Eugene vs 2200 player

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
I guess your not reading my English to understand,
in 2012 to 2015 where it was likely Eugene's prime, it was the very old world ranking system. So his ranking was not inflated and he was 50~65 then and have wins against many top 20 players, including world champ 2nd place Fang Bo. I counted over a dozen top 50 players that Eugene beat, from the likes of Japan, Germany, Singapore, China and Europe (TT big nations basically)

Eugene did deserve his spot around the WR50 mark, and I am now tending to agree with NL. You obviously haven't been watching much table tennis of 10 years ago to assume Eugene was not world level.
I would say, Eugene in his prime is still higher than Kanak at his best. Kanak's WR is inflated due to the new WTT world ranking - which was introduced 4 years ago only... Eugene was 34 years old, 4 years ago, and on the decline.
If Eugene had WTT new world ranking today, he would likely be inflated from 50~60 to 20~30.

If you don't understand how WR works 10 years ago, then, maybe it is best for you to go and research a bit and also check the historical data on how many famous players Eugene has beaten in his ITTF career (WTT didn't exist back then).

If any, Kanak is NA groomed, while Eugene is Chinese groom. But Eugene being the level he was in NA 10 years ago, did beat all those Chinese provincial players (and national b team players) that still reside in the USA today and his wins over top world players are a fact and can't be edited. In NA Eugene was basically undefeatable and only defeatable now and have many wins against other world level player, just a pity he is no longer in his 20s, so he can show you his world level (but there is youtube for that)

I got some stats for you. Don't see any top 20 player he beat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
You need to go back further. Log in at results.ittf.link. Put only Wang Eugene in one of the entries. Click GO.

2015GAC Group World Tour, Swedish Open, Stockholm (SWE)Main DrawMSR32WANG Eugene (CAN)FANG Bo (CHN)10:12 11:2 11:9 4:11 11:8 9:11 11:54 - 3WANG Eugene

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
You need to go back further. Log in at results.ittf.link. Put only Wang Eugene in one of the entries. Click GO.

2015GAC Group World Tour, Swedish Open, Stockholm (SWE)Main DrawMSR32WANG Eugene (CAN)FANG Bo (CHN)10:12 11:2 11:9 4:11 11:8 9:11 11:54 - 3WANG Eugene
lol

I provided a butterfly article that talks about the win by Eugene Wang over Fang Bo
I guess, some people just have selective believing

Fang Bo was ranked 8th then
Eugene was ranked 84 then

The win against Gao Ning, in 2012, Gao was WR17
Eugene was WR149

The problem with Eugene under the old ranking - he didn't really play enough (unlike today, don't play much, you can still be pushed in the top 100).
Eugene had to beat players to climb up rankings. IE win over Gao Ning, pushed Eugene from 149 to 94
or the win over Fang Bo pushed Eugene from 84 to 61.

The WR back them was the true times where players only get ranking points is by beating beater players. Not just taking part in some tournament and loose and you can improve your rankings. Or beating a continental low level player and become continental champion and you shoot up to top 40 in the world.

Eugene is actually very respectable back then, a player who can keep up the rallies and not that easy to beat.
As I said, he had so many wins against other European and Asian top world rank players and have 3-4 losses against many popular players too.

Last edited:
Reactions: vvk1 and IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews

Fang Bo was mentioned many times in this thread but no other names

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Fang Bo was mentioned many times in this thread but no other names
Gao Ning was mentioned a lot of times too.
You better book a visit to the eye doctor :p

2012 (gao ning win year) also has
yang zi wr48
Tan Ruiwu WR67

2015 (Fang bo win year) also has
Kim Minseok WR29
Shiono Masato WR54

You can go check the whole list and match WR during that tournament yourself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
Gao Ning was mentioned a lot of times too.
You better book a visit to the eye doctor :p

2012 (gao ning win year) also has
yang zi wr48
Tan Ruiwu WR67

2015 (Fang bo win year) also has
Kim Minseok WR29
Shiono Masato WR54

You can go check the whole list and match WR during that tournament yourself.

I don't know where to check what Gao Ning was in world ranking. I don't think he was top 20. Anyway only 2 wins in carrier its not enough.
They can lose accidently. Even Ma Long losing sometime to lower ranking players.
In 2023 Ma Long lost to YOSHIMURA Maharu, in 2022 lost to FRANZISKA Patrick.

So if Fang Bo lost once to Eugene doesn't mean anything. He lost to many others, like: STOYANOV Niagol, HIRANO Yuki, PISTEJ Lubomir, AKKUZU Can, DYJAS Jakub ... So why not to lost to Eugene

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I don't know where to check what Gao Ning was in world ranking. I don't think he was top 20. Anyway only 2 wins in carrier its not enough.
They can lose accidently. Even Ma Long losing sometime to lower ranking players.
In 2023 Ma Long lost to YOSHIMURA Maharu, in 2022 lost to FRANZISKA Patrick.

So if Fang Bo lost once to Eugene doesn't mean anything. He lost to many others, like: STOYANOV Niagol, HIRANO Yuki, PISTEJ Lubomir, AKKUZU Can, DYJAS Jakub ... So why not to lost to Eugene
The results.ittf.link also has ranking history. Gao Ning was ranked 17 at the time. He also had wins over Chen Chien An and Adrien Mattenet who where top 50 players at the time. Eugene's highest ranking was 46. For much of his prime, he was near 50.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
The results.ittf.link also has ranking history. Gao Ning was ranked 17 at the time. He also had wins over Chen Chien An and Adrien Mattenet who where top 50 players at the time. Eugene's highest ranking was 46. For much of his prime, he was near 50.

np Gao Ning count but Tony said Eugene wins against many top 20 players. I think many means more then 2. As I mentioned before Fang Bo lost to many Europeans players who ranking much lower then he.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hm... lets see how the whole thing started
This ranking numbers don't mean much. You know this.
for most of Eugene's playing career, (which isn't this new inflated method), his rank is pretty much fair and not inflated. You should know this

Maybe I wrong but I never seen him beat someone from top 100 on any ITTF or WTT tournaments, not talking to beat someone higher then he
Fang Bo should be around WR10 or so back in 2015 when Eugene beat him.
I'm sure there is also wins over Gao Ning (another Top 20 player) - google search says in 2012

google search also seems to indicated there are also wins against Robles, Wang Yang,

ITTF has closed its stats section, so I can't really do a quick check there, but to stated that under the old ranking where a WR50 player doesn't have wins against WR100 players is really... "not knowing how the old system works".

Well, I'm still believe my claim of Piligrim not doing how the old ranking system works is correct.
You cannot get to WR5x without beating WR100 / WR50 players
We have now collectively having over a dozen (win) names to justify that Eugene is worth is WR50, when he was younger

I have given this enough energy and time
the rest is just confirmation of denying for the sake of denying