H3 blue sponge vs H3 neo blue sponge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
I have always used 39 degree Hurricane 3 commercial orange sponge from TT11 for the past 4-5 years (TT11 only carried 39 degree sponge for the longest time). I am used to it. When initially boosted, it is not that impressive. After you break it in and then reboost it again a month or so later, it comes alive a lot more.

I have never played provincial and national version. I have never played blue sponge version.

Am I curious? Yes. I have one National orange sponge and one National blue sponge sitting on my table. I got them on sales from Aliexpress. Am I eager to put them on and try them. Not right now. I am busy breaking in a couple commercial hurricane right now. I am also experimenting a bit more on my BH rubber.

I think for vast, vast majority of people, 39 degree Hurricane 3 commercial orange sponge works just fine.

The most important part is to break in the sponge and reboost it later.
I noticed that moving up to the higher version of the H3 also reduces the weight. National versions are the lightest, commercial versions are the heaviest, which can now be a problem for many players, since with heavy rubber on the forehand the choice of rubber for the backhand is greatly limited - you have to choose lighter and therefore softer rubbers, which actually play worse with this ball in fast rallies. In this regard when choosing between hurricane versions for most, the provincial version will be the golden mean.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
You're talking professional players here, right? Playing with National rubber quality with proper booster.
I am talking about regular people, not athletes. I will try 39 degrees anyway :)

And god let's hope we'll never get 50mm ball...
you welcome to use 39

If you were interested, I was referring to this outdated statement:

7. provincial players typically play 38 deg the stronger players (level or physical) will often use 39. national team typically use 39/40.

This user has no status.
I have always used 39 degree Hurricane 3 commercial orange sponge from TT11 for the past 4-5 years (TT11 only carried 39 degree sponge for the longest time). I am used to it. When initially boosted, it is not that impressive. After you break it in and then reboost it again a month or so later, it comes alive a lot more.

I have never played provincial and national version. I have never played blue sponge version.

Am I curious? Yes. I have one National orange sponge and one National blue sponge sitting on my table. I got them on sales from Aliexpress. Am I eager to put them on and try them. Not right now. I am busy breaking in a couple commercial hurricane right now. I am also experimenting a bit more on my BH rubber.

I think for vast, vast majority of people, 39 degree Hurricane 3 commercial orange sponge works just fine.

The most important part is to break in the sponge and reboost it later.
I think i bought several commercial H3 NEO orange rubbers to put on different blades, with different degrees, 37, 38, 39, 40, none were as good as the Prov BS 40 degree i am using on my Long 5X blade, and even this one isn't that good as the used H3 orange sponge rubber i first played with before that racket was stolen, i bought those several H3 rubbers trying to find the same match of that first used one, i failed, and i will never think about going to National version to find out, so i will just keep using those i have and replace few that i know it will never be played with again and stick with most ESN rubbers, i don't have time and mind to try every copy of H3 to find.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I think i bought several commercial H3 NEO orange rubbers to put on different blades, with different degrees, 37, 38, 39, 40, none were as good as the Prov BS 40 degree i am using on my Long 5X blade, and even this one isn't that good as the used H3 orange sponge rubber i first played with before that racket was stolen, i bought those several H3 rubbers trying to find the same match of that first used one, i failed, and i will never think about going to National version to find out, so i will just keep using those i have and replace few that i know it will never be played with again and stick with most ESN rubbers, i don't have time and mind to try every copy of H3 to find.

H3 is almost the same as other ESN rubbers because the topsheet is non-tacky. With all the hassle in boosting, you might as well just use the well tested hybrid - Tibhar K2, Rasanter C53 etc.

This user has no status.
H3 is almost the same as other ESN rubbers because the topsheet is non-tacky. With all the hassle in boosting, you might as well just use the well tested hybrid - Tibhar K2, Rasanter C53 etc.

Is there any thread of topic here where i can see the list of hybrid rubbers to choose one of them?

When i bought H3 rubbers i made sure that i go with "Neo" version of it, as i read it is the enhanced one from regular H3, i don't know how true is that, it is just i am not sure when i can get that "The Right" one of H3 version, because i boosted like 3 rubbers out of 6 i have of H3, and to me i feel none of them are good enough for what i want, even this Prov BS i have is like it is the best of worst of them, it is 40 deg, should i try 38 or 39 of it maybe?!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Is there any thread of topic here where i can see the list of hybrid rubbers to choose one of them?

When i bought H3 rubbers i made sure that i go with "Neo" version of it, as i read it is the enhanced one from regular H3, i don't know how true is that, it is just i am not sure when i can get that "The Right" one of H3 version, because i boosted like 3 rubbers out of 6 i have of H3, and to me i feel none of them are good enough for what i want, even this Prov BS i have is like it is the best of worst of them, it is 40 deg, should i try 38 or 39 of it maybe?!!!

There are a few factors that affect how "good" a H3 is:
  1. Sponge - quality wise National > Provincial > Commercial. But orange sponge gives you better feel than blue sponge
  2. Boosting - your boosting method matters
  3. Authenticity - is your H3 authentic?
  4. Sponge degree - lower degree requires less boosting. Overboosting can make the sponge feels "dead". For example 4 layers of Haifu on a 39 H3 will kill it.

This user has no status.
There are a few factors that affect how "good" a H3 is:
  1. Sponge - quality wise National > Provincial > Commercial. But orange sponge gives you better feel than blue sponge
  2. Boosting - your boosting method matters
  3. Authenticity - is your H3 authentic?
  4. Sponge degree - lower degree requires less boosting. Overboosting can make the sponge feels "dead". For example 4 layers of Haifu on a 39 H3 will kill it.

Difficult to answer your points as i try to be wise on my choices.

1. I got only one Prov, and it is 40 deg, so i assume it is in the "Hard" zone, so the coach did 2 layers to it, while the commercial 37 deg he just did 1 layer, anything wrong here?

2. I don't know the coach boosting method, i assume he knows what he is doing, and it was great, i doubt that the boosted faded already so i need to reboost it, although i didn't play with it very much, but i think it will fade even if i didn't play, so maybe it needs another boosting routine?

3. I bought from two places, one is authentic to me and many [TT11], the other i don't know [Aliexpress], how could i tell, the packages are all looks real and genuine, so i don't question about it, and it could be that i don't know about it enough to tell if it is authentic or not, so which places i can buy authentic ones then?

4. I believe only this Pro BS is 40 degree and boosted, and one 37 commercial, and all the rest are either 38 or 39, the i boosted only 3 of them, and it sounds maybe the blade type also a factor, 4 of them are on fast carbon blades, and 2 on just all wood blades.

I also have one DHS Skyline TG3 unboosted on all wood blade, i can't say much about it as i don't use this blade really, but for practice you feel it is nice, in actual game it is confusing, i mean one shot it is success, another shot is a big disaster.

This user has no status.
Difficult to answer your points as i try to be wise on my choices.

1. I got only one Prov, and it is 40 deg, so i assume it is in the "Hard" zone, so the coach did 2 layers to it, while the commercial 37 deg he just did 1 layer, anything wrong here?

2. I don't know the coach boosting method, i assume he knows what he is doing, and it was great, i doubt that the boosted faded already so i need to reboost it, although i didn't play with it very much, but i think it will fade even if i didn't play, so maybe it needs another boosting routine?

3. I bought from two places, one is authentic to me and many [TT11], the other i don't know [Aliexpress], how could i tell, the packages are all looks real and genuine, so i don't question about it, and it could be that i don't know about it enough to tell if it is authentic or not, so which places i can buy authentic ones then?

4. I believe only this Pro BS is 40 degree and boosted, and one 37 commercial, and all the rest are either 38 or 39, the i boosted only 3 of them, and it sounds maybe the blade type also a factor, 4 of them are on fast carbon blades, and 2 on just all wood blades.

I also have one DHS Skyline TG3 unboosted on all wood blade, i can't say much about it as i don't use this blade really, but for practice you feel it is nice, in actual game it is confusing, i mean one shot it is success, another shot is a big disaster.
Neo versions of Hurricane 3 are rarely fake and even if you somehow find one you can tell immediately.
You might want to boost your 40 deg rubber with 3 layers, they usually use fewer layers of softer sponges. And it’s important to let it uncurl

This user has no status.
Neo versions of Hurricane 3 are rarely fake and even if you somehow find one you can tell immediately.
You might want to boost your 40 deg rubber with 3 layers, they usually use fewer layers of softer sponges. And it’s important to let it uncurl
I have to check out with the coach, he sent me messages when he was doing each layer and leave it to uncurl, maybe he used 3 layers, i can't remember, but how much it will differ between 2 or 3 layers anyway? I mean i never tried boosted rubber before that H3 so i didn't test boosted 1-3 layers to compare, i could guess and say maybe he did 3 layers due to that it is 40 deg.

This user has no status.
I have to check out with the coach, he sent me messages when he was doing each layer and leave it to uncurl, maybe he used 3 layers, i can't remember, but how much it will differ between 2 or 3 layers anyway? I mean i never tried boosted rubber before that H3 so i didn't test boosted 1-3 layers to compare, i could guess and say maybe he did 3 layers due to that it is 40 deg.
It matters a lot when the sponge is harder, also it makes the sponge thicker with each layer

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
I beg your pardon, but there are different informations/opinions out there regarding this topic, which I happen to go d'accord with.

Just scroll down to the relevant posts by schen and kurokami...
woahhh, first time seeing a lsh off user!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
ooak interviewed DHS and put the post on ooak forum and mytt few years ago.
Thanks. Found this post from ooak, perhaps referring to the DHS interview. Still no consensus. People who seem to know what they're talking about disagree. Here's an exchange between longball and haggisv:

longball wrote:
I think the tuning is the factory glueing of several layers. I don't believe the sponge has any tuning. I could be wrong, if some else has knowledge please tell us.

haggisv wrote:
That's an interesting point actually.... DHS used to say with the No 15 glue (their water based glue) that multiple layers produce a tuning effect... and since the Neo series does come with a thick layer of glue, this may be what they're referring too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks. Found this post from ooak, perhaps referring to the DHS interview. Still no consensus. People who seem to know what they're talking about disagree. Here's an exchange between longball and haggisv:

longball wrote:
I think the tuning is the factory glueing of several layers. I don't believe the sponge has any tuning. I could be wrong, if some else has knowledge please tell us.

haggisv wrote:
That's an interesting point actually.... DHS used to say with the No 15 glue (their water based glue) that multiple layers produce a tuning effect... and since the Neo series does come with a thick layer of glue, this may be what they're referring too.

no 15 glue has no tuning effect.
WBG - when layered could assist in the bounce of the sponge, but it isn't an oil that would expand the sponge

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews

no 15 glue has no tuning effect.
WBG - when layered could assist in the bounce of the sponge, but it isn't an oil that would expand the sponge
All I know is that the neo has a different sponge and has some kind of tune, and that's why it has GLUE on it when you buy it