Dhs ABS balls

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
I wanted to know what 'ABS' stands for. Also how are the dhs ABS balls compared to nittaku premium?

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
ABS stands for Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene

D40+ balls are very similar to the Nittaku Premium but are slightly heavier and it appears that they use a slightly different method to seal the two ball halves together. D40+ balls and Nittaku Premium play closer to celluloid than other plastic balls, and are more like each other than they are to any other plastic ball. The D40+ ball is extremely round and almost impossible to break and is also substantially less expensive than Nittaku.

(One other pro tip, if you use the search function can find you several threads about this here).

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Here is Nittaku's patent application for ABS balls. By the way, the ABS material comes in several grades, but is typically quite hard. The hardness seems to make some people think the balls are heavy, they certainly feel that way, but actually the Nittaku Premium balls are the lightest 40+ balls sold today.

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2014175132

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I'm pretty sure when someone says abs, they mean abdominals. As in the muscle.

So clearly it's DHS Abdominals. The core muscles of the balls must be strong.

#TheMoreYouKnow

Actually I'm pretty sure it stands for Anti-lock Braking System. DHS Anti-lock Braking System - we'll brake your game without actually locking it.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Actually it stands for Asset Backed Security. Which means that if you lose a match played with these balls, DHS and ITTF seize all your assets.

Just to add a little interest and motivation in the match.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
cache.php

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
ABS stands for Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene

D40+ balls are very similar to the Nittaku Premium but are slightly heavier and it appears that they use a slightly different method to seal the two ball halves together. D40+ balls and Nittaku Premium play closer to celluloid than other plastic balls, and are more like each other than they are to any other plastic ball. The D40+ ball is extremely round and almost impossible to break and is also substantially less expensive than Nittaku.

(One other pro tip, if you use the search function can find you several threads about this here).

I wouldn't agree DHS D40+ is that similar to Nittaku. I tried all types of balls, in terms of ball perception at play, I have more faith in seamless ball, Nittaku, Butterfly G, then DHS D, (better --- less good sequence)
DHS new ball is cheap, but we will see whether quality will be satisfying and if they could make sure the availability around the world.
ABS is quite broad range of plastic, not a specific material name.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I wouldn't agree DHS D40+ is that similar to Nittaku.

You are about the only person I have read who thinks that D40+ is not similar to Nittaku. I can tell the difference but I kind of had to train myself to do it by alternating rallies with one ball or the other. Transition from one to the other is very very easy for me.

As for ABS, it is not a single material, as compositions can vary depending on how much the polymer is cross-linked. Different ABS compositions can have different hardness and specific weight (which I alluded to in my comment above), in general all ABS plastics are quite hard. But clearly it can be distinguished from cellulose acetate in pretty much all of its mechanical and chemical properties. By analogy, celluloid was not a single material either.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I wouldn't agree DHS D40+ is that similar to Nittaku. I tried all types of balls, in terms of ball perception at play, I have more faith in seamless ball, Nittaku, Butterfly G, then DHS D, (better --- less good sequence)
DHS new ball is cheap, but we will see whether quality will be satisfying and if they could make sure the availability around the world.

从我的 i-Phone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

I have tried all balls including the V40+ from Dfish. I couldn't disagree with you more, there is more similarity between the seamed ABS balls than between seamed ABS balls and other plastic balls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Our club plays with Gambler 40+ 3 star balls. They're seamless and I think a good quality ball. We rarely have breaks. If anything, 95% of our ball breaks happen because a player unknowingly steps on them. They go for about a dollar a ball which isn't bad.

I ordered from ttnpp some of these new DHS balls and I'm curious to hit with them & get players from club's thoughts.

Will report what I find.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
By the way, I suspect the ABS formulation in D40+ is not identical to NP40+ because of the markedly improved durability of D40+. (It is not that the Nittaku has bad durability, it is more or less ok, but the D40+ is freaking indestructible). There is also a slight but noticeable difference in sound. The D40+ is a little higher pitch on bouncing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
You are about the only person I have read who thinks that D40+ is not similar to Nittaku. I can tell the difference but I kind of had to train myself to do it by alternating rallies with one ball or the other. Transition from one to the other is very very easy for me.

As for ABS, it is not a single material, as compositions can vary depending on how much the polymer is cross-linked. Different ABS compositions can have different hardness and specific weight (which I alluded to in my comment above), in general all ABS plastics are quite hard. But clearly it can be distinguished from cellulose acetate in pretty much all of its mechanical and chemical properties. By analogy, celluloid was not a single material either.

Ball manufacturers are reluctant to disclose what exact material their balls are made of. Different brands try to sell their balls by claiming one certain material is superior to others, such as ABS even though ABS is purely one of the most basic plastic material in all, and even though some are not ABS but still claim it's ABS.

It's a good thing to see DHS could offer us much better quality. But I am also worried if quality stays same good when they put into mass production. Like other posts, will they decrease quality after the election? Will they raise price after wins consumers' heart back?

We will see what happens. Seen worse before, I guess I could bear any bad news.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I have tried all balls including the V40+ from Dfish. I couldn't disagree with you more, there is more similarity between the seamed ABS balls than between seamed ABS balls and other plastic balls.

Sounds like people are referring to NITTAKU balls as a standard good ball. Well, got to admit it's good, just bad availability.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
These dhs balls I ordered from ttnpp have so far not very durable. Xushaofa could outlive it atleast 5 times.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
This last statement is contradicted by every other report from many people who have used d40+. You must have ordered the wrong dhs balls.