Which one would be best for my FH? (SEE VIDEO) H3 Pro BS | H3 Nat BS | 729 II Pro

says sidespin for the win
Get prov orange sponge. Its an upgrade from commercial by a lot. Is faster, takes less time to get used to. You're not a bad player, and you can definetly use bs in the future as you have the sufficient power to use it. But you don't generate much friction on the ball, so maybe a hybrid will be better for you, no need hassle of boosting.
What do you mean by the friction part exactly?

It’s a personal preference, not a linear correlation (i.e. 41 isn’t better than 40 for everyone). I play chop, loop and lots of service variations that’s why I prefer 41d.

And yes 2 layers of Seamoon is very safe on a 40d.

But I would caution you on 41d. I would try 3 very thin layers.

The difference between 41d and 40d on DHS scale is far greater than the difference between 47 and 48 on ESN scale.

What that means is that in the 41d sponge, DHS stuffed a lot more tiny pores than in the 40d for the same dimension. Those tiny pores are designed to absorb the Seamoon oil.

So that means 3 layers on 41d could mean a far greater effect than 2 layers on 40d. The boosted 41d can become monstrously fast.

So if you boost 41d, make sure the layers are thin.

The rule for boosting is - you can always add more layers, but you can’t save an overboosted rubber.
Ok, I'm just gonna go with 40d. I can try 41d later.

If I decide I want to add another layer of booster after I glued the rubber to the blade I have to get rid of the rubber and start the whole process again, right?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
My main favorite is Hurricane because I already have a good experience with it. However, I came across 729 II Provincial, and people say it is much faster, stickier, and has more control than H3 Commercial. Overall, people were raving about 729 II Provincial in the reviews. It is also cheaper.
Moreover, regarding TG2, I mainly read reviews stating that it is not very fast. For these reasons, I haven't included TG2 in my selection. But maybe you know something that I don't, so feel free to share.
You should consider the 729 - Battle Max Pro too, as it's available in 41deg as well

what about TG2 provincial 40 hardness ?
What are the other advantages/disadvantages compared to H3 BS or OS?

SFF_lib said:
People say TG2 is slow refer to the speed with low-medium impact. Once you fully punch through the rubber, you will see the monstrous spin and speed in Xu Xin’s game. In short, you need very good physiques and techniques to drive TG2.
Is blocking harder with TG2?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Ok, I'm just gonna go with 40d. I can try 41d later.

If I decide I want to add another layer of booster after I glued the rubber to the blade I have to get rid of the rubber and start the whole process again, right?

No you don’t. Just peel off the rubber, apply a layer. But due to the old glue on the sponge, it might take some time to curl.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Do you mean any H3? Which version would you recommend to me?
Province bs 40, Nat 41 bs, try province first, if you are first time try. About boost, I suggest 2 layers for new rubber after 2023 January! 3 layers will be Best but if you can't do thin layer, and the rubber will to reactive too the booster. This is too much! That's why 2 layers first. After boosted, give about five hours of play to let the rubber awake. Then you can enjoy a sacrely weapon about 2 months.

Attachments

• 20230902_231446.mp4
    4.9 MB
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
To me, it looks like your technique is solid enough that you can use whatever you want. Try one. If you want to try a different one next time, go for it....and so on.

The only thing I wish with that video you posted is that you showed more of your play. The clips in the video look like it is just a collection of your best points and we can't see points where your opponent makes you really uncomfortable or struggle. So, we only get to see what you do well.

Still, that being said, your strokes are good, your technique is solid. You're making good spin contact. You show you can loop backspin solidly and are able to loop anything that comes to you long. When you hit that mark, equipment is just something you decide on. You are not constrained the same way someone who is trying to learn those skills you demonstrate would be.

So, choose one. Use it till it is done. Then, if you like it enough to not try something else, keep what you tried. If you are thinking, "I want to try the next thing," go for it. The issue for you at your level is not what will help you improve anymore but what feels good to you and what you like using.

The main thing for improving for you would be the kinds of training you do to work on:
a) The skills you are already good at.
b) The skills that need a little work but are adequate.
c) The skills that need the most work.

