Footwork exercises

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Anyway, I actually have fun doing stuff like this for cardio endurance and making fitness type exercise fun for me. But being realistic, it does not really translate that much into footwork in match play. Serve and receive drills and game play simulation drills will do much more for that.

Once in a while in a match I feel myself take a bunch of those tiny little steps and hear the ground squeak as I am adjusting to a precise position for ball placement and think: "cool, I just did some of that nifty footwork stuff I love practicing." But it is actually pretty rare. [emoji2]

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Have you tried mixing up footwork exercises , like falkenberg but not exactly , with actual serves you do in a match ? Just a thought ...
Anyway, I actually have fun doing stuff like this for cardio endurance and making fitness type exercise fun for me. But being realistic, it does not really translate that much into footwork in match play. Serve and receive drills and game play simulation drills will do much more for that.

Once in a while in a match I feel myself take a bunch of those tiny little steps and hear the ground squeak as I am adjusting to a precise position for ball placement and think: "cool, I just did some of that nifty footwork stuff I love practicing." But it is actually pretty rare. [emoji2]

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Have you tried mixing up footwork exercises , like falkenberg but not exactly , with actual serves you do in a match ? Just a thought ...

That would be pretty fun too. The training partners I play with, most of them, I would be able to feed something like that to them. But then, what got fed to me would end up being a very useful random drill.

One time I was "blocking" with my BH and feeding the ball randomly in a way to help this guy adjust to slight changes in ball placement better. Someone was watching and I explained the drill. I said: "in the drill we are doing, he places the ball here, to my BH. And I move him around randomly." The person watching responded: "that's funny. I thought he was actually feeding you randomly instead." LOL.

If I got to train with someone like Edmund or Paul David or Landers, or my lefty friend Jeff who has amazing control, we could do something like that. But my time training is getting less and less. And there would be other things I feel I would probably be more interested in practicing.

In and out followed by lateral drills like in your video, are a lot of fun.

Now, in a match situation I can definitely footwork to take a FH from the BH corner. And the step would be the same step as the transition linking BH to FH in the Faulkenberg. I actually get to practice that transition a ton because, when I play with Jeff, he is lefty and his FH is excellent. So we start from my BH to his FH and then I transition to FH and then we open up and play random a lot. So I do that transition decently well for my level. That transition makes a lot of people think my level is higher than it is.

But, still footwork in a real match is different than it is in those kind of drills. It is still worth doing them if there are no injuries preventing you from doing them. Because you get good practice adjusting to each ball within a framework.

Personally, I think I get a lot of benefit from training with guys who swing big and don't have much control. They are the same basic level as me. We just are better at different things. And I get a lot of good practicing adjusting to balls where the person's body language says the ball is going one place and it goes someplace else because they mis-time their shot.

Reactions: Shuki and ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I completely sympathize with you about the training partners for me most of them only want to play matches. The reason I was suggesting is because I do high sidespin serves as well, especially the inside out kinds and the ball in a game situation is different than the ones I get during training. During training the spin is either under, no or top spin and the brain adjusts to them quicker and tells quickly whether the ball is slow or fast , long or short. Because of the lateral component in side under or side top balls , I find that the making the tiny step adjustment is actually more difficult to process for the brain when I start with a side under , side top serve.

That would be pretty fun too. The training partners I play with, most of them, I would be able to feed something like that to them. But then, what got fed to me would end up being a very useful random drill.

One time I was "blocking" with my BH and feeding the ball randomly in a way to help this guy adjust to slight changes in ball placement better. Someone was watching and I explained the drill. I said: "in the drill we are doing, he places the ball here, to my BH. And I move him around randomly." The person watching responded: "that's funny. I thought he was actually feeding you randomly instead." LOL.

If I got to train with someone like Edmund or Paul David or Landers, or my lefty friend Jeff who has amazing control, we could do something like that. But my time training is getting less and less. And there would be other things I feel I would probably be more interested in practicing.

In and out followed by lateral drills like in your video, are a lot of fun.

Now, in a match situation I can definitely footwork to take a FH from the BH corner. And the step would be the same step as the transition linking BH to FH in the Faulkenberg. I actually get to practice that transition a ton because, when I play with Jeff, he is lefty and his FH is excellent. So we start from my BH to his FH and then I transition to FH and then we open up and play random a lot. So I do that transition decently well for my level. That transition makes a lot of people think my level is higher than it is.

But, still footwork in a real match is different than it is in those kind of drills. It is still worth doing them if there are no injuries preventing you from doing them. Because you get good practice adjusting to each ball within a framework.

Personally, I think I get a lot of benefit from training with guys who swing big and don't have much control. They are the same basic level as me. We just are better at different things. And I get a lot of good practicing adjusting to balls where the person's body language says the ball is going one place and it goes someplace else because they mis-time their shot.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Great stuff. So fast. Gotta love it. This kind of stuff is well worth working on.
They really make it look easy! 2 seasons ago we incooperated ladder exercises in our warm up. We sucked big time yo started, but in the end we hot quite good at it.