His Name is Liam Pitchford

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Are there any choppers remaining?

Jan 2018
Better than expected run. It will become progressively harder from here on as people take notice of him. Training and coaching conditions will need an overhaul to keep up. Start with getting a personal coach, perhaps?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It’s crazy that Zheng Peifeng isn’t in the top 20. It shows how flawed the ranking system is. We need a global system like chess where every official game in any federation counts in the ranking system.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

You can build one or use Ratings Central. In sports like table tennis, such rankings discourage participation in tour events.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
You can build one or use Ratings Central. In sports like table tennis, such rankings discourage participation in tour events.

The funny thing is due to the high amount pf prizes, tennis has exactly the opposite problem, where injured players participate in the tour events to get the base money, and call it quits within the first set. I think money can solve the participation problem quite easily. But getting investments are not quite easy for table tennis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The funny thing is due to the high amount pf prizes, tennis has exactly the opposite problem, where injured players participate in the tour events to get the base money, and call it quits within the first set. I think money can solve the participation problem quite easily. But getting investments are not quite easy for table tennis.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
Money can solve participation for the lower level players, but it doesn't for the top players who may cherry pick how often they play for personal reasons. It's part of the reason why the TT tour has participation requirements - money is important, but it isn't everything. See Roger Federer as an example, who is picking his events to protect his form. That's essentially what the CNT did under the old system. So did players like Boll.

Under the new system, we have seen Boll play much more often except when he is legitimately injured. Ultimately, I know others may not care, but I prefer this and find it more important than the focus on the rankings reflecting true playing strength.

Reactions: doraemon and perham
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
I got accustomed to the new WR system. Initially I thought it was idiotic. But as soon as you accept it's not meant to faithfully reflect who's the best player, or who's the most likely to win the next WTTC, you should come to appreciate that
1) it has possibly made pro tours more interesting to the viewers;
2) it does reflect who had the most success in ITTF events over the past year (++, with grand slam events); let's get real, this is highly correlated with who's been the best over the past year.

You can only get so many unlucky draws, and if you're really among top players you should be able to get through on average. If you don't play it's your problem, not the world ranking's. Maybe the new system is particularly inadequate to judge player's strength beyond WR 100(?), or whenever the requirement to play many events and the randomness introduced by the draws start to kick in badly, but many of us don't care much about the world ranking beyond the top 20 or top 50 anyway.
The old system had flaws too, it was a bit too conservative, like many association's national rankings, and this is equally annoying.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Money can solve participation for the lower level players, but it doesn't for the top players who may cherry pick how often they play for personal reasons. It's part of the reason why the TT tour has participation requirements - money is important, but it isn't everything. See Roger Federer as an example, who is picking his events to protect his form. That's essentially what the CNT did under the old system. So did players like Boll.

Under the new system, we have seen Boll play much more often except when he is legitimately injured. Ultimately, I know others may not care, but I prefer this and find it more important than the focus on the rankings reflecting true playing strength.

I agree with this completely! It's so much better to see the top players play regularly!

Reactions: NextLevel