Do you have any footage of you playing vs someone who is good at short game and can keep the ball short and low on you in the serve and receive phase of the game? I did not watch the whole vide but skipped around and all the serves and pushes I saw were clearly long and clearing the end of the table by a notable margin: for you, most of those seem easy to loop.

I saw one push somewhere in there where you popped the ball up. But for the most part, when you chose to push vs a long serve, your pushes seemed solid too. But in jumping around, I did not see anything where your opponent kept you having to take the ball what the ball was still low and over the table instead of coming way off the end line.

Anyway, your play and technique are solid. Rest assured, you can just choose what you want to use.

Reactions: ben1229
You don't really rub on the ball much, you just up and hit it. AVctually, you might consider using d09c on ur fh. It suits your hard hitting style a bit more. Or get a 39deg orange provincial. Boost it 2-3 layers.
Do you mean when I'm hitting topspin or when I'm smashing the ball that is high above the table?

I can see that you enjoy mid distance looping. Me too 😁

I’ve used all the rubbers you mentioned. I’ve been boosting for over 10 years.

Unless you have too much cash lying around, I would recommend provincial H3 OS 40 degrees.

Why?

OS vs BS - easier to generate spin and speed with OS. However, the top gear is more dangerous with BS.

39 vs 40 degrees- let’s say you use Seamoon booster oil (I wouldn’t use anything else), for 39 degree the very maximum is 3 thin layers.
If you’ve applied too much booster the sponge (and possibly the topsheet) is ruined. What you call thin might be thick for someone else. It’s very subjective. It means someone an ruin a 39 degree with 2 layers while another person apply truly 3 thin layers and the rubber is fine.

So it’s safer to boost a 40 degree H3 for your first trial.
I love lobbing and doing looping shots from a distance even more, but with the new training hall (the one in the video) being considerably smaller than the previous one, I can no longer do these (sad Xu Xin noises). By the way, are you also a penholder?:)

Anyway, I've decided to purchase two rubbers - H3 OS Pro 40d and H3 BS Pro 40d. I can't wait for them to arrive. I'll apply two layers of booster and see how that goes. As for the hardness, I plan to gradually transition to H3 BS 41d. I believe I'll enjoy it, and if not, I can always go back to 40d. That's the current game plan.

Thanks again. I truly appreciate it. Do you happen to have any videos of your gameplay?

To me, it looks like your technique is solid enough that you can use whatever you want. Try one. If you want to try a different one next time, go for it....and so on.

The only thing I wish with that video you posted is that you showed more of your play. The clips in the video look like it is just a collection of your best points and we can't see points where your opponent makes you really uncomfortable or struggle. So, we only get to see what you do well.

Still, that being said, your strokes are good, your technique is solid. You're making good spin contact. You show you can loop backspin solidly and are able to loop anything that comes to you long. When you hit that mark, equipment is just something you decide on. You are not constrained the same way someone who is trying to learn those skills you demonstrate would be.

So, choose one. Use it till it is done. Then, if you like it enough to not try something else, keep what you tried. If you are thinking, "I want to try the next thing," go for it. The issue for you at your level is not what will help you improve anymore but what feels good to you and what you like using.

The main thing for improving for you would be the kinds of training you do to work on:
a) The skills you are already good at.
b) The skills that need a little work but are adequate.
c) The skills that need the most work.

Do you have any footage of you playing vs someone who is good at short game and can keep the ball short and low on you in the serve and receive phase of the game? I did not watch the whole vide but skipped around and all the serves and pushes I saw were clearly long and clearing the end of the table by a notable margin: for you, most of those seem easy to loop.

I saw one push somewhere in there where you popped the ball up. But for the most part, when you chose to push vs a long serve, your pushes seemed solid too. But in jumping around, I did not see anything where your opponent kept you having to take the ball what the ball was still low and over the table instead of coming way off the end line.

Anyway, your play and technique are solid. Rest assured, you can just choose what you want to use.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback. It's very encouraging to hear that you find my technique solid.

Regarding your question about footage against someone skilled at the short game, I want to be upfront – the main objective of my video wasn't to dive deep into specific technical challenges or areas for improvement. It was more about offering a general glimpse into my playing style, strokes, and footwork.

