difference between FL and ST handle?

This user has no status.
I have played so far with 6 blades and I always chose a flared handle, but for no special reason. I tried to play briefly with a few blades that have a straight handle, but never with the same one I played myself, so I couldn’t compare directly.
Globally, is there any difference between flared and straight handle in the features they provide, or does it comes down more to the feeling of the individual, which fits better in his hand?

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
I've played mainly with FL and a few times with ST.. For some reason I could never get on with ST - just me I think. My current blades both have AN handles after I by chance picked up someone else's AN and it felt really nice in my hand. It's all purely personal preference IMHO.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have played so far with 6 blades and I always chose a flared handle, but for no special reason. I tried to play briefly with a few blades that have a straight handle, but never with the same one I played myself, so I couldn’t compare directly.Globally, is there any difference between flared and straight handle in the features they provide, or does it comes down more to the feeling of the individual, which fits better in his hand?

It makes no difference if the setups were different than your setup. The issue is how the handle feels. You should be able to tell if a handle feels good or not good to you regardless of whether you like the playing characteristics of the blade and/or rubbers. I have heard lots of silly things. But, not sure any of them are real. Like, before this thread, I have frequently heard that A FLARED handle allows you to use your wrist more freely. But in this thread Stuart Maquis wrote that he feels the opposite to be the case. However, the idea that one kind of handle would give you more free wrist movement seems kind of silly to me.

I have also heard that Straight makes your FH more powerful, Flared makes your BH more powerful. This seems as silly as the previous idea.

Twiddling: it makes sense to me that it is easier to twiddle with a straight handle. But aside from that, the rest is just personal choice: at least from my experience. So, even with a setup you don't like, you should be able to feel if the way the handle sits in your hand feels good to you.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Note that flared handles come in various sizes.
Really large = Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition.
"Flat" = Xiom Offensive S.
So make sure you try out a racket before you buy it to see whether it fits into your hand. Also if the FL handle is too thick/wide you can sand it down. If it is too small you can add grip tape.

Reactions: 7sagittarius7
This user has no status.

It makes no difference if the setups were different than your setup. The issue is how the handle feels. You should be able to tell if a handle feels good or not good to you regardless of whether you like the playing characteristics of the blade and/or rubbers. I have heard lots of silly things. But, not sure any of them are real. Like, before this thread, I have frequently heard that A FLARED handle allows you to use your wrist more freely. But in this thread Stuart Maquis he feels the opposite to be the case. However, the idea that one kind of handle would give you more free wrist movement seems kind of silly to me.

I have also heard that Straight makes your FH more powerful, Flared makes your BH more powerful. This seems as silly as the previous idea.

Twiddling, it makes sense to me that it is easier to twiddle with a straight handle. But aside from that, the rest is just personal choice. So, even with a setup you don't like, you should be able to feel if the way the handle sits in your hand feels good to you.

I also read somewhere that with a ST handle you can give more spin with FH and that the transition FH-BH is easier. So I wondered if that was true. And that maybe all this time I'm playing with the wrong handle :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I also read somewhere that with a ST handle you can give more spin with FH and that the transition FH-BH is easier. So I wondered if that was true. And that maybe all this time I'm playing with the wrong handle :)

Why would it be easier to transition FH to BH or BH to FH with one handle or another? Why would you be able to get more spin on FH with one handle over another.

These are simple technique issues. Regardless of which handle you use, you develop the technique to switch or spin.

This is another version of someone getting the idea that equipment changes can do something that you would need technique and time training to develop. So, I would say, someone gave you the wrong idea. Transitioning is a matter of practice and technique. When you do the work, it starts to become easier and easier. Spin on FH is a matter of technique.

Ma Long uses a flared handle: does anyone have a more powerful or more spinny FH than Ma Long? Does he transition from FH to BH well enough with the flared handle?

Find a handle that feels good in your hand.

Being honest, I don't even hold the handle. I hold the base of the blade face with my thumb and index finger. The rest of my fingers are very relaxed. They keep the handle from going anywhere. But I am barely holding with them. The result of holding how I just described is that my grip automatically shifts with the angle of my wrist so it adjusts to any kind of shot I want to do. That would happen with any kind of handle since I am barely holding it. And that is technique.

Last edited:
Reactions: KM1976
This user has no status.
Being honest, I don't even hold the handle. I hold the base of the blade face with my thumb and index finger. The rest of my fingers are very relaxed. They keep the handle from going anywhere. But I am barely holding with them. The result of holding how I just described is that my grip automatically shifts with the angle of my wrist so it adjusts to any kind of shot I want to do. That would happen with any kind of handle since I am barely holding it. And that is technique.

I hold the blade in the same way as you described. That's why all those stories were not clear to me and that's why I asked this question. In many places you can read various theories, even some coaches specify that a certain type of handle is for a certain style of play.
Here is an example: https://pingsunday.com/best-handle-type-in-table-tennis/

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I prefer ST then FL second really don't like AN handles. St handles tend to feel a bit thicker which helps me to not grip the bat to hard for better feeling/touch
This is what it is about. This is the right reason to choose a handle. And people have different hands. I choose flared for a similar reason. The fact that the flared handle is thinner where I would have my three fingers means it is not too big for my hands. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I hold the blade in the same way as you described. That's why all those stories were not clear to me and that's why I asked this question. In many places you can read various theories, even some coaches specify that a certain type of handle is for a certain style of play.
Here is an example: https://pingsunday.com/best-handle-type-in-table-tennis/

EmRatThich is the Author of Ping Sunday. Until you see footage of EmRatThich playing table tennis, read what he says with a healthy degree of skepticism. Think about why, as an online "coach", after a decade of making videos using footage of people he has never met (exclusively), he has never posted footage of himself or any of his "students". Think about it. Even if some of his advice is good and useful, it is still worth questioning the source.

BTW: there are more than 6 types of handles. Sorry but....

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: jammmail and KM1976
This user has no status.

EmRatThich is the Author of Ping Sunday. Until you see footage of EmRatThich playing table tennis, read what he says with a healthy degree of skepticism. Think about why, as an online "coach", after a decade of making videos using footage of people he has never met (exclusively), he has never posted footage of himself or any of his "students". Think about it. Even if some of his advice is good and useful, it is still worth questioning the source.

BTW: there are more than 6 types of handles. Sorry but....

I can definitely agree with that.