How to set your mind before the match?

says Just got my first racquet!
For me, I never think about the scores, but rather the point I'm trying to win. Every point is a battle that you fight for and rather than focusing on the overall outcome, you should focus on the individual steps you have to take in order to get to the outcome you want. It's a common problem even in the professional world. If you listen to any of the reportages on the Chinese players, most of their failures come from freezing up and caring too much about winning the match.

says To live long and play pinpong!
Mar 2012
For me, I never think about the scores, but rather the point I'm trying to win. Every point is a battle that you fight for and rather than focusing on the overall outcome, you should focus on the individual steps you have to take in order to get to the outcome you want. It's a common problem even in the professional world. If you listen to any of the reportages on the Chinese players, most of their failures come from freezing up and caring too much about winning the match.

Thnks sir! I will note that in my mind.

This is also my problem.....
BUT recently, I cured this sickness..
I was Inferior towards better players, which made me nervous ofcourse..
What helped me is the saying "You are better than what you think." and "No one can tell you what you should be."

Mar 2012
This is also my problem.....
BUT recently, I cured this sickness..
I was Inferior towards better players, which made me nervous ofcourse..
What helped me is the saying "You are better than what you think." and "No one can tell you what you should be."

Kababayan! does thinking your superior to your opponent makes your guard down?

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
It's always tricky:). You have to be confident, but not overly confident. You must be cautious, but not to the extend you freeze up. You have to respect every opponent, but not too much respects that will prevent you from playing your game. Confuse? Me too hahaha

The real trick here is to strike the right balance. Play a point at a time. If you make mistakes, you have to learn to forget about them quickly and not dwell on them. The best is to dominate your opponents quickly. Let them play your game rather than you playing theirs. Find their weak areas early in the match and go at them on every point. Unsettle them and make them uncomfortable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I would practice some breathing exercises to help calm your nerves. It's best to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth when playing and calming yourself down. Also try to have a lot more fun when playing. Worry less about who wins and loses, but rather worry about making better shots. At the end of each point think to yourself how could I have made a better or more consistent shot. Even if you're winning the game or winning the points you should really work on this so that when it counts you can stop and take a time out or in between during towel breaks think about what you can do better.

Also it helps if you go over in your head quickly before each service (take your time for service otherwise nerves can get the best of you) what worked best against your opponent and what worked least. By doing this you can really keep your tactics in order. Try a rule of 3's. If after 3 shots in a row you are aiming at his backhand and he is consistent enough to attack your shots then that is most likely a strong point in their game. If however he was successful only 1 or 2 times keep putting pressure until he makes 3 good counters to your attacks. The same goes for pushes or services it will help to break down his game and give you an idea where to attack and where not to attack.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
On the contrary the time during towel breaks is a good opportunity to NOT think about the game. It is proven that you cannot maintain your full focus for the entire length of the match without taking short breaks. Take your time, use towel breaks to clear your head and go back to the table refocused. Each point is different, make sure you concentrate on the moment and not on any of the previous points. At the end of each point, take away what went well and can be used again, analyse what may have gone wrong and move to prevent it in future, then forget the point and focus foreward. That's the best advice I can give you.

Mar 2012
we have the same problem marvin, it is my first to join a tournament it will be held tomorrow and the bad news is that i don't have any coach.

Worry not pal! Just apply those comments above and you will see a big change in your game. Just yesterday I experience the great effect on focusing on returning the ball nice, enjoying every stroke you make, play on your phase not your opponent and position your body were you are comfortable on hitting the ball. Trust me bro it works!:cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Believe in yourself ... and don't start thinking: I am going to win, I have to win. When you start thinking about the win you will lose. That's at least my experience.
Stay relaxed and give your best. If you give your best it will be easier to accept a defeat. And you can't do more than giving your best.
It doesn't matter.

This user has no status.
Believe in yourself ... and don't start thinking: I am going to win, I have to win. When you start thinking about the win you will lose. That's at least my experience.
Stay relaxed and give your best. If you give your best it will be easier to accept a defeat. And you can't do more than giving your best.
It doesn't matter.

Thank you very much sir.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews