FZD - will he be the next Wang Hao?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
After the mens single final in Hangzhou, Chinese professional tt players had done some analysis on the match.

What got my attention is a pattern in FZD’s achievement:
Silver in Tokyo Olympic
Silver in Asian Champ
Silver in Asian Games

It almost felt like in 2011. Wang Hao was choked between the older trick-master Ma Lin and the younger rising star ZJK.

Now FZD is choked between Ma Long and the rising WCQ.

What do you think?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
After the mens single final in Hangzhou, Chinese professional tt players had done some analysis on the match.

Silver in Tokyo Olympic
Silver in Asian Champ
Silver in Asian Games

It almost felt like in 2011. Wang Hao was choked between the older trick-master Ma Lin and the younger rising star ZJK.

What do you think?
Wang Hao is Asian Champ and Asian Games Champion
so if any result match, it is only silver in OG, where Wang Hao is a veteran there with 3

Reactions: Choosikick
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
FZD won gold at ATTC 2015/2017 and Asian Games 2018. He is missing only the Olympic gold.

His trajectory is actually similar to that of ML, who has a huge lead in H2H against ZJK but never got past WH in the 3 majors (though FZD did beat ML once in World Cup 2020 after losing in World Cup 2015, and ZJK beat ML in World Cup 2014, their first and only encounter).

WCQ is not really comparable to ZJK. At WCQ's official age, ZJK was already a Gland Slam holder. By WCQ's real age (which is 25), ZJK was missing only a 2nd Olympic gold for another Grand Slam.

一人之下,萬人之上

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
FZD won gold at ATTC 2015/2017 and Asian Games 2018. He is missing only the Olympic gold.

His trajectory is actually similar to that of ML, who has a huge lead in H2H against ZJK but never got past WH in the 3 majors (though FZD did beat ML once in World Cup 2020 after losing in World Cup 2015, and ZJK beat ML in World Cup 2014, their first and only encounter).

WCQ is not really comparable to ZJK. At WCQ's official age, ZJK was already a Gland Slam holder. By WCQ's real age (which is 25), ZJK was missing only a 2nd Olympic gold for another Grand Slam.

一人之下,萬人之上
Official and unofficial WCQ ages?

This user has no status.
Not sure why you're concerned about FZD when he is 2x back to back world champion (including this year!). So in terms of majors he is leading big time. He even destroyed WCQ when it mattered the most at the WTTC. Furthermore, stylistically imo FZD has a significant advantage against Wang Chuqin, if you look at the head to head it is quite obvious. Wang Hao lost to both Ma Lin and ZJK because he has losing records to both, so it wasn't an upset at all. The only person FZD has a losing record to is Ma Long, whom I doubt will go for Paris 2024 singles.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Not sure why you're concerned about FZD when he is 2x back to back world champion (including this year!). So in terms of majors he is leading big time. He even destroyed WCQ when it mattered the most at the WTTC. Furthermore, stylistically imo FZD has a significant advantage against Wang Chuqin, if you look at the head to head it is quite obvious. Wang Hao lost to both Ma Lin and ZJK because he has losing records to both, so it wasn't an upset at all. The only person FZD has a losing record to is Ma Long, whom I doubt will go for Paris 2024 singles.

I am concerned because I want FZD to win the next Olympic 😄 which will likely be FZD vs WCQ. You never know how much more WCQ will improve in a year. And they know each other's play style really well

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
FZD has just announced his absence in the Star Contender Lanzhou due to injury so I think these two recent lost is justifiable

FZD had knee injury at the beginning of the year. I hope he will fully recover and come back smarter and stronger like Ma Long did after his surgery.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023

Silver in Tokyo Olympic
Silver in Asian Champ
Silver in Asian Games

What do you think?
ma long compared to fzd and wcq... is meh. Losing his spark i would say. Due to stereotypes in china that older athlees are weaker, he is going down that patht

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020

For me, FZD is the single most mentally strong player. Imo, nobody is comparable to FZD. I admire WCQ style, much more than FZD's, and also more than ML's - so here I disagree that FZD is better stylistically - however, it might just be misunderstanding. For me, WCQ's FH is on the "next" level, even compared to ML. At the same time, what matters most, is the head, and here noone compares to FZD. So I don't worry about him, at all. OK, these are my strongly opinionated (and more perception based) thoughts, endulge me ;-)

Reactions: Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
For me, FZD is the single most mentally strong player. Imo, nobody is comparable to FZD. I admire WCQ style, much more than FZD's, and also more than ML's - so here I disagree that FZD is better stylistically - however, it might just be misunderstanding. For me, WCQ's FH is on the "next" level, even compared to ML. At the same time, what matters most, is the head, and here noone compares to FZD. So I don't worry about him, at all. OK, these are my strongly opinionated (and more perception based) thoughts, endulge me ;-)
To be fair, WCQ has the bigger head. Isn't his nickname in China big head or something? ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
How did you arrive at the conclusion that FZD is the single most mentally strong player, when, IMHO, he should have been beating (Grand) Pa Long all these years, including at the last Olympics, but had to have Pa Long locked up in China so he could win his first WTTC?

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
But that is not a stereotype - if he was still beating WCQ, he would likely be going to Paris for singles.
Ma Long is still the most consistent in the CNT. He is older but his performance fluctuates very little. Let’s say ML fluctuates 98-102.

WCQ is young and is understandably less consistent. He can go from 85 today to 115 the next.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ma Long is still the most consistent in the CNT. He is older but his performance fluctuates very little. Let’s say ML fluctuates 98-102.

WCQ is young and is understandably less consistent. He can go from 85 today to 115 the next.
Yes, but the main point here is that WCQ is outperforming Ma Long in the race to Paris. That's nothing to do with stereotypes.

Reactions: matzreenzi