How does the US TT rating work?

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews

However USATT has made this confusing by introducing a separate ranking system like ITTF
IMO these are fake & pretentious because on the USATT rating system it is like as you said, the rankings are like the inverse of the rating (Higher your rating, lower your ranking number & vice versa)
But unless i am mistaken, the difference is that the new ranking system is more like a participation award I think. You get points for participating and winning matches & no penalty for losing.
My understanding is that the ranking system is more like from bridge where the more you just play, the more your ranking will be as long as you keep winning matches without worrying about losses. If I am not mistaken ITTF rakings are somewhat like this.
USATT has said that they will keep both systems but we will see.
So wait, a better player has more or less ranking points?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I've heard it's like chess elo, so is the higher number a higher ranked player like in chess?
Very similar. It is based on the likely hood of victory given a point spread. For instance, a difference of 100 USATT rating points means the stronger player will win about 5 out of 6 matches. The USATT table of points one or lost based on the ratings difference is similar to the USCF table. It is based on a sigmoid function. The x scale has the ratings difference and the y scale goes from 0 to 1 which is a probability. This topic has been covered on this forum a year to two years back.

May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Very similar. It is based on the likely hood of victory given a point spread. For instance, a difference of 100 USATT rating points means the stronger player will win about 5 out of 6 matches. The USATT table of points one or lost based on the ratings difference is similar to the USCF table. It is based on a sigmoid function. The x scale has the ratings difference and the y scale goes from 0 to 1 which is a probability. This topic has been covered on this forum a year to two years back.
I think I get it now, thanks for the explanation!

May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Ranking points & rating points are different & are on two diferent databases (at least in USA).
On the Ratings database the player with most rating points has the highest ranking but it is indicated by lowest number #1
On the Rankings database the player with most ranking points has the highest ranking but it is indicated by the lowest number #1
Ranking points & ratings points are calculated using different methods however.
I hope this is confusing enough for you.:rolleyes:
Oh yeah that's confusing alright😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis