my leg, and after I recovered I pushed too hard during a squat and herniated a disc. I'm not quite 40 yet, so I'm just beginning to find out that I'm no spring chicken anymore. :LOL:
Yeah, not a spring chickens, but an experienced lions we are 💪🏼🤓

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
After a bit more Seamoon, the OS 37 is fairly domed as well.
1000030328.jpg

I mounted the after the booster was dry, and it's got the proper boosted H3 look.
1000030329.jpg

It's getting late here, I really shouldn't be doing any physical activities, but I couldn't resist trying it out. It's indeed the new H3N, barely any tack after initial cleaning. Strangely however, the characteristics are similar. It's still got shockingly low bounce, and excellent spin when I tried out a few balls against the robot. It's probably gonna be more different from the D09c than I initially expected. I'm gonna mount my current D09cs onto my backup blade, the provincial W968. Then I'm gonna mount the boosted D09cs onto my Viscaria. This way I can switch back to the D09c/W968 setup if I want to, and also continue to EJ with the boosted D09cs which I suspect match up better with Viscaria, and continue to explore a permanent switch to the H3N.

BTW, my clubmates told me the H3s would be lighter, it really isn't. I mounted them with an extra layer of glue, 3 instead of 2, and it ended up 1-2 grams heavier than my old one. With the same number of layers of glue it would've been exactly the same.

Reactions: latej
After a bit more Seamoon, the OS 37 is fairly domed as well.
View attachment 29684

I mounted the after the booster was dry, and it's got the proper boosted H3 look.
View attachment 29685

It's getting late here, I really shouldn't be doing any physical activities, but I couldn't resist trying it out. It's indeed the new H3N, barely any tack after initial cleaning. Strangely however, the characteristics are similar. It's still got shockingly low bounce, and excellent spin when I tried out a few balls against the robot. It's probably gonna be more different from the D09c than I initially expected. I'm gonna mount my current D09cs onto my backup blade, the provincial W968. Then I'm gonna mount the boosted D09cs onto my Viscaria. This way I can switch back to the D09c/W968 setup if I want to, and also continue to EJ with the boosted D09cs which I suspect match up better with Viscaria, and continue to explore a permanent switch to the H3N.

BTW, my clubmates told me the H3s would be lighter, it really isn't. I mounted them with an extra layer of glue, 3 instead of 2, and it ended up 1-2 grams heavier than my old one. With the same number of layers of glue it would've been exactly the same.
You know what, I find that boosting decreases the stickiness somewhat, at least for Friendship Bloom power, More boost = less stickiness. But After a few sessions its evens out...

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
My C-1 is starting to show signs of wear, so I'm experimenting with my Rakza Z on my BH. I never realized how much of a difference in arc there is between the two. Maybe the EJ bug is hitting me.

Thinking about proposing doing some group training for a few of my practice partners for match-specific situations. Training on my fundamentals a lot, but my brain goes blank a lot in the practice matches and it's 50/50 on whether I can get my legs going.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
You know what, I find that boosting decreases the stickiness somewhat, at least for Friendship Bloom power, More boost = less stickiness. But After a few sessions its evens out...

Cheers
L-zr
I think you're right, it takes some time for things to settle down. Just this morning when I dabbled my fingers on the rubber it felt tackier than last night. I wonder if the overall play characteristics will change as well. Might do a training session tonight to try it out. I was planning on getting more used to the backup racket as I didn't plan on switching over full time till next week, but if it feels really good maybe I'll change it over tonight?

My C-1 is starting to show signs of wear, so I'm experimenting with my Rakza Z on my BH. I never realized how much of a difference in arc there is between the two. Maybe the EJ bug is hitting me.

Thinking about proposing doing some group training for a few of my practice partners for match-specific situations. Training on my fundamentals a lot, but my brain goes blank a lot in the practice matches and it's 50/50 on whether I can get my legs going.
Yea I struggle to maintain concentration sometimes during practice. I keep having to tell myself to treat every shot like in a match or it's a wasted rep, but I still have trouble maintaining focus and end up just going through the motions all the time. Like you I'm working on my fundamentals, and every shot I do that doesn't at least attempt to execute the right form is one that reinforces the old for, so I get a bit frustrated at that.

Reactions: OvrChkn and Lazer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
I think you're right, it takes some time for things to settle down. Just this morning when I dabbled my fingers on the rubber it felt tackier than last night. I wonder if the overall play characteristics will change as well. Might do a training session tonight to try it out. I was planning on getting more used to the backup racket as I didn't plan on switching over full time till next week, but if it feels really good maybe I'll change it over tonight?

Yea I struggle to maintain concentration sometimes during practice. I keep having to tell myself to treat every shot like in a match or it's a wasted rep, but I still have trouble maintaining focus and end up just going through the motions all the time. Like you I'm working on my fundamentals, and every shot I do that doesn't at least attempt to execute the right form is one that reinforces the old for, so I get a bit frustrated at that.
It definitely is frustrating. That's why I want to change it up a bit. One the days that I don't get coached, my sessions have been doing a warm up, one or two drills, then practice matches. One of the guys helping me said that I should be focused on doing one serve to one spot and drill my anticipation and reactions to that, then build on another. I did it a few times, but I should have kept up the consistency over the past few months.

On a positive note, I've been getting close to taking some of those practice matches vs 1500-level players in my club, so maybe I'm not too far off from a breakthrough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Today I felt quite tired, decided to take a break. Only did a very short ~10 min test of the 3 setups I have, Viscaria + boosted D09c's, Provincial W968 + regular D09c's, and National W968 + boosted H3's. I already took a shower, so didn't do any forehands to avoid sweating too much.

Not much can be said about the Viscaria setup, it's just an absolute beast. So fast, and the D09c gives great dwell too giving me a ton of feeling of safety. The Provincial W968 setup is...familiar, as I've been using National W968 + D09c's for over a year now.

The main show was the National W968 + boosted H3's, specifically I was testing out the BH side so the H3N OS 37 degrees. My initial feel yesterday was that the sponge felt very unbouncy, untacky, and overall not that different from an unboosted H3N. Today that was entirely different. It was much tackier, a non-stick rubber cover sticks to it easily, something my D09c's can't do. Paradoxically, it was also bouncier. Both the feeling and the bounce were far more than an unboosted H3N. The feeling of the rubber brushing against the ball was extremely pronounced and I could rally against the return board so consistently unlike ever before. I can also feel the lower trajectory against the robot, as it gives a very consistent ball so I'm hyper familiar with how the 968+D09c setup does against it.

The most difficult part was with services. It felt rather different from the D09c setups. On services where I brush the ball very finely, the ball tends to go a bit shorter, resulting in quite a few services into the net. I haven't tested out the FH side with the 40 degree BS yet but I've tried it out on my clubmates' identical setups, and it felt like a dream, so I have no doubt that it'll also feel great.

I'm gonna let this setup sit for a couple more days before I start using it full time. I suppose yesterday when I tried it out just 8 hours after starting the boost process was way too soon. I'll work on BH aggression and applying my body usage and footwork in terms of finding the ball with my left abs tomorrow, and that can be done with my old setup.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
View attachment 29551

View attachment 29552
  • Gozo your blade is too fast!
  • Gozo your rubber is too fast! OK, Flextra here I come.
  • Gozo your stroke has no spin, it is mainly flat-hitting!
  • Gozo now make spin!
  • Gozo no more HULK SMASH.
  • Spin first then HULK SMASH!
  • FH Spin = checked.
  • BH Spin = checked.

View attachment 29553
But sometimes I get countered by a good block. It is all part of the game. Cest'la vie!

p/s: Flextra is not slow at all. It is pretty fast and can make the resulting ball be rather spinny when properly topspin'ed.

These are just one off clips. But in match videos you posted recently in the Video Safe Thread, even in the match you struggled, you have gotten a lot better. Your BH looks a lot better as well. You are getting spin, getting ready sooner, and able to open from either wing much more effectively.

Progress in TT is slow and hard work. People underestimate how much it takes to improve. You have improved quite a bit.

• Love
Reactions: Gozo Aruna
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
These are just one off clips. But in match videos you posted recently in the Video Safe Thread, even in the match you struggled, you have gotten a lot better. Your BH looks a lot better as well. You are getting spin, getting ready sooner, and able to open from either wing much more effectively.

Progress in TT is slow and hard work. People underestimate how much it takes to improve. You have improved quite a bit.
I started as a complete noob and my progress is slow but steady. l do not have extra-ordinary talent, it is down to a simple word: Passion & a lil'bit of EJ'ing.

Many I know gave up along the way, some joined the dark side as a means of a short-cut but they will hit a ceiling very early, this I know.

@ Carl,

In this clip, there is this veteran player who keeps pinning me at my BH, my coach and I have been doing pivoting drills to get rid of these pesky BH pinning strategies.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl