How does Timo Boll win at his age?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
The really impressive thing is that Timo beat Jang Woojin, Lee Sangsu, Lin Yun-Ju and Tomokazu Harimoto by refusing to give up the table and often hitting everything off the bounce quicker than these much younger players. European chicken wing loop for the win! :)

He doesn't let the players play the game. I watched him against Lin yun ru, and i hardly recall lin doing his signiture backhand many times. So he dominates with his own style and forces the opposition to play kinda defensive.
I agree. But yesterday (final) I got worried, cause it seemed to turn against Timo. The match against Lin was much more dominant. My feeling - sometimes a lefty/lefty gets strange.

I was wondering, if Timo was using a new blade ... his hard strokes sounded much brighter

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
What he loses in speed and endurance he has gained in experience and strategy.

If you noticed he doesn't leave the table anymore and plays with angles much more than he used to, he's a completely different player to what he used to be 5 years ago.

From a runner that matched Kreanga's speed and power to now the most experienced player on his level, having played with everyone and knowing what works and what doesn't. Nowadays he doesn't really chase the ball, he sets everything up and can somewhat predict, or more correctly, understand what his opponent will do, before they do it.

In other words, he plays with his head more than his body.

says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews
The really impressive thing is that Timo beat Jang Woojin, Lee Sangsu, Lin Yun-Ju and Tomokazu Harimoto by refusing to give up the table and often hitting everything off the bounce quicker than these much younger players. European chicken wing loop for the win! :)
have to admire that super quick reflex of Timo Boll

This user has no status.
What I noticed is that Timo Boll went back to his old style of prioritising speed and position over spin. He no longer waits for the ball to drop to spin it, instead he just hits it early and goes through the ball. Also he is using his body to flick through the ball much better now especially against sidetopspin serves.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
TB played very well, not only taking the ball off the bounce, but there were some really heavy trade mark FH top spins as well.

Reactions: vvk1
says Aging is a killer
I agree. But yesterday (final) I got worried, cause it seemed to turn against Timo. The match against Lin was much more dominant. My feeling - sometimes a lefty/lefty gets strange.

I was wondering, if Timo was using a new blade ... his hard strokes sounded much brighter
"I was wondering, if Timo was using a new blade ... his hard strokes sounded much brighter"
It was probably due to microphone type and placement. But one can never be certain 🤔