Hope that provides some clarity!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback. It's very encouraging to hear that you find my technique solid.

Regarding your question about footage against someone skilled at the short game, I want to be upfront – the main objective of my video wasn't to dive deep into specific technical challenges or areas for improvement. It was more about offering a general glimpse into my playing style, strokes, and footwork.

Hope that provides some clarity!

I did know that. And the footage shows, you should choose equipment based on what feels good to you since you are past the level an equipment mismatch would hamper your progress.

But, for me, analyzing footage, it would be much more fun to watch footage of you, playing someone who can make you struggle and work harder for points than in most of the footage in the video. That footage still stands on its own merits. You handle a decent amount of spin and know how to deal it back. The footage shows your technique is good enough for you to choose the equipment you want. But after seeing one player hit winner after winner and be mainly unchallenged, that footage is not interesting to watch. Nor does it inform us of your complete game. It simply highlights what you do well.

Again, for the purposes of choosing equipment, that is fine. For someone interested in seeing you actually play, a little unenlightening and perhaps not so interesting after a few rallies.

So, even if you gave a video of what you would like people on the forum to see..... :)

My main favorite is Hurricane because I already have a good experience with it. However, I came across 729 II Provincial, and people say it is much faster, stickier, and has more control than H3 Commercial. Overall, people were raving about 729 II Provincial in the reviews. It is also cheaper.
Moreover, regarding TG2, I mainly read reviews stating that it is not very fast. For these reasons, I haven't included TG2 in my selection. But maybe you know something that I don't, so feel free to share.
Tg2 is an excellent rubber
very spinny, excellent touch game, and control
but it is very hard and is even slower than hurricane, so you need to be a very powerful and skilled player to use it.
But when you hit good loops with it, the low arc is so deadly and hard to return.

Tg2 is an excellent rubber
very spinny, excellent touch game, and control
but it is very hard and is even slower than hurricane, so you need to be a very powerful and skilled player to use it.
But when you hit good loops with it, the low arc is so deadly and hard to return.
So, based on the video, would you recommend H3 or TG2?

I did know that. And the footage shows, you should choose equipment based on what feels good to you since you are past the level an equipment mismatch would hamper your progress.

But, for me, analyzing footage, it would be much more fun to watch footage of you, playing someone who can make you struggle and work harder for points than in most of the footage in the video. That footage still stands on its own merits. You handle a decent amount of spin and know how to deal it back. The footage shows your technique is good enough for you to choose the equipment you want. But after seeing one player hit winner after winner and be mainly unchallenged, that footage is not interesting to watch. Nor does it inform us of your complete game. It simply highlights what you do well.

Again, for the purposes of choosing equipment, that is fine. For someone interested in seeing you actually play, a little unenlightening and perhaps not so interesting after a few rallies.

So, even if you gave a video of what you would like people on the forum to see..... :)
Hahaha. I'll keep that in mind for the future. It has to not only showcase technique and all the aspects around it but also be entertaining for the viewers. Got it.

By the way, I have only videos where I play only with friends from the club, and they all play quite straightforwardly and (fortunately for me) don't chop too much. Not that I don't have a good short game. It just isn't as enjoyable as looping rallies. It might not be evident from the video, but in the short game, I usually outperform opponents when playing in tournaments. I chop the ball for a moment before it gets closer to the line, and then attack. It's also not so hard for me to gently lift the ball with my wrist during the short game, which can disrupt opponents as it turns into a float ball for them.

It's tougher to play against long pips, though. They all seem to play in their own way, with various strokes and different rubbers. Some react more to spin, and some less. It's challenging to adapt to that, especially when they can still attack with it as well. And then, of course, there are those who switch sides of the racket. With them, I'm always a bit shaken because I have to stay focused 100% throughout the entire match.

Anyways, I'm very curious about how my short game will further improve when I switch to H3. The only potential issue might be my TPB. With Hammond, it bounces off very nicely, and I've gotten used to incredibly smooth fishing – just need to angle the racket. When there's less spin, a gentle push ensures the ball comfortably lands on the other side. But I'll see; perhaps a boosted H3 will have very similar properties in this regard as Hammond.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl