DHS H301 vs. Butterfly Viscaria

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Looks like USDCarl stepped in it this time. He must be off his meds or somthin'. I bet the goon squad is chasing him down after he didn't come out to Queens to run the chicken and beers hustle at Robert Chen's club. But as far as I can tell the Viscarnia and the 301 are overrated and you might as well play with a frying pan or a Sweden Extra.

Even the friggin GOON SQUAD could defeat half of the field with a Yinhe 896... WTF, Over.

Reactions: JST and ttmonster
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
If I didn't know for sure that Der_Echte has lost his mind, I'd think he's lost his mind

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If I didn't know for sure that Der_Echte has lost his mind, I'd think he's lost his mind

Just my marbles... and that was 45 years ago when I was a kid.

I was naive and wanted to win, but I was way outmatched, so thus I lost my marbles playing against the best. I had to chalk it up as a learning experience to make me better for the future.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I never played with Viscaria but i have a feeling i wouldn't like it very much. However, after playing with the DHS301 i have found that i don't like it at all. It is very low throw for my game, and very slow on the lower gears. I paired it with several rubbers but the outcome was always the same. I guess i prefer all wood blades and composites are not for me.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If I didn't know for sure that Lightzy was someone who wants to present himself as knowing what he is talking about when he doesn't seem to, I would still think he was a very strange version of boring. But anyone who says that, to loop with a lot of spin you have to keep your grip tight through the stroke....well.... it would probably be quite fun to watch footage of that.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
If I didn't know for sure that Lightzy was someone who wants to present himself as knowing what he is talking about when he doesn't seem to, I would still think he was a very strange version of boring. But anyone who says that, to loop with a lot of spin you have to keep your grip tight through the stroke....well.... it would probably be quite fun to watch footage of that.

Der_Echte can take the joke, understanding there's no enmity involved. You just introduced enmity and lowered the tone.

Anyway if you want to see how it's done PM me next time you're in the netherlands.
The purpose of a firm grip is to force the ball into the rubber, as is explained by, I dunno, Ma Long etc, as the reason for a firm grip on hitting and using his thumb for extra firmness on the backhand and so on.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl is a little busy eating his breakfast to reply right now... we gunna arm wrestle to see who pays the bill.

Getting the ball into the tipsheet is a proposition. It requires energy from ball or your stroke. D
Nothing related to being over firm.

Getting ball to stay a little longer is another discussion we have often, also recently. It is a matter of deceleration and then acelleration... the whip.

The sponge and firming up right at impact add rebound. Firming up at impact give max force transfer and rebound.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Relaxed grip through the stroke and firming the grip pressure on impact sounds good. That will give you maximum speed and spin (power). Keeping your grip tight all the way through the stroke would significantly hinder the whip action and the acceleration of the racket during the rest of the stroke.

As far as trolling: a troll calling someone a troll is entertaining. But did I troll you? Yeah! And who is it that cannot take a joke? How do you spell Viscarnia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Alright, first of all, I apologize, sometimes I get a bit of a temper. It was certainly uncalled for, for you to speak to me as you did, and it was likewise uncalled for, for me to raise old issues and speak to you as I did.

Now regarding the whip action, there's no problem holding tight with your fingers while whipping through with your wrist. Try it.
That's the meaning of firming up on contact. You can't firm up 'on contact' because contact is a split second. You firm up before contact.
Now try it without holding tight with your fingers and you'll find the edge alignment of the blade cannot be properly maintained 'true', which is why it's difficult for amateurs to add wrist action properly. You have to work with them to get the blade to describe a smooth arc instead of flailing.

But as this doesn't have to do anything with viscarias and h301s I'm not sure why it's an issue, except as a way of trying to present me as someone who doesn't know stuff when what I say is all true :)

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Why is it related to Viscarnia?

We had a little time on our hands before causing trouble in NYC.

PERSONALLY, with the right rubbers I could play a more powerful same level version of me using Viscaria, but dynamic or linear rubber on a faster wood blade are for me.
374dc79b57baccc07eb6f382df76a077.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. Tightening index finger and thumb against blade face just before contact sounds right. But if it was all the way through the stroke it would make the stroke kind of stiff.

I suspect something similar happens when you want a certain effect with piano. I don’t know because I don’t play. But I suspect you are relaxed when you are pressing and just before contact you might firm to add power when you want more power to the start of the note. Like when you want a fortissimo note or chord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
So the california chapter had to send their Chief Troublemaker to wake up the New York division chief ! ... works for me :)
Yep. Tightening index finger and thumb against blade face just before contact sounds right. But if it was all the way through the stroke it would make the stroke kind of stiff.

I suspect something similar happens when you want a certain effect with piano. I don’t know because I don’t play. But I suspect you are relaxed when you are pressing and just before contact you might firm to add power when you want more power to the start of the note. Like when you want a fortissimo note or chord.

Sent from my using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews

It's a personal style thing. Depends on the grip. I tighten my 4rd finger and pinky finger most of all during a topspin stroke. It doesn't interfere with the wrist at all. But some players use the thumb more or the index finger. Also depends on the stroke I guess. over-the-table backspin is a lot about the thumb for me, etc.

And yes, in piano correct technique is to let the weight of the hand/arm play the note for you, with your fingers tightening only so that the finger that tightens will be the one the weight falls on. Like in most professions, good technique is always about minimizing movement and effort :)

SO ABOUT THOSE VISCARIAS AND H301S ! :p

Last edited: