Freitas ALC vs Apolonia ZLC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Hello guys! I'm playing Muzitani ZLC and I guess that this blade is so hard for me. I get used to have more time/dwell on blade, high arc but with Mizutani ball leaves from blase quick and I would like to have more time. I think need less harder blade perhaps a lit softer and slower. Freitas ALC and Apolonia ZLC seem like these blades that I'm looking for. Perhaps anyone has experience with these blades? Any differences between them? Or anyone can compare Muzitani ZLC vs Freitas or Apolonia? Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
What professional league are you playing in ? Perhaps we can find some top coach to help you adjust !

If it was not obvious by now, i am obviously joking. You find it too hard to play a fast blade with rubbers that professionals use. What makes you think that you could control them, while the professionals very likely will train way more often than you ? Do you think you are more talented than them ?

If you just want to blast a few balls that is totally ok, but if you want to challenge somebody in a league competition than this material is probably not appropriate for your level. It will actually stop you from learning to use proper strokes to generate power.

Perhaps you can post a video of you playing with your two setups (Harimto and Mizutani).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Hello guys! I'm playing Muzitani ZLC and I guess that this blade is so hard for me. I get used to have more time/dwell on blade, high arc but with Mizutani ball leaves from blase quick and I would like to have more time. I think need less harder blade perhaps a lit softer and slower. Freitas ALC and Apolonia ZLC seem like these blades that I'm looking for. Perhaps anyone has experience with these blades? Any differences between them? Or anyone can compare Muzitani ZLC vs Freitas or Apolonia? Thanks
What rubber do you use? If it's t05 or d05 try their siblings with less dense top sheet: 80 or 64 (or similar from other brands, e.g. xiom vega pro -> vega asia). Vega Asia is not too expensive to try figuring this out.

I didn't try Freitas, but Apolonia was a complicated blade for me: it didn't offer that much more dwell on FH and it was too flexible to reliably block on BH.

Reactions: dec88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
What professional league are you playing in ? Perhaps we can find some top coach to help you adjust !

If it was not obvious by now, i am obviously joking. You find it too hard to play a fast blade with rubbers that professionals use. What makes you think that you could control them, while the professionals very likely will train way more often than you ? Do you think you are more talented than them ?

If you just want to blast a few balls that is totally ok, but if you want to challenge somebody in a league competition than this material is probably not appropriate for your level. It will actually stop you from learning to use proper strokes to generate power.

Perhaps you can post a video of you playing with your two setups (Harimto and Mizutani).
Sir If you cant say something about these blades just skip this topic. My question is which differences between them and I can to rate which setup more suit for me. What about video I have just short episode my training 1 year ago

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
What rubber do you use? If it's t05 or d05 try their siblings with less dense top sheet: 80 or 64 (or similar from other brands, e.g. xiom vega pro -> vega asia). Vega Asia is not too expensive to try figuring this out.

I didn't try Freitas, but Apolonia was a complicated blade for me: it didn't offer that much more dwell on FH and it was too flexible to reliably block on BH.
Thanks! I use T19 and Gold Arc 8 47.5 degress with Mizutani these rubbers suit better than more harder Dignics in my opinion. I can try more softer rubbers around 45 degress but dont want spend money for experience perhaps better change blade.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Thanks! I use T19 and Gold Arc 8 47.5 degress with Mizutani these rubbers suit better than more harder Dignics in my opinion. I can try more softer rubbers around 45 degress but dont want spend money for experience perhaps better change blade.
Well, I'd say t19 has even denser top sheet than t05.

> I can try more softer rubbers around 45 degress but dont want spend money for experience perhaps better change blade.

It all boils down to experiments anyway: changing rubbers vs changing blades. But I really mean that you should try rubbers with less dense pips arrangement like Vega Asia. I have D64 on Mizutani and it feels easier to play with than T05 despite the harder sponge of the former.

This user has no status.
Been there done that, when you play carbon but you really miss the dwell time and the control you should go for an inner carbon blade and now you get the best of two world, I can't even begin to tell you how I love my innerforce (after having played with ZJK ALC) with a tape on the handle to dim even more the vibrations, lovely

Reactions: Koichi and dec88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Hi Mate, yes the Mizutani ZLC is a fast blade. I used Apolonia for couple years prior to lockdown and then during lockdown I went on a testing spree to get the EJ out of my system. I personally found MJ better than TA, it just felt more stable, yes the TA is bit slower as it’s Innerforce but after I tested various blades I realised that TA isn’t always stable, not sure what was about it but there was something unstable about it specially in blocking. I’m afraid I haven’t used Freitas but I have used Harimoto ALC, FZD ALC and my own is LGY ALC.
Have u considered any other ALC blade other than Freitas? During my testing I compared MJZLC directly to LGYALC I found LGY was little slower but trust me speed away from table is more than sufficient, LGY had better control due to the dwell, I found open ups easier due to the dwell also.
If you are looking at blasting opponents away then MJ if your looking for something with good control, dwell but without too less speed then LGY. Having said that the LGY I believe is slowly being discontinued so better option would be FZDALC and it’s difficult to tell difference between the LGY and FZD, if anything FZD possibly felt even more slightly controlled.

Considering all the above of u want something even slower and more controlled with dwell than HARIMOTO ALC. I tested this also and close to table was amazing the only drawback for myself was away from table felt bit slow. So depending on ur style if close to table try HM if u like playing away a bit then FZD/LGY.

After my testing I personally find ALC blades more controlled, and with more spin and stability.
My set up for past couple years is LGY with H3N bs and D05. I can’t see myself testing anymore and I certainly wouldn’t go from ALC back to ZLC. If my blades had to break and I forced to buy new one it would be a no brainer I would get FZDALC simple.

Hope this helps a bit. Obviously my opinion and outcomes of my own testings.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Hi Mate, yes the Mizutani ZLC is a fast blade. I used Apolonia for couple years prior to lockdown and then during lockdown I went on a testing spree to get the EJ out of my system. I personally found MJ better than TA, it just felt more stable, yes the TA is bit slower as it’s Innerforce but after I tested various blades I realised that TA isn’t always stable, not sure what was about it but there was something unstable about it specially in blocking. I’m afraid I haven’t used Freitas but I have used Harimoto ALC, FZD ALC and my own is LGY ALC.
Have u considered any other ALC blade other than Freitas? During my testing I compared MJZLC directly to LGYALC I found LGY was little slower but trust me speed away from table is more than sufficient, LGY had better control due to the dwell, I found open ups easier due to the dwell also.
If you are looking at blasting opponents away then MJ if your looking for something with good control, dwell but without too less speed then LGY. Having said that the LGY I believe is slowly being discontinued so better option would be FZDALC and it’s difficult to tell difference between the LGY and FZD, if anything FZD possibly felt even more slightly controlled.

Considering all the above of u want something even slower and more controlled with dwell than HARIMOTO ALC. I tested this also and close to table was amazing the only drawback for myself was away from table felt bit slow. So depending on ur style if close to table try HM if u like playing away a bit then FZD/LGY.

After my testing I personally find ALC blades more controlled, and with more spin and stability.
My set up for past couple years is LGY with H3N bs and D05. I can’t see myself testing anymore and I certainly wouldn’t go from ALC back to ZLC. If my blades had to break and I forced to buy new one it would be a no brainer I would get FZDALC simple.

Hope this helps a bit. Obviously my opinion and outcomes of my own testings.
Thank sir! Very helpful! Thanks a million! LGY seems also what Im looking for! Can you compare Harimoto ALC and LGY which one is more linear? I used Harimoto ALC and when I loop with lots power and turn on inner carbor sometimes could loose control, perhaps LGY more linear?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Thank sir! Very helpful! Thanks a million! LGY seems also what Im looking for! Can you compare Harimoto ALC and LGY which one is more linear? I used Harimoto ALC and when I loop with lots power and turn on inner carbor sometimes could loose control, perhaps LGY more linear?
From memory HM had slightly higher arc. The control on HM is exceptional as is the dwell. LGY sits in between HM and MJzlc.

