How much $ do you spend on coaching?

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
I don't have regular coaching, but I regularly practice with 2 or 3 players. We do drills and swap roles for feeding.

Last week I had my first 1 on 1 coaching session in a very long time (because for the life of me I could not figure out how to play BH properly). that's 70 GBP for 2 hours. After the lesson (I recorded it), I have been working on consolidating what I was taught with my practice partners. I don't imagine I will have 1 on 1 coaching more than once a month.

Reactions: FrenchFrog33
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I'm not sure how helpful coaching would be for me. I find that most of my mistakes are not about the physical technique, but more about the judgement of the ball.

I played a guy last night, he is really not very good at all. But I lost a lot of unnecessary points to him because I often misread the amount of spin on his push. Sometimes I underestimated the spin, sometimes overestimated.

Jan 2023
I'm not sure how helpful coaching would be for me. I find that most of my mistakes are not about the physical technique, but more about the judgement of the ball.

I played a guy last night, he is really not very good at all. But I lost a lot of unnecessary points to him because I often misread the amount of spin on his push. Sometimes I underestimated the spin, sometimes overestimated.
A coach should be able to help with technical issues like reading the spin on the ball. They can also help with physical and tactical issues to some extent. Mentality is probably the only thing a coach may not be able to help a lot IMO.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
$100/hour, and depending on availability one 1-hour session or one 2-hour session per week. Found a former Olympian who coaches, and lives just 20 minutes from where I live, what a coincidence.

My first coach when I just started was $30/hour, and I did two 1-hour sessions and one 2-hour sessions per week

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
i pay too much, and i don't have a lot of return on investment if i consider only match results.

i still have a lot of fun and joy training with high level coaches
what level is your coach? My impression in Japan is that there are many different categories of coaches. There are genuinely elite coaches and schools like the Harimoto school, then there are more hobbyist schools where maybe a 2000-2200 level player could be employed as a coach.

Jan 2023
$100/hour, and depending on availability one 1-hour session or one 2-hour session per week. Found a former Olympian who coaches, and lives just 20 minutes from where I live, what a coincidence.

My first coach when I just started was $30/hour, and I did two 1-hour sessions and one 2-hour sessions per week
what is the difference between the two coaches? do they teach the same stroke differently?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
For US, her name is Yue Wu, was one of Lily Zhang’s teammates for the 2016 Olympic Games if I remember correctly.
cool, I'm just guessing that she was also a Chinese provincial player in the past?

I remember I walked into a Bay Area TT club one time, and there was a Chinese young lady coach that was stunningly beautiful and crazy cute. I think she was also from some provincial team...but I never got her name

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

LOL, $30/hour reminds me when one of my friends asked me to coach their kid for like $25/hour.

Yes, lowly level me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
what is the difference between the two coaches? do they teach the same stroke differently?
They were both from China, so the strokes they teach are more or less the same. My current coach teaches a lot of the details behind the strokes, and what game strategies to apply in different situations, and focuses on fixing bad habits. My former coach taught mostly just forms. Another thing about the price difference is, there were no court fees before (my office has a game room with a Butterfly Centerfold 25), and it was a small college town. Considering the crazy inflation over the past two years and I’m now living in one of the bigger cities in the states, $100 an hour isn’t too bad of a deal. My friend who taught in NYC PingPod also charges $100 an hour, which includes $20 court fee, and I’d say he and my coach is roughly the same level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
cool, I'm just guessing that she was also a Chinese provincial player in the past?

I remember I walked into a Bay Area TT club one time, and there was a Chinese young lady coach that was stunningly beautiful and crazy cute. I think she was also from some provincial team...but I never got her name
Yeah, she used to play for Beijing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
In Vietnam an hour of coaching ranges from 200-250K VND which is around $8.50-$10.50. The cost of living is cheap enough that having just a handful of students is enough to earn a living.
A bowl of Pho in Vietnam is about $3. So 1 hour of teaching gets you 3 bowls of Pho.

In US, a bowl of Pho is like $12 now. So it's equivalent to getting paid $36/hr according to the international Pho-Price index

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews