FZD - will he be the next Wang Hao?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
After his crushing defeat against WCQ in the finals I wonder if fzd will face the same fate at wang hao of never winning Olympic games.

I know there careers are not totally the same as FZD already has one more world championship title than wang hao who only had one but it seems like he has found his master in WCQ.

The final in Tokyo against ma long might have been his big opportunity to win.

To you think he can figure out WCQ and win an olympic gold medal in singles? Or is WCQ just too strong?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
After his crushing defeat against WCQ in the finals I wonder if fzd will face the same fate at wang hao of never winning Olympic games.

I know there careers are not totally the same as FZD already has one more world championship title than wang hao who only had one but it seems like he has found his master in WCQ.

To you think he can figure out WCQ and win an olympic gold medal in singles? Or is WCQ just too strong?

It will be tough. I don’t know if FZD’s knee injury is fully healed. His footwork is sluggish, he missed a lot of FH shots and couldn’t move fast enough for short games.

mil

This user has no status.

mil

This user has no status.
Nov 2012
FZD is 26 and has already two World Championships Singles titles, he can retire...

Seriously, he can compete for the next eight years at least if he stays one of the two best Chinese players, that is 2-3 olympics and 4 World Championships, he will have more than enough opportunities to get even more titles. His style is not very physically demanding, he does not have to run round his backhand nor play half-distance rallies.

But I hope that he does not outperform Ma Long, as Ma is for me the best player ever - he managed to win against different opponents from different eras and has adapted to all the changes to the game, FZD is so onedimensional...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

I would say if FZD doesn't take Paris, LA will be a lot more difficult.

Winning OG is all about timing. Now WCQ is up, if OG was in 2023, FZD would of win it with ease.
In 2028, the lack of depth in CNT does give FZD still the chance of taking part, but he would be a lot older and slower by then (and more beatable).

FZD can still beat WCQ, so its all about form and injury leading up to Paris.

I don't believe FZD can be like a Ma Long to play till 30 something. There is really no one else that played till Ma Long's age from CNT. Ma Long had fierce competitors, FZD doesn't really have that many in the next few years (lack of depth in CNT)

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
It will be tough. I don’t know if FZD’s knee injury is fully healed. His footwork is sluggish, he missed a lot of FH shots and couldn’t move fast enough for short games.
I‘m pretty sure FZD was wearing a knee strap in the semi, but it was missing in the final, WCQ didn’t have a knee strap in the semi, in the final he was wearing a knee strap. Maybe whoever wears the knee strap wins the match!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
FZD is 26 and has already two World Championships Singles titles, he can retire...

Seriously, he can compete for the next eight years at least if he stays one of the two best Chinese players, that is 2-3 olympics and 4 World Championships, he will have more than enough opportunities to get even more titles. His style is not very physically demanding, he does not have to run round his backhand nor play half-distance rallies.

But I hope that he does not outperform Ma Long, as Ma is for me the best player ever - he managed to win against different opponents from different eras and has adapted to all the changes to the game, FZD is so onedimensional...

Ma Long’s reigning dynasty could last so many years because he kept adapting to the changing play style.

Another advantage in Ma Long is that he has so many tactics up his sleeves. If Ma Long has to play 20 different players, he can literally pull out 20 different tactics combos.

FZD can adapt. But his play style is plain and lacks the variability possessed by the Ma Long at his prime time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Winning OG is all about timing. Now WCQ is up, if OG was in 2023, FZD would of win it with ease.
In 2028, the lack of depth in CNT does give FZD still the chance of taking part, but he would be a lot older and slower by then (and more beatable).

I don't believe FZD can be like a Ma Long to play till 30 something. There is really no one else that played till Ma Long's age from CNT. Ma Long had fierce competitors, FZD doesn't really have that many in the next few years (lack of depth in CNT)

Regarding the lack of depth in the men’s team, you are right.

Among those in their early 20s, only WCQ and Lin Shidong show the potential. I can’t see anyone else who can rise to China’s #1

This user has no status.

I was pissed off when FZD lost to Ma Long in Tokyo - it was his for the taking and he didn't step up tactically especially in terms of serve/receive.

He really needs a serve coach. Seriously his serves in that match were so simple that I bet even I can receive them not too bad.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I was pissed off when FZD lost to Ma Long in Tokyo - it was his for the taking and he didn't step up tactically especially in terms of serve/receive.

He really needs a serve coach. Seriously his serves in that match were so simple that I bet even I can receive them not too bad.

Exactly. When I watched his match against Darko I was frustrated by his serve. He literally served to Darko’s FH 99% of the time. No variation in placement 🤷🏻

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Regarding the lack of depth in the men’s team, you are right.

Among those in their early 20s, only WCQ and Lin Shidong show the potential. I can’t see anyone else who can rise to China’s #1
some would argue that Lin Shidong isn't complete and does lack a bit when compared to his predecessors at the same age

However when it comes to WCQ, he does have this problem, a LGY problem basically.
He would need to make sure he stop loosing so many points on a trot to be able to be a problem world no 1

This user has no status.
Exactly. When I watched his match against Darko I was frustrated by his serve. He literally served to Darko’s FH 99% of the time. No variation in placement 🤷🏻
Yes it felt like an arrogant playstyle, he thinks that he is such a god at topspin rallying and attacking that even with the crappiest of serves and strategies he can still beat everyone...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
some would argue that Lin Shidong isn't complete and does lack a bit when compared to his predecessors at the same age

However when it comes to WCQ, he does have this problem, a LGY problem basically.
He would need to make sure he stop loosing so many points on a trot to be able to be a problem world no 1

That’s true that WCQ has this problem. But when you ask yourself - how many times did WCQ lose a match while leading? Probably 10 out of 100 (just a made up number for illustration)

When you ask the same question about LGY, the answer is probably 30 out of 100 a few years ago and down to 15 out of 100 now.

Out of all the youngsters WCQ is relatively the most consistent

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Yes it felt like an arrogant playstyle, he thinks that he is such a god at topspin rallying and attacking that even with the crappiest of serves and strategies he can still beat everyone...

In response, Darko flicked many light-speed top spin to FZD’s fh, revealing his sluggish footwork

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
That’s true that WCQ has this problem. But when you ask yourself - how many times did WCQ lose a match while leading? Probably 10 out of 100 (just a made up number for illustration)

When you ask the same question about LGY, the answer is probably 30 out of 100 a few years ago and down to 15 out of 100 now.

Out of all the youngsters WCQ is relatively the most consistent
this problem never goes away.
LGY had this problem since cadet years already.

Giving the lack of competition for WCQ, it is his to loose.
Unlike previous eras where any of the top 3 in CNT can win.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

The lack of competition in WCQ’s age range is his big advantage for now. If this issue continues, CNT will be in big trouble.

But back to FZD, he needs a lot of new tricks to win the Paris Olympic. His game is too simple and relies too much on topspin rallies

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

The all time great Ma Long has matches where he's lost multiple points in a row. A very bad day can happen.

What matters is ability to win on the big stage.

WCQ has won the most WTT events; that speaks for itself. And if he's in top form in the Olympics, he'll most likely win it.

So what happens after a hypothetical situation where he wins the Olympics?, are we gonna bring up this video like ehem but.. but.. WCQ lost so so points in a row against ZQH in year 2022?!
Sounds like sour grapes tbh.

Reactions: TampaBayTableTennis
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
WLQ played till age 35. ML even mentioned him in an interview at WTT CS Frankfurt 2023 (see link below). Both of them have similar win rate at that age.

I wouldn't say FZD did not have stiff competition (first major debut at WTTC 2013 in MS, WTTC 2015 in MD and WTTC 2019 in XD). Rather, it's ML who had no competitors other than FZD after WLQ, MLin, WH et. al. retired at the end of 2013 and ZJK started going downhill in 2014 (97% win rate for 2014 (29W1L, 3-4 ZJK at World Cup) and 2015 (32W1L, 1-4 Shang Kun at Japan Open)).

Another point to keep in mind is that WCQ (first major debut at WTTC 2019 in MD and WTTC 2021 in MS and XD) is really just 1 year younger than FZD and his H2Hs against LJK and LGY are still neck-and-neck.

马龙的“晚期风格”
http://sports.news.cn/c/2023-11/06/c_1129960014.htm

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
WCQ has won the most WTT events; that speaks for itself. And if he's in top form in the Olympics, he'll most likely win it.

what kind of logic is this, WTT Is how many years now?
of course WCQ will have the most, and ZJK has zero, also the fat man who doesn't know table tennis also has zero

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

Also, I don't see LSD as the answer the Chinese team wants tbh; his style is very much like FZD's. It was effective some years ago against 99% of players. Nowadays it's very vulnerable. Winning the WJTTC or WYC doesn't mean much; how his results translate to the big stage and consistency is what matters. Both of which he lacks a lot. Maybe he's a late bloomer like WCQ/WYD ( I'm talking in terms of getting to the top of world TT), but it looks unlikely.