How well would Ma Lin do in these modern times?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Grand Slam holder, no less. Second weakest era after the previous. Look at ML's final opponents in the 3 majors since WTTC 2015. A complete joke.

Jan 2018
Just look at F. Lebrun.

• Haha
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
Put prime Ma Lin in a time machine and enter him in the Saudi Smash and he wouldn't go very far. The 40+ game is different. I think he'd eventually adjust and make top 10 or even top 5, but no chance for number 1 unless he could start again as a junior.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
I think it depends on how you're framing it.

If you just take Ma Lin as he was, kidnap him in a time machine and just plant him into this era, I think he'd actually struggle some. I remember how the CNT coaching staff talked about the plastic ball when they were testing it, and about how players 'like' Ma Lin won't happen again. There's not enough craft in the sport with the plastic ball, the finer technical skills matter less. We would not have seen Harimoto be as good as early in my opinion on the old ball for example. There's a lower skill ceiling and it's more about athleticism than before, and a less about the fine skills.

But you could take Ma Lin and train him up in this era instead of when he came up and the special characteristics he had as an individual would surely lead to him being a top of the top player just the same. But he'd have learned differently and adapted differently than he did in the older days, and would have a different game for sure.

Inversely I think someone like Wang Liqin would absolutely thrive in this era whichever way you frame it. Underrated backhand stability, 1 out of 1 level of forehand quality and power, and top tier speed and athleticism. His forehand would have less weight on the plastic ball, but alternatively could be even more dominant because of how indiscriminately he could get it into play I reckon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Put prime Ma Lin in a time machine and enter him in the Saudi Smash and he wouldn't go very far. The 40+ game is different. I think he'd eventually adjust and make top 10 or even top 5, but no chance for number 1 unless he could start again as a junior.
same logic if you do the same to ma long in 38mm days

I'm not sure if OP is meaning of time machine, or rather growing up in the modern age
if Ma Lin was born in this era, he would be top 3 in the world no doubt.
So many CNT players today are not even worthy to be in the same sentence with him
the number 1 penholder in the world is Felix....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Inversely I think someone like Wang Liqin would absolutely thrive in this era whichever way you frame it. Underrated backhand stability, 1 out of 1 level of forehand quality and power, and top tier speed and athleticism. His forehand would have less weight on the plastic ball, but alternatively could be even more dominant because of how indiscriminately he could get it into play I reckon.
its best of 5s today
WLQ only starts during game 2 or game 3....
that would be a slight problem

the world cups games of 3 or 4, would also be a problem for him