Don't Move that Elbow and Upper Arm All Around You !!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I’m very pleased you woke this thread up as I hadn’t seen it - it’s very relevant to my current journey to get to a decent BH loop vs under spin.

This might not be the right thread but i‘d appreciate any thoughts on whether I’m actually getting the basics of this stroke right in reference to the various comments before.

My biggest challenge is getting the wrist turned over enough and the finish forward enough - if I don’t manage this then I hit the ball long.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I’m very pleased you woke this thread up as I hadn’t seen it - it’s very relevant to my current journey to get to a decent BH loop vs under spin.

This might not be the right thread but i‘d appreciate any thoughts on whether I’m actually getting the basics of this stroke right in reference to the various comments before.

My biggest challenge is getting the wrist turned over enough and the finish forward enough - if I don’t manage this then I hit the ball long.

What do you think is wrong with hitting the ball long as long as you are getting good spin? It is better to get good spin and vary the contact point than to use suboptimal technique and put the ball on the table consistently in practice. Because remember, you will be forced to vary the contact point according to how read the ball in matches, and then your suboptimal technique may fall apart because it is working in practice, but was never forced to adapt the ball.

The real reason why you are struggling is partly because you aren't coming round the side of the ball so you that you can turn it with your stroke. Very few players loop backspin easily the way you are approaching it. Most advanced players use some sidespin on heavy backspin/chop.

Reactions: Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
What do you think is wrong with hitting the ball long as long as you are getting good spin? It is better to get good spin and vary the contact point than to use suboptimal technique and put the ball on the table consistently in practice. Because remember, you will be forced to vary the contact point according to how read the ball in matches, and then your suboptimal technique may fall apart because it is working in practice, but was never forced to adapt the ball.

The real reason why you are struggling is partly because you aren't coming round the side of the ball so you that you can turn it with your stroke. Very few players loop backspin easily the way you are approaching it. Most advanced players use some sidespin on heavy backspin/chop.
I was hoping you’d see this!

That’s not something I had really thought about - attacking the ball from the side. Is that simply hitting the ball on the left side a little but with similar stroke mechanics?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I was hoping you’d see this!

That’s not something I had really thought about - attacking the ball from the side. Is that simply hitting the ball on the left side a little but with similar stroke mechanics?
Something like that but with the intent to spin - at a high level the theory is to avoid where the ball is spinning heavily so you can loop with more ease. Watch top players loop backspin, they don't lift it by smacking into it, they loop and follow through with a curved stroke. The stroke also ends up being a bit more forward, but there is definitely an upward component to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrighty67