How do you minimize unassembled downtime when boosting?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
I am interested in boosting my hurricane rubbers, but I wonder how do people minimize the unassembled paddle downtime?

For example, would having two separate h3 rubbers, switching between them back and forth work? Like while nearing the end of the boosted effects of rubber 1, start boosting rubber 2, and then swap and repeat for X times?

I want to optimize for

1. minimize downtime of paddle availability (i have 1 paddle)
2. maximize lifespan of each rubber.

Or would this approach not work because the h3 rubbers would age while glued and unglued such that I will hit the end of their lifespans faster than if I just used each rubber exclusively

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I am interested in boosting my hurricane rubbers, but I wonder how do people minimize the unassembled paddle downtime?

For example, would having two separate h3 rubbers, switching between them back and forth work? Like while nearing the end of the boosted effects of rubber 1, start boosting rubber 2, and then swap and repeat for X times?

I want to optimize for

1. minimize downtime of paddle availability (i have 1 paddle)
2. maximize lifespan of each rubber.

Or would this approach not work because the h3 rubbers would age while glued and unglued such that I will hit the end of their lifespans faster than if I just used each rubber exclusively
your method is fine.

How often do you play?
reboost time is a lot shorter than first boost.
ie reboost, one layer is fine, and normally 12 hours is enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
your method is fine.

How often do you play?
I play every day, probably 18 hours a week.

I see, in this case I can just use 1 rubber at a time except when completing switching, I can boost the new rubber while playing for the last time with the older rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
your method is fine.

How often do you play?
I agree with Tony.

Your method is fine.

When I initially boost, I put 3-4 layers. I wait 24 hours in between because, well, I am busy working during the day and do other stuff with my life. So I boost late at night and once a day, late at night, works well.

Then when I reboost, the rubber just gets one layer and I can slap it back on the next day. I wait 24 hours again.

I find the hurricane to hit the sweet spot when I reboost with that layer. I said it before. I don't know why. The amount of tackiness is just about right. The rubber was already chemically broken into with the first set of boosting. Then the rubber was mechnically broken into after being play for a couple months (sorry, I am too lazy to reboost every 2-4 weeks and I have several paddles so I move from one to another). After all that, that's when the hurricane comes ALIVE.

I have only bought commcericial version of H3 neo and when it comes alive, I have no desire to get provincial or national version.

Another way of doing it is to have an affordable blade, multiple copies and just move from one blade to another. I have 8 copies of a $40 blade so that is equivalent of one Butterfly super ZLC blade. Hence my anti-Butterfly sentiment.

Reactions: TT Lover and lodro
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
I agree with Tony.

Your method is fine.

When I initially boost, I put 3-4 layers. I wait 24 hours in between because, well, I am busy working during the day and do other stuff with my life. So I boost late at night and once a day, late at night, works well.

Then when I reboost, the rubber just gets one layer and I can slap it back on the next day. I wait 24 hours again.

I find the hurricane to hit the sweet spot when I reboost with that layer. I said it before. I don't know why. The amount of tackiness is just about right. The rubber was already chemically broken into with the first set of boosting. Then the rubber was mechnically broken into after being play for a couple months (sorry, I am too lazy to reboost every 2-4 weeks and I have several paddles so I move from one to another). After all that, that's when the hurricane comes ALIVE.

I have only bought commcericial version of H3 neo and when it comes alive, I have no desire to get provincial or national version.

Another way of doing it is to have an affordable blade, multiple copies and just move from one blade to another. I have 8 copies of a $40 blade so that is equivalent of one Butterfly super ZLC blade. Hence my anti-Butterfly sentiment.
8 of the same...are they the one shown on your profile? how much do they differ in weight and/or frequency?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
8 of the same...are they the one shown on your profile? how much do they differ in weight and/or frequency?
Yes I have 8 Gambler Blackout carbons. I used to have 10 until I sold 2 to my friends at the club. One played with Viscaria with Dignics on both side. I got him broken into H3 neo on the forehand side and Rakza 7 soft (my favorite set up) on the backhand side. He likes it very much! Does he go back to Vscaria with Dignics here and there? Yeah. His shot is more powerful but also hitting a lot off the edge of the table.

Another gentleman I sold it to has Xiom Vega Japan on the BH side. He likes it too. But he is still EJ'ing so he acquire two more blades after getting one off of me. And he spent $330 on a Jun Mitsutani. I think my set-up is definitely better for his development but everyone should feel free to spend money so they please.

Currently 8 blades, 6 has hurricane on the FH, the BH's are BlueFire M2, Rakza 7 soft, Xiom Vega Japan, Rozena, FX-D and Xiom Vega Pro. All of them feel about the same to my backhand except Vega Pro is a bit hard for me right now. Rozena is a new set-up because again I want to see why the heck that is the number one selling rubber in Japan; they love it over there. One more blade I just set up with black Dignics 09 to see what all the fuss is about this hybrid rubber. One last blade is loaned out to a friend who wants to put his own rubbers to see if it suits his playing style (he is about 1800 using short pips; he is very very picky about his blade because not all short pips work well with just any carbon blade. He was impressed enough to ask me for a loaner blade so I ripped both rubbers off and gave it to him to try. He should get back to me this week about how he likes it). So all 8 blades accounted for.

If you want Gambler blades, you can PM me. I love Gambler blades and I hate Gambler rubbers. I am very honest about my opinion. Gambler Vector Speed is just like Gambler Blackout but a tad bit slower. Both are my favorites. Gambler Dragon series (Fast, Hinoki and Touch) just feel too stiff and too fast for me. Yes they advertise Touch to be inner carbon and I agree. But the wood they use on that series is a bit too stiff for my taste. AC Hero something wrong with the handle and shape; I do not like. Vector Target is too slow but could be a good blade for somene wanting more control. Pure 7 is an all wood blade slightly faster than DJ Fly which is also all wood. I like Pure 7. It has enough power than slower carbon and has the feel of an all wood blade. I will write a more comprehensive review on Gambler blades one of the days when I am done testing out all the blades.

But again, I have zero interest in testing out their rubbers. I got an intial batch of Gambler rubbers 3 years ago and half of them are still not open because the other half just...well, don't perform well to put it lightly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I forgot your other questions.

They different in weight more than +/- 2 gram. I weighed them. And I weighed 10 of them.

As for how they play (like stiffness and frequency), I have no machine to test that. But with forehand being all hurricane and backhand has soft, bouncy ESN rubbers, I am happy with all 10 blades.

Side topic, I swear one of the 10 blades had too much lacquer on it. I had trouble slapping two rubbers to both sides of that blade. I eventually did it and it played fine. Am I happy about it? No. Am I angry about it? No. For goodness sake, for $40 a blade, I don't care about that minor issue. I will just buy two more.... Lol!

Side topic, I have Viscaria and Acoustic outer carbon. I still like Gambler. And three other people in the club have already come onboard already so it is not my imagination. I just find Viscaria and Acoutic outer carbon to be too fast. What can you say? When it is too fast, it is too fast. I have used Xiom Vega Europe to tame my Acoustic outer carbon. It works well but I would not use that set up if I were to play in a tournament.

Reactions: hclnnkhg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
I agree with Tony.

Your method is fine.

How often do you boost and how and when do you decide its time to retire a rubber instead of reboosting?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
How often do you boost and how and when do you decide its time to retire a rubber instead of reboosting?
I wait a couple months to reboost. I retire a rubber only when the top sheet becomes anti. The sponge with each reboost actually becomes softer and more springy. It is a lot of fun to play with that hurricane. So I use the top sheet as the determining factor as to when I retire a rubber. The sponge is not the problem at all.