Hello from Germany

I'm another player, who returned to TT after more than 30 years. In the mid 1980's I was a youth coach with a team in the highest federal (provincial) league.
I have never played at a higher level myself as I only started playing as an adult without a coach. And working as a trainer, up to four times a week, prevented a higher focus on my own development. I stopped playing table tennis because of my studies and my job.

The ever-improving broadcasts on YouTube brought me back. I was so hooked that I joined a neighborhood club after the Corona Lookdowns.

Of course I had to struggle for some time to adjust to the new material. Even the new tensors on my old Primorac made me doubt, that I would be able to play an acceptable short game. After studying technology and metarial online for some time, I ended up with the classic Chinese rubbers (H3). Until recently I also played a Chinese blade (DHS 301X), which has now given way to a Balsa 6.5 from TSP (old model) as a test.

Even though I'm 64 years old, playing powerful spins on both sides is my greatest pleasure. And yes - unfortunately it happens too often, that my initiated tempo overwhelms me as a return. :p

NO, don't tempt him...................
Old men are not that easy to tempt (no?) :sneaky:

As you can see on my complete list, I used several ESN. The last one was J&H 2.1. I bought a 2nd-hand H3 soft just for trying - and I liked. Sometimes I'm missing a bit of bounce on the BH.

BTW: what's your opinion about the difference between H3 soft and H3 37 Provincial?
Maybe I should give the 8-80 a try?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Old men are not that easy to tempt (no?) :sneaky:

As you can see on my complete list, I used several ESN. The last one was J&H 2.1. I bought a 2nd-hand H3 soft just for trying - and I liked. Sometimes I'm missing a bit of bounce on the BH.

BTW: what's your opinion about the difference between H3 soft and H3 37 Provincial?
Maybe I should give the 8-80 a try?
Now please don't go SOFT on me. 😂
I never owned a provincial rubber so can not give advise .
I am much older than you and not a good player but I do know that
going softer and bouncier is not the way. I normally play cheap tacky chinese rubbers, 38 to 40 hardness . Speed and spin have to be made with the technique, not the rubber or even the blade.

Willkommen zum forum und viel spass

Reactions: ttarc
Now please don't go SOFT on me. 😂
I never owned a provincial rubber so can not give advise .
I am much older than you and not a good player but I do know that
going softer and bouncier is not the way. I normally play cheap tacky chinese rubbers, 38 to 40 hardness . Speed and spin have to be made with the technique, not the rubber or even the blade.

Willkommen zum forum und viel spass
Dankeschön!

Do you know, the "Soft" declaration is related to a European rule? It seems, the H3 Market has too large tolerances with the hardness. Personally, I'm talking about 37/38 hardness for my BH. That's 46-50 ESN and not "soft" in general terms.

Reactions: lodro
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
729 sponge offer a variety of thickness to choose from. H3 is hard like a marble board, and the innate sponge of 2.1 is too thick to play a tricky game. Versatily, tricky play is the most desirable attainment , indeed. It makes you a Black Magician of a kind. 1.7-1.8 mm would be the optimum.

Last edited: