I have a Hurricane 3 neo orange sponge 39 degree and a Tenergy 05, ask me anything!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

It's difficult to know, and I appreciate a lot might get lost in translation.

But when I moved from T05 (which I'd used for years), to D09c..... There was a massive (MASSIVE) difference in speed.

D09c felt incredibly slow in comparison, especially when doing a simple knock up.

You get to feel more speed when you drop back and loop, but even then, the speed off the bat is still quite a bit less, but the extra spin and kick makes it all worth it!

I'd would be interested to know what drew you from T05 to D09c (rather than say to D05) and I would also be interested to know how it's working out for you now you've played it a while and if you enjoy what it offers?

NDH

says Spin to win!

I'd would be interested to know what drew you from T05 to D09c (rather than say to D05) and I would also be interested to know how it's working out for you now you've played it a while and if you enjoy what it offers?

The thing that drew me away from T05 was the lack of control when you aren't "on it".

It's so bouncy and sensitive to incoming spin, that any half hearted serve returns, or little pushes, end up being a disaster.

When I first used D09c, it felt like a cheap Chinese knock off of T05!

Hard, slow, required a lot of effort..... You could hear the loud "clack" of the blade, rather than subdued noise you get with T05.

But having played with it since Christmas, I won't be changing it for a long time.

You get more control, spin and touch and the only real sacrifice is the "low effort" shots, aren't anywhere near as good.

But the upside if you have the right technique is massive, and it's been a game changer for me.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

The thing that drew me away from T05 was the lack of control when you aren't "on it".

It's so bouncy and sensitive to incoming spin, that any half hearted serve returns, or little pushes, end up being a disaster.

Hard, slow, required a lot of effort..... You could hear the loud "clack" of the blade, rather than subdued noise you get with T05.

But having played with it since Christmas, I won't be changing it for a long time.

You get more control, spin and touch and the only real sacrifice is the "low effort" shots, aren't anywhere near as good.

But the upside if you have the right technique is massive, and it's been a game changer for me.

Makes sense - I certainly found it similar to your description but didn't quite feel I was up to it yet so headed back to a slightly slower (but similar in feel) H3 on FH and Fastarc C1 on BH, which I find linear and controllable. I hope to migrate back to D09C and D05 (BH) at some point into the future with some better developed basics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
D05 is NOT tacky, and although they advertise D09c as tacky, it’s not even close to tacky, compared to hurricane series.

Speed:
Speed from best to worst: D05, D09c and a big jump downward to H8 and then H3Neo
D05 is the fastest out of the four, with D09c coming right behind. D09c has the same speed as T05, if that helps. The hurricane series really lacks in the speed department, and I would recommend boosting, unless you use it on a REALLY REALLY fast carbon blade. H8 is definitely faster than H3Neo, but it’s not a game changer. Both are still much slower than Dignics.

Spin:
The spin of these rubbers are similar ranked from best to worst: H3Neo, H8, D09c, D05
On services the spin difference is pretty big. The Hurricanes excel in this department, because of the tackiness. D09c and D05 are similar in service spin.

Sponge hardness: From hardest to ‘softest’ H8, H3Neo, D09c and D05.

Did I answer your questions? If not, please ask more

What differences do you find with d05 and t05? I find that t05 feels soft and then catapults the ball, does the d05 have the same feeling?

How difficult is it to keep short touches with d05 in comparison to something like a h8?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
On the Butterfly website, it says that FZD is now using D09c. Can anybody confirm if this is true? Is it FH or BH for him?

says Aging is a killer

What differences do you find with d05 and t05? I find that t05 feels soft and then catapults the ball, does the d05 have the same feeling?
No. To common players, it takes quite a while to adjust to D05. Most T05 players that I know have switched to T05H simply because of the lower catapult effect and price (compared to D05), and the shorter time for adjustment in technique.

How difficult is it to keep short touches with d05 in comparison to something like a h8?
Using a robot for comparison, Ultimately, the H8 would win that competition for ease to return of an incoming short serve close to the server's side of the net. However, in practice, there's no difference in the hands of a calm, competent player. So, if you have nervous hands that get stiff in a match, then a soft sponge H8 is very handy for that stroke. I say the above from experiment with a robot and in matches.

As above

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer

A couple of weekends ago, I had a close up view of a few matches played by Grigory Vlasov, former world top 50. He used D09c/D05. The spin he developed with the D09c was terrific. His opponent blocked his loops off the table several times due to the high spin. His backspin serves were very difficult to handle.

It's difficult to know, and I appreciate a lot might get lost in translation.

But when I moved from T05 (which I'd used for years), to D09c..... There was a massive (MASSIVE) difference in speed.

D09c felt incredibly slow in comparison, especially when doing a simple knock up.

You get to feel more speed when you drop back and loop, but even then, the speed off the bat is still quite a bit less, but the extra spin and kick makes it all worth it!

You are correct, but in butterlfy’s official rubber chart, it states that they are similar in speed.
https://butterflyonline.com/Templates/RubberSpecifications.pdf
i didn’t want to argue with the brand itself and cause controversy 😅

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Any advise on rubber hardness for carbon blades v all wood blades?

Any advise on rubber hardness for carbon blades v all wood blades?

I mean this, and I say this to everyone. YOU NEED TO TELL US YOUR PLAYING STYLE BEFORE WE CAN GIVE YOU RECOMMENDATIONS. I’m not mad, but please tell us you playing style first. Are you a two winged looper, chopper, noob, pro etc.

says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019

I mean this, and I say this to everyone. YOU NEED TO TELL US YOUR PLAYING STYLE BEFORE WE CAN GIVE YOU RECOMMENDATIONS. I’m not mad, but please tell us you playing style first. Are you a two winged looper, chopper, noob, pro etc.

Style:When ball come on the right hit forehand, when ball come in body hit backhand, when ball come on left I look at it sadly as it continues. Recommendations please.

Style:When ball come on the right hit forehand, when ball come in body hit backhand, when ball come on left I look at it sadly as it continues. Recommendations please.

Ok, I would probably choose something a bit hard and fast for forehand, because then you can finish off the point. I would choose something soft and forgiving with a lot of control for backhand.
Suggestions:
Forehand: El-S, Mx-p, T05, Omega VII, Rasanter series, Rakza Z
All of these are for well developed player’s forehand
Backhand: Rakza 7 soft, Rakza X soft, Dhs Gold Arc 8 (although it isn’t soft, it has control)

Blade: All wood, in the All- to Off- range: Stiga Allround Classic, Stiga CNF (idk if I wrote that correctly), Yasaka Sweden guardian.

I still don’t know too much about your level, but I hope this helps.
Best Regards!

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
I actually have a question about hurricane 3. I've only had normal h3 neo and normal h3. Both lifted the topsheet from the sponge after about 6 months of use, no boost.

Does this happen with provincial as well?

Also, what's the difference between orange and blue sponge, is there a massive difference between them?