For me I found LGY has the ideal speed and suits me really well. Both close to table and away is great. Like I said only drawback for me I found with HM was it was bit slow away from table. If you’re asking which one is more linear then I would probably say LGY but this will also depend on the rubbers.

If you are considering LGY then have you considered FZD? It’s just the newer version of it, I only say this as I’m not sure how long LGY will be available for unless u get your hands on one in near future. In uk with the butterfly retailer it’s showing as a clearance item. I suspect LGY won’t be around too long as he’s no longer a butterfly player hence I’m guessing production of this blade has stopped so whatever there is out there is it. Just my guess.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
From memory HM had slightly higher arc. The control on HM is exceptional as is the dwell. LGY sits in between HM and MJzlc.

For me I found LGY has the ideal speed and suits me really well. Both close to table and away is great. Like I said only drawback for me I found with HM was it was bit slow away from table. If you’re asking which one is more linear then I would probably say LGY but this will also depend on the rubbers.

If you are considering LGY then have you considered FZD? It’s just the newer version of it, I only say this as I’m not sure how long LGY will be available for unless u get your hands on one in near future. In uk with the butterfly retailer it’s showing as a clearance item. I suspect LGY won’t be around too long as he’s no longer a butterfly player hence I’m guessing production of this blade has stopped so whatever there is out there is it. Just my guess.
I didnt think about FZD and now Im checking reviews and arcticles and you are right - its also seems what Im looking for! People say that FZD very similar to LGY and perhaps can be a liltle bit slower, but its not noticeably! FZD I also can consider If cant get LGY. Mate thank you so much, you open my eyes on other blades!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I didnt think about FZD and now Im checking reviews and arcticles and you are right - its also seems what Im looking for! People say that FZD very similar to LGY and perhaps can be a liltle bit slower, but its not noticeably! FZD I also can consider If cant get LGY. Mate thank you so much, you open my eyes on other blades!
Between LGY and FZD there is very little difference the main difference is the handle on FZD is slightly thicker. Playing characteristics is extremely similar. I own 2 LGY and my son has FZD so I did paste my rubbers on his FZD and briefly test. The main difference I felt was handle, but FZD felt just a tad more controlled, can’t explain how but just felt it and I love the control of LGY already.

If anything happens to my LGY then I would replace it with FZD but as I already had 2 LGY I didn’t get too tempted to get myself a FZD but I was very close 😂😂😂. I have 1 LGY for training and 1 LGY for matches and comps last thing I wanted was to get a FZD and then get confused shall I use FZD today or LGY lol… so to avoid that confusion I stayed away from the temptation and also sold my Apolonia and Harimoto and Mizutani so I’m never tempted to try them again lol.

Good luck with ur decision but persona u can’t go wrong with a alc compared to a ZLC personally.

Reactions: M.Hoang and dec88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Between LGY and FZD there is very little difference the main difference is the handle on FZD is slightly thicker. Playing characteristics is extremely similar. I own 2 LGY and my son has FZD so I did paste my rubbers on his FZD and briefly test. The main difference I felt was handle, but FZD felt just a tad more controlled, can’t explain how but just felt it and I love the control of LGY already.

If anything happens to my LGY then I would replace it with FZD but as I already had 2 LGY I didn’t get too tempted to get myself a FZD but I was very close 😂😂😂. I have 1 LGY for training and 1 LGY for matches and comps last thing I wanted was to get a FZD and then get confused shall I use FZD today or LGY lol… so to avoid that confusion I stayed away from the temptation and also sold my Apolonia and Harimoto and Mizutani so I’m never tempted to try them again lol.

Good luck with ur decision but persona u can’t go wrong with a alc compared to a ZLC personally.
Thanks very helpful information! Unfortunately I cant click more than 1 like )

Reactions: Deep74